Appetite and breastfeeding

Old May 19th 04, 08:14 PM
Jill

Default Appetite and breastfeeding

I had zero appetite all through pregnancy...I guess it started off with the
bad morning sickness and weight loss. I am now down 30 pounds from my
starting, just-found-out-I'm-pregnant weight, a week after birth. (I lost 15
lbs in 1st trimester and ended up just gaining about that much back during
the pregnancy and never went over my original weight).

The problem is, and it may be that I am still not back to normal- I do feel
exhausted, sore, etc still....I was starved for the first few days but ever
since my milk came in I have no appetite again. I am forcing myself to eat
regularly- I say force because I am just exhausted and not hungry!) because
I worry about my milk supply...I drink plenty of water and juices. But I
still feel like I might not be eating enough calories in a day. Is there a
minimum number of calories I should be eating during breastfeeding to keep
up my milk?

I am really trying! I am eating MUCH healthier and making the *most* of my
calories but feel like I am just not eating very much....I always though you
should eat the level to almost maintain your weight plus 300-500 extra
calories? I'm 5'2 and still not very active since I am recovering but
usually would be pretty active with jogging etc...I figure I should probably
be eating at least 1800 calories plus an extra 400-500? Or should I just let
my appetite lead the way and just be sure to eat frequent small meals?

Old May 19th 04, 08:21 PM
Dagny

"Jill" wrote in message
om...

The problem is, and it may be that I am still not back to normal- I do

feel
exhausted, sore, etc still....I was starved for the first few days but

ever
since my milk came in I have no appetite again. I am forcing myself to eat
regularly- I say force because I am just exhausted and not hungry!)

because
I worry about my milk supply...I drink plenty of water and juices. But I
still feel like I might not be eating enough calories in a day. Is there a
minimum number of calories I should be eating during breastfeeding to keep
up my milk?

This is how I felt for about six weeks after Meg was born. I didn't eat
much at all, too tired to hassle with it, no hunger drive. My milk was
always abundant -- I think as long as you have body fat, you're going to
have milk. It may not be optimum milk, but it'll do the trick.

Old May 19th 04, 09:40 PM
Ilse Witch

On Wed, 19 May 2004 19:14:03 +0000, Jill wrote:

Is there a minimum number of calories I should be eating during
breastfeeding to keep up my milk?

Not really. It is far more important that you get enough liquids, as your
milk is mostly water. Your body will make sure that the essential
nutrients are in there, one way or another, worst case you lose some
weight, but your baby will be fine. Make sure that what you eat is
nutritious and heatlhy, and keep up the drinking. Your approach of having
frequent small meals is a great way of getting what you need.

In principle you're right that breastfeeding allows you to eat another 500
calories, but that doesn't imply you have to.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (22m)

Old May 20th 04, 12:28 AM
cara

Jill wrote:
I had zero appetite all through pregnancy...I guess it started off with the
bad morning sickness and weight loss. I am now down 30 pounds from my
starting, just-found-out-I'm-pregnant weight, a week after birth. (I lost 15
lbs in 1st trimester and ended up just gaining about that much back during
the pregnancy and never went over my original weight).

I was like this through my first pregnancy and the entire time (11
months) I breastfed my daughter. I have no help or explanation for you!
Just commiserating. With my second (born 8 weeks ago) I had a good
appetite thru pregnancy and am now ravenous while bf! Go figure.

cara