i have a question about insurance

Old January 7th 04, 04:02 AM
flowerpower

Default i have a question about insurance

i just found out that i am pregnant and i want to know how i can find a good but cheap insurance that will cover me, the baby and my boyfriend. i am on my parents insurance but we are gonna get married and i will be taken off of my parents insurance.

Old January 7th 04, 04:06 AM
Anne Marie

Hey there .Congrats! When i first found out that i was pregnant, i
called every insurance company in the book and they all said the same
thing: we can't take you, you have a preexisting condition! I had no
other choice but to go on Medicaid! The good thing is that it will cover
everything involving the pregnancy and usually two months after the baby
is born.

Good Luck

AnneMarie

Old January 7th 04, 08:15 PM
Sabine

"Nan" wrote in message
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 21:06:50 -0700, Anne Marie
wrote:

Hey there .Congrats! When i first found out that i was pregnant, i
called every insurance company in the book and they all said the same
thing: we can't take you, you have a preexisting condition! I had no
other choice but to go on Medicaid! The good thing is that it will cover
everything involving the pregnancy and usually two months after the baby
is born.

Good Luck

AnneMarie

Pregnancy is not a pre-existing condition any longer. I also got the
run-around from dh's insurance until I slapped a copy of the law on
her desk and she changed her tune ;-)

Nan

It's only not a pre-existing condition for employee sponsored plans I think.
If you are trying to buy private insurance *everything* counts against you
and they can deny you for any reason. They denied me because I was 5lbs
over the ideal weight range. They wouldn't even consider charging me more,
just a general denial. It's totally different when you are going onto a
company group insurance. They can't call some things pre-existing and the
have to count your last insurance plan in counting up waiting periods for
other pre-existing conditions.

Sabine

Old January 8th 04, 05:15 AM
Auntie Bubbles

"Nan" wrote in message
Look into Medicaid requirements in your state. Typically through your
local Aid to Dependent families or 'Welfare' office. If your income
is low enough, you will qualify for you and your baby.

In CA, you don't even have to be low income to qualify for state sponsored
plans. My husband and I are middle-income, but he is self-employed and
uninsurable due to a pre-existing condition and I worked for a small
business that had no group plan. I qualified for a plan that gave me access
to private insurance for a flat fee (around $700.00, payable in monthly
installments) with no deductible or co-pay. I belong to an HMO now (with
all it's little frustrations ) and can see a Dr. for any condition, not just
my pregnancy. I am covered for two months after the delivery, and have
scheduled minor outpatient foot surgery for one month after expected
delivery! The baby will be covered under this plan for the first year of
life, and I can re-up the coverage for a second year for just $100.00
($50.00 if I provide proof of all vaccinations).
I feel so lucky to have found this program. If you are in this state and
need info, it is called Access for Infants and Mothers (AIM) and you there
is a website:
http://www.mrmib.ca.gov/MRMIB/AIM.html

Hope this helps somebody!
Alexis
EDD 4/21/04
Beanie #1

Old January 8th 04, 04:45 PM
Sabine

"Auntie Bubbles" wrote in message

"Nan" wrote in message
[...]

As far as being self insured goes, if you husband is self-employed you need
to set his business up as a partnership. This has many benefits, but he may
have to start a new "business" to do it. If you are a partnership, you
automatically have two employees. You would be the other partner, of
course. You will have to 'materially participate' in the business, but that
can mean doing the checkbook for the business account. Once you are
established as a partnership you get two advantages over a sole
proprietorship. One, partnerships are not subject to the hobby statute on
your federal tax return. A partnership can have a loss every year, although
if you lost money every year they would probably audit you. Second, health
insurers must see you as a group. Blue Shield/Blue Cross(some others,
depending on the resources of the agent you use) will issue you a policy for
your "small group". In fact, they *have* to issue you a policy. Its state
AND federal law. You will have to pay 15% more premiums as a surcharge, but
you can get insurance this way. Another way to get insurance when you are
self insured is to look into a cop-op group insurance. We didn't go this
way, but my agent mentioned some options. Call a few insurance agents and
get the scoop. I would recommend waiting until your AIM is getting ready to
quit and applying at that time. That way *you* have previous coverage and
you wont have any pre-existing conditions because they will have to count
the AIM coverage. Good luck!

Sabine

Old January 10th 04, 01:12 AM
Anne Marie

Sorry. I read this a little bet later! Well i wish i would have known
that about 3 months ago...are you sure thats every where in the country?