Laundry tips needed!

Old May 19th 04, 02:10 AM
Jill

Default Laundry tips needed!

Rachel has already had some massive diaper blow-outs. That's how I am 10000%
confident this baby is well fed with my milk! I haven't noticed a problem
with staining but oh my, laundry has to be done daily or it would be so
nasty- I can't just , say, rinse the offending garment/towel/cloth diaper
and let it stay that way for a while. I do laundry once a day. I am
currently using Dreft detergent because a lot of detergents irritate me or
give me headaches with their scent, and Dreft doesn't and rinses nice and
clean. (For myself I do use unscented Tide). Rachel has sensitive skin so I
plan to stick with Dreft for her. I also use Dreft stain spray. it's good to
spray on and rub stains with but doesn't seem to have amazing stain removing
power or anything-- my Shout stain stick does better.

But her poops are SO yellow!!! I use cloth diapers and receiving b;ankets on
her changing pad , and I rinse off any tiem the yellow poo gets on-- I rinse
to remove all debris. Then I spray. Then, I wash a short round in the
washing machine to do a first-run..........then I go back and toss in
non-poopy clothes etc, and wash warm. This works well.....but is there a way
to feel good about getting the poo gone without washing twice, or do I need
to keep doing 2 cycles per load?

The poo IS bad- I don't want her non-pooey clothes in the pooey water of the
first load of laundry. So this does work well for me, doing a short small
cycle in cold with just a bit of detergent then going back andadding a big
load to wash in warm....

Old May 19th 04, 02:38 AM
Dagny

"Jill" wrote in message
. com...

The poo IS bad- I don't want her non-pooey clothes in the pooey water of

the
first load of laundry. So this does work well for me, doing a short small
cycle in cold with just a bit of detergent then going back andadding a big
load to wash in warm....

I do my poo diapers in hot, and find that works well. I usually do a short
cycle in hot, then add other things that are less dirty, and do another
short cycle in warm or cold. I have never had a persistent stain from
anything that came out of the baby or me.

Oh, in the beginning, it was constant laundry because of what was leaking
from my chest.

-- Dagny
Mom to Meg, 10/03
EDD 1/19/05

Old May 19th 04, 02:43 AM
Alissa

"Jill" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

a nappy bucket with a lid for pooy nappies and clothes, rinse off poo

first, then soak them all in a nappy soaker "nappy san" then wash as
normal...But they will need to soak a few hours first.My DD had sensitive
skin I used a perfume free detergant (OMO sensitive) and never noticed a
reaction to soaking stuff first in nappy san...
Good luck, those b/f nappies are pretty explosive hey!
Alissa

Old May 19th 04, 03:05 AM
Shelly

"Jill" wrote in message
. com...

But her poops are SO yellow!!! I use cloth diapers and receiving b;ankets

on
her changing pad , and I rinse off any tiem the yellow poo gets on-- I

rinse
to remove all debris. Then I spray. Then, I wash a short round in the
washing machine to do a first-run..........then I go back and toss in
non-poopy clothes etc, and wash warm. This works well.....but is there a

way
to feel good about getting the poo gone without washing twice, or do I

need
to keep doing 2 cycles per load?

Hey Jill,
I don't even bother with pre-treating. I put everything through a cold rinse
cycle, then run everything through a normal wash cycle with half the
recommended amount of detergent. The reason I use less detergent is that
buildup can cause your cloth diapers to become less absorbant over time. I
use Dreft also, but for what it is worth, I have read that it is really a
pretty harsh detergent, and that babies with sensitive skin actually do
better with one of the fragrance free detergents. After that, they really
are clean. If any of the diapers or clothes are stained, all you need to do
is hang them out in the sun for a few hours and the stains disappear. This
even works if you accidentally set the stain in the drier first...it really
is quite amazing!

hth
Michelle

Old May 19th 04, 04:38 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Jill wrote:

But her poops are SO yellow!!! I use cloth diapers and receiving b;ankets on
her changing pad , and I rinse off any tiem the yellow poo gets on-- I rinse
to remove all debris. Then I spray. Then, I wash a short round in the
washing machine to do a first-run..........then I go back and toss in
non-poopy clothes etc, and wash warm. This works well.....but is there a way
to feel good about getting the poo gone without washing twice, or do I need
to keep doing 2 cycles per load?

The poo IS bad- I don't want her non-pooey clothes in the pooey water of the
first load of laundry. So this does work well for me, doing a short small
cycle in cold with just a bit of detergent then going back andadding a big
load to wash in warm....

You probably won't feel comfortable with my
recommendation, but I say just throw it all in together
and let it go, possible with a pre-wash or a cold rinse
to start. It's not going to hurt the other clothes.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 19th 04, 06:22 AM
Carol Ann

The poo IS bad- I don't want her non-pooey clothes in the pooey water of
the
first load of laundry. So this does work well for me, doing a short small
cycle in cold with just a bit of detergent then going back andadding a big
load to wash in warm....

Just to clarify, you are using cloth diapers on Rachel? Not disposables?

~Carol Ann
Mom to Morgan born 3.24.04
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBNnDdizZNneg ---Pictures!

Old May 19th 04, 07:12 AM
CY

I will second this - my daughter has allergic eczema and her skin got a
million times better once I stopped using things with fragrance in them. My
DD's dermatologist commented that it makes her crazy that Dreft is marketed
towards babies as a "gentle" detergent and she said that most people get it
because it's recommended by pediatricians (but really it's got the "baby"
smell that we all love!) who don't know better because (like the formula
companies) the people who make Dreft reward them for endorsing their
products...

Old May 19th 04, 11:50 AM
Donna

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
news
Jill wrote:

[...]

My recommendation is similar. FWIW, I put the whites together in hot (and
if you can pre-treat the stains with a product designed for childrens stains
(I like "mothers miracle" - I bought it at Babies R Us), and soak them for
an hour, then run a normal wash. Colors, same treatment, but I soak for
half an hour, on warm. But I don't run more than one cycle.

Donna

Old May 19th 04, 03:54 PM
Luna

The poo IS bad- I don't want her non-pooey clothes in the pooey water of
the
first load of laundry. So this does work well for me, doing a short

small
cycle in cold with just a bit of detergent then going back andadding a

big
load to wash in warm....

You probably won't feel comfortable with my
recommendation, but I say just throw it all in together
and let it go, possible with a pre-wash or a cold rinse
to start. It's not going to hurt the other clothes.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Second that . . We just wash everything together, one or two loads a day,
only using a pre-rinse when we're washing a big load of diapers. And re
Dreft, I've heard it's awfully harsh - but I guess it does smell good to
some people! We use All Free.
Best,
Hannah

Old May 19th 04, 07:53 PM
Chotii

"Luna" wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

Well, of course, I throw any soiled clothes into the diaper pail and wash
them with the diapers. If you're using disposables with lots of blowouts,
this won't help you. I recommend in that case that you cover the disposable
with a cloth-diaper type cover such as the Mother-Ease Air-Flow (snap-type)
that I use (and have very very few blowouts that affect the clothes, most is
contained inside the cover). I like these because they are a polyurethane
laminate, the snaps are very sturdy, there's no velcro to rub baby's skin,
any poo that gets on the inside will very easily rinse off if swished in the
toilet, and they can then be washed with the clothes without a big risk of
yellow staining to the clothes (hang to dry). Any other good cover would
work too, of course. But I do love the Mother Ease. Man, if they still had
distributors, I'd sell them. As it is, I can only give 'em free advertising.

--angela (not compensated in any way for this, dang)

Five Free Anger Management Tips Catherine General 0 May 8th 04 12:10 AM
Baby gets sick- tips? Jill Pregnancy 19 March 1st 04 06:44 AM
New nanny needs tips Traci General 1 September 30th 03 07:01 AM
Any tips on vacationing in Southern California in November? sher General 7 August 15th 03 02:27 AM
any tips on washing DD's hair? Jean General (moderated) 14 July 14th 03 08:02 PM