Motherhood and me

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 15th 04, 12:38 PM
Jill

Default Motherhood and me

I just wanted to post another post. My milk has come in and Rachel is doing
a great job! I am not even sore (yet), and Rachel has never had any problems
latching on. It's just that *I* am awkward at the breastfeeding positions
except for lying down on my side. I still haven't gotten the hang of sitting
and breastfeeding, yikes. In the hospital the lactation consultant helped me
and once she positioned Rachel all was well. But when I try by myself, I
don't have enough hands and Rachel's arms, well, I never know what to do
with them...it's all in shambles!

And on the pump, the Medela Harmony handpump which is similar to Avent Isis
(which I have never tried)...I give this pump a thumb's up! I heard some
complain that the Isis has too many parts- I haven't seen it so don't know,
but the Medela is VERY simple to put together,very few parts- youbasically
just screw the top on, and I was able to get milk right away with it. I can
see that if I plan to keep pumping I will want an electric. But for anyone
wanting a handpump I highly recommend the Harmony. The hospital here loves
the Avent Isis as well and is starting to praise the Harmony too. I can say
I like it!

Also- I already am so glad I got a Boppy pillow, Rachel loves to be propped
up in it. The Graco PacknPlay is in our bedroom and is VERY VERY useful. We
use the bassinet when she is not in bed with us and the changing pad is so
convenient and it has a tray that holds supplies. I would not do without
this item! Rachel isn't yet too thrilled with the Baby Papasan but she does
like the Ocean Wonders bouncer sometimes. She's really just too tiny and
wants to be held.

I am still swollen but am back down to 10 pounds less than what I weighed
before the pregnancy. it is so odd to me! I never gained back the morning
sickness weight loss so when people ask me how much weight I gained, it's
confusing, because technically none. And Rachel was 7 pounds 11 ounces and
is perfectly healthy- actually she's pretty strong and sturdy. In the
hospital they gave me so many fluids I swelled and my first day home I
weighed exactly what I did before pregnancy but it went away with the
swelling. I did not exercise much during pregnancy, I didn't feel like
walking a lot etc so I am not firm (and boy do I have stretch marks!)....my
boobs are huge. Mt stomach is still poochy, not that I expected it not to
be. But I have no headaches/migraines, no heartburn, more energy. The only
thing wrong is my stitches huuuuuuurt.....I am on pain medication 24/7 and
they gave me breastfeeding safe medication but I still don't like taking
narcotics while breastfeeding, I have to take Lortab along with 800mg
Motrins. I must have had a really bad tear from the forceps. But that is the
only thing wrong, I don't have any other problems.

I can't believe how calm I feel, and how not-nervous I am. My mom is coming
over next week a lot to help me when my DH goes back to work. We are getting
along, it's so odd it's scary! She has done a couple of typical things, but
I see her differently now. It's easier to overlook, and just see that she
loves the baby so much and is so tickled to be a grandmother. I do realize
that she has been through a lot with her side of the family, and I see the
joy when she is around Rachel.

Jill