c-section experiances.

Old January 9th 04, 04:25 AM
Irrational Number

Default c-section experiances.

By the way, regarding pain relief... I took Vicodin
every 4 hours in the hospital; that was the only way
I could hobble over to the NICU.

They gave me Tylenol with codeine for home, but I
thought that that made the baby sleep too much, so
I stopped taking it. The pain was not too bad at
home, plus my mom was fabulous in helping me out.

-- Anita --
--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE

Old January 9th 04, 06:22 AM
Susanne Koenig

"Donna"

How big was your baby? (Just curious)

Sk

Old January 9th 04, 09:06 AM
alissa

"tracy" wrote in message
Hello all.

If possible could anyone who had a c-section please tell me about
their experiences. I had one myself 6mnths ago and as many of my
friends don't yet have children i find myself with no one to talk to.
1.What were the reasons for your section. 2.Did you have an epidural
or general. 3.if epidural what did you feel? how long did you have
pain relief for? 4. any other problems following the section? 5. any
other memories?

my experiences.
1.elective c/s for CPD ( she wasn't going to fit out) the bonus of having

a radiographer for a husband!

2.I had a spinal, didn't feel a thing but was numb for about 6 hrs which

was the worst part I think. I hadn't expected it to feel so gross.
3.
4. No problems, I was pleasantly surprised at how good I felt and had

expected it to be alot more painfulluckily it was winter and its easier to
keep your wound dry ( not sweaty) so it healed well.

5. I had a PCA overnight which I only used for the first few hours as I

can't stand that groggy feeling, then panadine forte ( paracetamol with
codine) for the next two days then panadol( paracetamol), home after 4
nights.
6. The only time I felt a bit more uncomfffortable was just before they

took the stitch out and it started to feel tight.

i was given an anal suppository of some sort, silly me didn't
ask what it was for at the time. Any ideas.

Yep I had 2 of those and they are fabulous, I think they are what made the
difference...mine were indocid...its an anti inflamatory!

my only other thought is that I am overweight and unfit and maybe my feeling
good is everyone elses feeling awful and that is why I found it so easy.

I am having another and clips at the same time, I expect it will not be as
easy this time with after birth pains and extra fiddling around to put the
clips on.
Alissa

Old January 9th 04, 09:16 AM
alissa

snip
Oh I forgot, my knees were bent when I went numb so it felt like my legs
were up in the air...I asked them what they were up to and they said oh were
almost done, I said you can't be my knees are in the air, they laughed and
explained that was where my brain last knew where they were...that was odd!
it didn't last long though, once she was out I don't remember feeling that
weird sensation....

Ignore anyone who says you took the easy option, for some its the only
option.
Alissa

Old January 9th 04, 01:55 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Irrational Number wrote:

tracy wrote:

I had spinal anesthesia. As I understand it, a spinal
is a one-time shot and an epidural is an IV...?

Not an IV, which is something inserted into a
vein. However, it is a catheter inserted into the
spine so that additional medication can be delivered,
which makes it sort of like an IV ;-)

The spinal anesthesia is some morphine-thing, I think.

Every anesthesiologist has their favorite
drug cocktail, but generally it involves a narcotic
(a drug similar to morphine) and an anesthetic
(one of the -caine drugs or something similar).

Best wishes,

Ericka

Old January 9th 04, 01:59 PM
Iseult

tracy wrote in message . ..
Hello all.

If possible could anyone who had a c-section please tell me about
their experiences. I had one myself 6mnths ago and as many of my
friends don't yet have children i find myself with no one to talk to.
1.What were the reasons for your section.

Baby did descend in 14hrs of labour.

2.Did you have an epidural
or general.

epidural, I'd asked for one before we knew we'd go c-section anyway

3.if epidural what did you feel? how long did you have
pain relief for?

just the pressure of the surgery. pain relief for 2 1/2 days - codine
and paracetamol (orally) for 1 1/2 days, paracetamol only the nest
(cos I'm bf-ing) and that did nothing for me so i stopped taking it.

4. any other problems following the section?

not so far - but it's less than 3 weeks ago so I'm still taking it
easy.

5. any
other memories?

loads - see the 'baby j's birth story' thread (7th Jan) id you want
the full story.

snip

Also thinking back every night for about three days following the
birth i was given an anal suppository of some sort, silly me didn't
ask what it was for at the time. Any ideas.

After i had 'broken wind' unaided I was given parafin jelly to make me
have a bowel movement - to check that all the inards are still working
after they come out and get put back in!! Lovely!

thanks for replies (if any)
Tracy & DS Daniel Ben

Welcome, hope this helps.

-Iseult
Old January 9th 04, 03:12 PM
Donna

"Susanne Koenig" wrote in message

"Donna"

How big was your baby? (Just curious)

9 pounds, 11 ounces. 22 inches long. As a comparator, consider that I am
4"11. When she arrived she was only three feet shorter than me.

Donna

Old January 9th 04, 06:21 PM

tracy wrote in message . ..

1.What were the reasons for your section.

Severe uncontrollable pre-eclampsia/ PIH/ gestational hypertension
(terms vary depending on who's using them). I was in for 48 hours
beforehand to get steroid shots to mature the baby's lungs as I was
only at 34 weeks. In that time my pressures went from 220/116 on
admission to 150/90 when they gave me the bolus of labetelol, then
crept back up over that two days to 210+/105+ while on IV labetelol
and magnesium sulfate. My 24 hour catch for proteinurea also came
back stunningly high.

2.Did you have an epidural or general.

Spinal.

3.if epidural what did you feel? how long did you have pain relief for?

I started shivering, which is evidently a reaction to the spinal, but
felt nothing. Afterwards at some point they gave me a couple of shots
of Demerol. They also sent me home with Vicodin, but I didn't end up
taking any.

4. any other problems following the section?

Nope. I healed very quickly.

5. any other memories?

The anaesthesiologist was wary of giving me the spinal block because
my blood pressure was so high. The OB looked at her and said, "Of
course she's just a little stressed. You're sticking a needle in her
spine."

my experiences.
1. I was in hospital for approx 4 weeks before my son was born by
section due to hypertension. The hospital tried different drugs to
lower my BP with no luck, and the only option to lower my Bp was to
deliver the baby.

Welcome to the club! waves How are you doing with your recovery?

2. I had an epidural. Personally i don't know how as i am scared stiff
of needles. The only uncomfortable thing about having the epidural was
a sensation of pins and needles down my leg.

I was also scared of needles. All the blood draws they kept doing
(PIH labs) plus the IV insertion plus the spinal plus the steroid
shots in the butt plus the Demerol shots seem to have cured my phobia
though. :-)

When son was a few weeks old and i was taking him to
baby clinic, talking to a girl i know and she saying i took the easy
option having a c-section.

I hope you stared her down and explained why she was an idiot. The
illness you and I had is extremely dangerous for both mother and baby,
and is in fact the leading cause of maternal mortality worldwide.

Also thinking back every night for about three days following the
birth i was given an anal suppository of some sort, silly me didn't
ask what it was for at the time. Any ideas.

If you were on magnesium sulfate (which is what they usually do for
women with pre-eclampsia) they gave it to you absentmindedly. It's
part of the normal protocol for c-section patients to be administered
a stool softener. However, magnesium is a phenomonally good stool
softener, so preeclampsia patients don't actually need it.

--
C, mama to one year old nursling
Old January 9th 04, 06:35 PM
Katie

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 08:33:37 +0000, tracy
asserted:

Hello all.

If possible could anyone who had a c-section please tell me about
their experiences. I had one myself 6mnths ago and as many of my
friends don't yet have children i find myself with no one to talk to.

1.What were the reasons for your section.

Laboured for 24 hours, including 4 hours of pushing with no progress.
Baby was still too high up for forceps/vaccuum.

2.Did you have an epidural
or general.

Epidural

3.if epidural what did you feel?

Nothing at all However, I had the shakes REALLY badly throughout,
which was very annoying.

how long did you have
pain relief for?

About 2 days (just Tylenol)

4. any other problems following the section?

Nope, don't think so. I was surprised at how quickly I recovered from
it. It was a bit awkward to breastfeed for the first couple of days
because of the incision but it wasn't bad. We left the hospital on
the third day after the c-section and I was going for walks (short
ones) by about 6 days after.

5. any
other memories?

Mainly how happy I was to finally be close to seeing my baby. I had
always thought I'd be very disappointed if I ended up with a c-section
but I wasn't unhappy at all. I was just so glad that he was almost
here. Plus, by that point we'd tried everything to do it vaginally (I
had pushed in about every different position possible) so I knew there
was no other option.

I was very happy that I was able to breastfeed right away. The nurse
helped me get DS latched on within half an hour of him being delivered
(as soon as we got to the recovery room).

It might sound a little weird but I think the c-section was a good
experience for my DH since he got to hold the baby first and bring him
over to me. He had tears in his eyes when he handed him to me. Up
until then he hadn't been doing a lot to help me (during pushing, at
least - during the earlier parts he was extremely helpful in massaging
my back and hips, etc) and I think he was feeling a bit left out. Not
that I was noticing or caring at the time ; )

baby clinic, talking to a girl i know and she saying i took the easy
option having a c-section.

You have got to be kidding me. What a bonehead.

Also thinking back every night for about three days following the
birth i was given an anal suppository of some sort, silly me didn't
ask what it was for at the time. Any ideas.

I had suppositories, too, for a day or so. They were pain relief
(basically Extra Strength Tylenol, IIRC).

Katie
DS Nov 7/03

thanks for replies (if any)
Tracy & DS Daniel Ben

Real email: sphyrapicusathotmaildotcom

stats deja blues General 10 October 10th 03 06:55 PM
Tough decision - Elective C or not ? paul williams Pregnancy 196 October 9th 03 04:44 AM
C- Section question The Huwe Family Pregnancy 15 August 29th 03 04:22 AM
DRUGS-INDUCED/DRUGS CAN WORSEN RLS/PLMD: CAUTION! RLS/PLMD patients taking a medication prescribed by their qualified healthcare provider in this Section should not abruptly stop it. They should consult their qualified healthcare provider first. [email protected] Pregnancy 0 July 16th 03 05:58 AM