gym daycare issues

Old June 30th 07, 08:23 PM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Default gym daycare issues

Have you considered working out in the evenings (or whatever other time) when
your husband is home? At least in replacement for that 11:15 class? That would
get around the whole problem, too.

Evenings is when I get to spend time with my husband! As it is, I
already have one regular evening commitment and several things that are
one week of the month, of course not on the same evening, so wipe out
several evenings for regular commitments. I'm going to have to find
another pilates class come September as the current one clashes with
preschool pick up, but I doubt it will be an evening I switch to.

Anne
Old June 30th 07, 08:24 PM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_4_]

I just wondered about the letter from the director. Is is possible it
was a circular letter sent out to all parents who use the gym daycare?
From what the receptionist said, this woman is annoying a lot of
parents, and she might have complained to her boss about the number
of 'ill' children being left.

I had wondered that, as it doesn't mention a specific child or date, so
I can't be sure, other than that it does appear to be personally signed
and addressed. Either way, a letter from the daycare manager would have
been more appropriate.

Cheers
Anne
Old July 2nd 07, 11:02 PM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_4_]

I suppose I could call up and make a non urgent appointment with the
paediatrician - it just seems wrong to me, taking up the time of a
doctor I know is busy (when I called to book a well child visit, they
gave me an appointment 3 mths away), the my insurance paying out for
it (and if they didn't, me paying out for it!).

Oh, please. That's what they're there for.

I think there may be a huge cultural difference here, back in the UK,
there are hardly any reasons you'd go to the doctor when not sick. They
will do work or travel related medicals, but you'd have to pay, if
something is required for school, chances are a doctor would come into
school and work through everyone in a session. Large companies will
often have an occupational health department to deal with should this
person be at work, do they require adaptations etc. small companies
might use another company that just does this kind of thing. So, it
really is completely alien to me to take a well child to the doctor to
have them certified well.

Cheers
Anne
Old July 3rd 07, 02:23 PM posted to misc.kids
Sue

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
I think there may be a huge cultural difference here, back in the UK,
there are hardly any reasons you'd go to the doctor when not sick. They
will do work or travel related medicals, but you'd have to pay, if
something is required for school, chances are a doctor would come into
school and work through everyone in a session. Large companies will often
have an occupational health department to deal with should this person be
at work, do they require adaptations etc. small companies might use
another company that just does this kind of thing. So, it really is
completely alien to me to take a well child to the doctor to have them
certified well.

That's the beauty of our health care system, you can go to the doctor
whenever you feel the need, lol. Many people go for preventative care and
check ups/physicals. I definitely would go if I needed some sort of letter,
but mostly I would just call the nurse's desk and explain the situation and
more than likely (as long as they have seen the child to know what is going
on) they would just compose a letter and send it in the mail.
--
Sue

Old July 3rd 07, 02:45 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"Sue" wrote in message
"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
I think there may be a huge cultural difference here, back in the UK,
there are hardly any reasons you'd go to the doctor when not sick. They
will do work or travel related medicals, but you'd have to pay, if
something is required for school, chances are a doctor would come into
school and work through everyone in a session. Large companies will often
have an occupational health department to deal with should this person be
at work, do they require adaptations etc. small companies might use
another company that just does this kind of thing. So, it really is
completely alien to me to take a well child to the doctor to have them
certified well.

That's the beauty of our health care system, you can go to the doctor
whenever you feel the need, lol.

You mean you feel the need when you're well?????
;-P
Debbie

Old July 3rd 07, 04:00 PM posted to misc.kids
Sue

"Welches" wrote in message
You mean you feel the need when you're well?????

Yes, if it is for a yearly check up. That is preventative care. But, for
Anne, yes she could go and have the doctor look at the child again and
determine that it is going to continue because it may be allergies and then
they can write a letter saying as much.
--
Sue

Old July 3rd 07, 06:03 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Anne Rogers wrote:

I suppose I could call up and make a non urgent appointment with the
paediatrician - it just seems wrong to me, taking up the time of a
doctor I know is busy (when I called to book a well child visit, they
gave me an appointment 3 mths away), the my insurance paying out for
it (and if they didn't, me paying out for it!).

Oh, please. That's what they're there for.

I think there may be a huge cultural difference here, back in the UK,
there are hardly any reasons you'd go to the doctor when not sick.

Yes, there are significant differences and expectations.

They
will do work or travel related medicals, but you'd have to pay,

Many doctor's offices have started to charge for these
things, but the fee is usually fairly nominal. They do expect
to have to do them, though, as there's no one else to do it.

if
something is required for school, chances are a doctor would come into
school and work through everyone in a session. Large companies will
often have an occupational health department to deal with should this
person be at work, do they require adaptations etc. small companies
might use another company that just does this kind of thing. So, it
really is completely alien to me to take a well child to the doctor to
have them certified well.

I have rarely encountered anything like that here--never
at a primary or secondary school (sometimes they have a nurse,
but the nurse doesn't do anything like that), and only rarely
at a workplace.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old July 3rd 07, 09:15 PM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_4_]

if something is required for school, chances are a doctor would come
into school and work through everyone in a session. Large companies
will often have an occupational health department to deal with should
this person be at work, do they require adaptations etc. small
companies might use another company that just does this kind of thing.
So, it really is completely alien to me to take a well child to the
doctor to have them certified well.

I have rarely encountered anything like that here--never
at a primary or secondary school (sometimes they have a nurse,
but the nurse doesn't do anything like that), and only rarely
at a workplace.

Well when the workplace is having to pay for whether indirectly or
directly, it doesn't make sense to have in house facilities when you can
just see your regular doctor. Whereas in the UK, the work place isn't
paying for it, other than indirectly through tax, but if they need
services that aren't available on the NHS, if they are big enough, it's
going to be more cost effective to have them in house than to pay for
them, the last company I worked for (actually an academic institution)
had several different health departments, such as a dentist (dental care
being something that can be hard to get in the UK), they also did flu
shots annually (actually DH's company does this here too). There was a
counselling service for both students and staff (again, something you
can only get in very limited quantities on the NHS). The only thing that
they paid for which was external was an annual eye test (if you wanted
it) which is something easily available on the high street, so you just
turned in the receipt.

Cheers
Anne
Old July 4th 07, 09:42 AM posted to misc.kids
Sarah Vaughan

Sue wrote:
"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
I think there may be a huge cultural difference here, back in the UK,
there are hardly any reasons you'd go to the doctor when not sick.

Oh, boy, do I wish that was true. Actually, we're seeing more and more
of this kind of crud, and it seems to be becoming increasingly acceptable.

They
will do work or travel related medicals, but you'd have to pay, if
something is required for school, chances are a doctor would come into
school and work through everyone in a session. Large companies will often
have an occupational health department to deal with should this person be
at work, do they require adaptations etc. small companies might use
another company that just does this kind of thing. So, it really is
completely alien to me to take a well child to the doctor to have them
certified well.

That's the beauty of our health care system, you can go to the doctor
whenever you feel the need, lol.

People in our health care system can also go to the doctor whenever they
feel the need. In this case, it's Anne's gym who are feeling the need,
not Anne. ;-) (And, yes, in such a situation someone would still be
able to go to the doctor here and ask for a note. It's just something
you'd be expected to pay for.)

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell

Old July 4th 07, 09:48 AM posted to misc.kids
Sarah Vaughan

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

I suppose I could call up and make a non urgent appointment with the
paediatrician - it just seems wrong to me, taking up the time of a
doctor I know is busy (when I called to book a well child visit, they
gave me an appointment 3 mths away), the my insurance paying out for
it (and if they didn't, me paying out for it!).

Oh, please. That's what they're there for.

Well, actually, what we're here for is to cure and/or prevent illness.
The bureaucratic crap is just a by-product of the job that we're stuck
with. I've never yet heard of anyone going for an interview at medical
school and answering the question "So why do you want to become a
doctor?" with "Because it's my life's ambition to spend my time writing
permission notes..."

Of course, in this case I don't think Anne's got a lot of choice. This
is what her gym are requesting (and there may even be some justification
for it in rare cases - most of the time this sort of stuff is a complete
waste of time, but I do appreciate that there are some rare immune
problems that might make it genuinely dangerous for a child to be in
contact with someone with a cold). And, as she says, she'll be paying
the doctor for his or her time - that's what the fee is for. However,
having seen some of the results of this whole growing 'get a note from
your doctor' culture, I'd like to see people a *little* less cavalier
about assuming that it's just part of the job so nobody needs to think
twice about whether or not it's appropriate.

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell

Baby feeding issues at daycare PK Breastfeeding 30 June 23rd 06 12:12 AM
Daycare? [email protected] General 5 April 5th 06 12:32 AM
Daycare provider issues- child not happy laurie General 3 May 15th 04 06:42 PM
Looking for Daycare? MetroDaycare Pregnancy 0 April 1st 04 10:45 PM
House Arrest Daycare- TX Felon on House arrest in daycare home. glamourette General 0 November 13th 03 07:32 PM