cocoa butter comparisons (LONG and X-posted)

Old May 19th 04, 07:08 PM
melizabeth

Default cocoa butter comparisons (LONG and X-posted)

This is a something I meant to post about ages ago, but kept forgetting to
do once I signed on, and remembered once I signed off.

I'm 34 weeks pregnant and knew that I was going to have some itchy skin on
my abdomen and the possibility of stretch marks. I used three different
types of cocoa butters (and some other random products) and just wanted to
briefly compare them for anyone else out there who is a CB lover and/or is
prego and wants to try something. Stretch marks and genetics go hand in
hand. I've read it, been told it, have processed the information. However,
my grandmothers and mother had stretch marks during their pregnancies. I
haven't as of yet.

Queen Helene's Cocoa Butter: One certainly gets a lot of product for the
price. I think I spent around $2.50 give or take some change for 32 fl oz
or 1 quart of this stuff. Upon initial sniffing it smells like sun tan
lotion, which is not unpleasant. The consistency is slightly thicker than
suntan lotion and but doesn't absorb as well as I had personally wanted. A
few times (perhaps during some rapid expansion) I ended up with flaky skin
on my abdomen. I probably would not purchase this again.

Palmer's Massage Lotion for Stretch Marks: One word: Yuk! Perhaps I have a
sensitive nose at this point, but this stuff smelled like rancid plastic and
I didn't even want to put it on my body after the first application. I got
7 ounces of unused product left. Perhaps after pregnancy it will smell
better. If not, I'm chucking it.

Palmer's Cocoa Butter: This is divine (to me). I don't remember how much
it costs/amount of product, but I don't care. Its thick, rich, smells like
chocolate, absorbs well and for some reason is comforting to me. *This* is
the stuff for RBE (rapid belly expansion) and everyday use pre- during- and
post- pregnancy.

Other moisturizers I have used during the past 34 weeks that are good
include:

Aveeno Lotion: This soothed my skin when it was itchy and flaky.

TBS Nut Butter: I do love this stuff, but the way I was going through
lotions, I thought it was too expensive for the amount of product.

Avon's Planet Spa Mediterranean Olive Oil Whipped Body Crème. MIL gave this
to me as a gift when I went home recently. *Nice* stuff and I didn't get
flaky itchy skin.

HTH and as usual YMMV

--
M~Elizabeth

To thine own self be true

Old May 19th 04, 07:35 PM
Sophie

This is a something I meant to post about ages ago, but kept forgetting to
do once I signed on, and remembered once I signed off.

I'm 34 weeks pregnant and knew that I was going to have some itchy skin on
my abdomen and the possibility of stretch marks. I used three different
types of cocoa butters (and some other random products) and just wanted to
briefly compare them for anyone else out there who is a CB lover and/or is
prego and wants to try something. Stretch marks and genetics go hand in
hand. I've read it, been told it, have processed the information.

However,
my grandmothers and mother had stretch marks during their pregnancies. I
haven't as of yet.

Have you looked in places other than your stomach? I have my stretch marks,
well, on my saddlebags - lol.
4th pregnancy, no new stretch marks.

Avon's Planet Spa Mediterranean Olive Oil Whipped Body Crème. MIL gave

this
to me as a gift when I went home recently. *Nice* stuff and I didn't get
flaky itchy skin.

This one sounds great.

HTH and as usual YMMV
--
M~Elizabeth

I've probably only used my regular lotion on my stomach during my
pregnancies cos it's been itchy - so just Aveeno.

Old May 19th 04, 07:55 PM

On Wed, 19 May 2004 18:08:53 +0000 (UTC), "melizabeth"
wrote:

I'm 34 weeks pregnant and knew that I was going to have some itchy skin on
my abdomen and the possibility of stretch marks. I used three different
types of cocoa butters (and some other random products) and just wanted to
briefly compare them for anyone else out there who is a CB lover and/or is
prego and wants to try something. Stretch marks and genetics go hand in
hand. I've read it, been told it, have processed the information. However,
my grandmothers and mother had stretch marks during their pregnancies. I
haven't as of yet.

I'm 34 weeks pregnant too!!!
This is my 2nd pregnancy. When I was pregnant with my son, my stretch
marks didn't appear until almost my due date. And I thought I was
going to be one of the lucky ones! :-)

TBS Nut Butter: I do love this stuff, but the way I was going through
lotions, I thought it was too expensive for the amount of product.

I loved this one! But I do agree about the $.

I also bought TBS Cocoa Butter Stick. I loved it, and that's all I've
been using for this pregnancy.

Nenette
Old May 19th 04, 08:47 PM
Em

"melizabeth" wrote in message

Queen Helene's Cocoa Butter: One certainly gets a lot of product for

the
price. I think I spent around $2.50 give or take some change for 32

fl oz
or 1 quart of this stuff. Upon initial sniffing it smells like sun

tan
lotion, which is not unpleasant. The consistency is slightly thicker

than
suntan lotion and but doesn't absorb as well as I had personally

wanted. A
few times (perhaps during some rapid expansion) I ended up with flaky

skin
on my abdomen. I probably would not purchase this again.

I used this kind for the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy. I liked it quite
a bit (someone gave it to me as a pampering gift at my Blessingway). I
also used the Body Shop's cocoa butter roll-on stick. I used that prior
to getting Queen Helene's, because I liked how the QH's was thicker and
seemed to "coat" better. I felt like I really had to smear and smear
with the stick, before it made any impact on my skin.

I didn't get any stretch marks on my belly. I did get one small one on
my hip (hardly noticeable), one small one on each breast, and one or two
on my rear. Avoiding them on my belly was all I really cared about, so I
feel happy! My mom did get stretch marks all over her belly, so either
the cocoa butter worked for me, or I got non-mark genes from my dad's
side. I also drank a lot of water while pregnant, which is supposed to
help with elasticity.

--
Em
mama to L-baby, almost 8 months old!

Old May 19th 04, 10:39 PM
melizabeth

I've looked *everywhere* for those stretchmarks and haven't seen them...yet.
Another poster responded and said that she got them closer to her due
date...so I still have time

--
M~Elizabeth

To thine own self be true

Old May 19th 04, 10:40 PM
melizabeth

How long does TBS Cocoa Butter Stick last? This may be good for me to take
to the hospital.

--
M~Elizabeth

To thine own self be true
news

Old May 19th 04, 10:50 PM
melizabeth

"Em" wrote in message

[...]

Y'know, I was wondering how water impacted the skin's elasticity and
stretchmarks. I feel like a camel right now (am apparently storing a ton of
water), and that is mainly what I drink during the day with the occasional
soda or cup of coffee. I was wondering about the genetics from my dad's
side of the family, too. Well, I will be sure to provide a stretch mark
update as I get closer to delivering.

Old May 19th 04, 11:08 PM
JennP

"Sophie" wrote in message

Have you looked in places other than your stomach? I have my stretch

marks,
well, on my saddlebags - lol.
4th pregnancy, no new stretch marks.

I was well past my thirtieth week with Matthew and I was so proud that I
didn't have a single stretch mark...that is until I looked *under* my belly.
I was horrified! LOL.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old May 19th 04, 11:09 PM
JennP

"melizabeth" wrote in message
I've looked *everywhere* for those stretchmarks and haven't seen

them...yet.
Another poster responded and said that she got them closer to her due
date...so I still have time

Like I said in my other post, have you looked *under* your belly yet?

--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old May 19th 04, 11:37 PM
melizabeth

I've looked, I've looked, they aren't there, yet! :P

--
M~Elizabeth

To thine own self be true