speech deteriorating

Old July 8th 07, 05:56 AM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Default speech deteriorating

But lots of people are downright ignorant about how to
evaluate schools, and there's a lot of outright "white flight"
based on little more than rank prejudice. Yes, it's true that
if you have a lot of disadvantaged children, the overall test
scores will likely be lower. But that doesn't tell you a whole
lot about what the opportunities will be for *your* child, who
isn't subject to those advantages.

I'm very aware of the potential for this problem, it's just so hard not
knowing the system, back in the UK, we lived in a very disadvantaged
area, fairly ethnically mixed, but a much higher percentage with English
as a first language, but I knew the system, I had the contacts and from
what I knew I was pretty confident about schooling up to age 11. There
is also a bit on anxiety surrounding if/when we move back to the UK, as
school starts a year earlier and is full time from the start (K is part
time here), there's a lot of potential for him to be behind.

They probably are. That's yet another reason that test
scores aren't the be all and end all of evaluating schools. On
the other hand, the existence of a GT program is one indicator
that the school system is doing *something* to meet the needs
of children with varied abilities.

in terms of gifted and talented stuff, this school district ranks very
highly nationally, the prevailing local opinion seems to be that the
adjacent school district is better for the majority of children, but
doesn't rank so highly in this area

Probably. In practical terms, it means that if your child
gets into the center-based GT program, he or she won't have to be
bused to another school to participate.

possibly, though it seems to be a very very high level program, with the
children having to get exceedingly high scores across all areas, it's
obvious to us that DS is bright and his preschool teacher said at the
end of the year something like "you have an exceedingly bright child
there", but I'm not sure how much you can really tell at age 4. To me,
he seems to be very advanced conceptually, both in terms of scientific
stuff and emotional and people related things - so I have no worries
about him being a bright child who doesn't relate well! I'm not
particularly keen on testing at any age, let alone at age 5, barely into
kindergarten, though it does seem you can join the program any year.

I think if you want to know about a school, the best
things to do are to visit the school (maybe do a little
volunteering) and talk to people whose children are actually
there. I don't know if your school system has such a thing,
but in ours, you can sign up for various email groups. There's
one run by the school district that sends you announcements
related to schools and programs you choose. Also, the schools
usually have a PTA or some other email list you can join.
Those things often give you a good feel as to what's going on.

Thanks for the info, I'll look for the info, I'm fully aware that I need
to get to know the school and that's why we'll definitely enroll him in
kindergarten there, we'll just watch carefully. I think I feel anxious
because I feel so responsible, but I think ultimately kids are going to
do well when parents do feel that responsibility and have active
involvement.

Thanks for the help and reassurance
Anne
Old July 8th 07, 02:00 PM posted to misc.kids
Chookie

In article ,
Anne Rogers wrote:

My son, who has just turned 4 used to have pretty good pronunciation -
when I was given a list of when certain sounds were usually learnt, I
was surprised to find that he had all by 3 and a bit when the norm
wasn't until approaching 6. But in the last couple of months, his
vocabulary is still increasing and the complexity of what he says is the
same or more complex, but the sound of it has gone quite bad at times,
to the extent we have a lot of trouble understanding what he is saying,
when previously we could hear what he was saying, but not always what he
was meaning. One factor is he seemed to have acquired the habit of
putting 2 fingers in his mouth, he never did suck his thumb or fingers,
I think he's picked up this habit from his little sister, who has 2
fingers practically glued into her mouth - this is soluble, we just
remind him to take them out before speaking, but even then, there are
still some random sounds being produced, still soluble, we remind him to
speak properly and mostly he does.

snip
I'm also starting to be a little anxious about school, I'm guessing over
50% will have English as a 2nd language, I'm concerned this will be
troublesome when it comes to making friends and also for the long term
development of his own speech capabilities.

My 6yo son is at a school with a population that is 94% of
non-English-speaking background. In the 18mo he has been there he has neither
had difficulties making friends nor developed any problems with speech, unless
you count the enlargement of his vocabulary to include the F-word (in the long
term, I imagine his vocabulary will expand to include swear-words in at least
10 languages, but that's a different issue!). By our standards, it's a large
school (960 pupils, IIRC) but DS1 has friends of all different ethnicities and
ages. If anything, I suspect his friendships are with the more intelligent,
more accepting, and more handball-mad kids(*).

Take a look in the playground. If it's anything like DS1's school, you'll see
the kids mixing perfectly well. Of course, if there is a known racism
problem, that's different, but it sounds to me like you're assuming things.

(*) Here, handball is a children's game, basically simplified racquetless
tennis. In the USA I believe it's something like volleyball?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old July 8th 07, 02:13 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

Anne Rogers wrote:

[...]

I don't think that his speech at age 4 will really affect his being
'behind' when/if you go back to England. I don't think that K being
part time will be a problem either because the children catch up
pretty fast.

What I would try to do (if moving back is going to be a possibility)
is to check on the things that each level need to know in England so
that you can 'enrich' his knowledge base with things like Guy Fawkes
Day (English history) and playing cricket (sports) that all the other
boys in England will know about.

Old July 8th 07, 02:54 PM posted to misc.kids
Pologirl

Anne, it sounds like your son is having a mild, probably transient
period of aphasia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphasia may be
useful. Besides the scary causes, another cause is a period of
intense language learning. It is as if that part of the brain is
temporarily out of service for remodeling. :-)

Pologirl

Old July 8th 07, 04:43 PM posted to misc.kids
suzy

On 7 Jul, 00:58, Anne Rogers wrote:
[...]

I would expect him to have some change of accent due to moving from the
UK to the US, but very few of the sounds he produces sound American to
me, they sound Indian - hardly surprising in our neighbourhood, but in
the long term it is a worry to me, if we can't understand him, then
others probably won't either.

Last year, he was the only native English speaker in his preschool
class, I was totally happy with that, but looking back, it probably is
the main place he's been exposed to a consistent non American accent.
He's signed up for preschool at the same place next year and the class
will probably be a little more mixed, as it's a morning class - the
afternoon classes seem to be less popular and then have space for people
moving into the area, the vast majority of which are Indian.

I'm also starting to be a little anxious about school, I'm guessing over
50% will have English as a 2nd language, I'm concerned this will be
troublesome when it comes to making friends and also for the long term
development of his own speech capabilities.

I'm confused as to whether I'm being over anxious about this and he'll
gradually settle on an accent that is a mix but understandable. I've
also not heard great things about schools where large numbers don't have
English spoken at home, but I wondered if this was associated with
poverty more than the actual language issues and this area is fairly
affluent, less affluent than most of the localish neighbourhoods, but
well above the poverty line.

Anne

hi i am suzy i live in the uk and i have problems with my child peter
who is 4 and he has problems with speech and also has a hearing
problem too.
i am concern for my child as he does'nt communicate with anyone at
school or at home and when he does he gets frustrated and can't get
the words out to what he wants to say, alot of is jibberr alot of the
time even if he tries his hardest he would rather say things in his
own time.
he has problems all the things in his learning in not communicating
and not responding to others so it is hard and affects alot in his
learning at nursery as he like to do things himself which is the most
of the time.
he struggles with toilet training as he used to have alot of
accidents like every half an hour but now it is getting better and has
it little accidents every few hours.
a few times i have to remind him to go, other times he is ok but then
when he forgets, most of it would be busy watching telly or busy
playing with his toys.
its hard for me to explain things to him as to understand so he knows
but its hard as he does'nt understand why if he is naughty or
misbehaving badly at nursery.
he is refered to speech and language therapist and also needs a
hearing test to see a paediatrican for more help as i don't think he
will make it to next year on going on to primary school.
i understand what your going through as i have similar problems and
alot of hard work and to be patient for a child as my child does'nt
listen or ignores what i say to him because he has problems which
affecting alot and also his behaviour around other people.

Old July 8th 07, 04:52 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Anne Rogers wrote:

Thanks for the info, I'll look for the info, I'm fully aware that I need
to get to know the school and that's why we'll definitely enroll him in
kindergarten there, we'll just watch carefully. I think I feel anxious
because I feel so responsible, but I think ultimately kids are going to
do well when parents do feel that responsibility and have active
involvement.

Yep. We're all in that boat, and we all worry about
it, but fortunately the kids muddle through anyway most of the
time ;-) I also find that we obsess a lot about how we'll know,
but by and large, when it actually happens, you *do* know if
it's working (if you make any reasonable effort to do so).
The hard part is figuring out if there's a viable alternative
if you get to the point that you don't think things are working.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Speech Delay help Say Mama DVD General 25 December 31st 05 07:25 AM
speech delay. kimberley Pregnancy 6 February 2nd 05 05:19 AM
preschool speech toypup General 12 September 23rd 04 03:07 PM
speech in 2.5 yo KD General 3 February 18th 04 05:45 AM
Speech delay in 2.5yr old boy LucyD General (moderated) 8 December 13th 03 03:52 AM