nervous - may be pregnant and worried about things

Old January 6th 04, 10:13 PM
Millie

Default nervous - may be pregnant and worried about things

Okay, I just took an over the counter test this morning and it came
out positive. I am waiting to hear confirmation back from my doctor (I
had blood taken today)

Now if I am, I would be approx. 16 days pregnant. In those 16 days I
have taken at least one hot bath (did not check temperature, but I
tend to like them hot) and I use an electric blanket (which doesn't
stay on, I just turn it on for about 15 minutes while I read before
going to sleep - I turn it off when I turn out the light). Anyway,
everything I'm reading is saying that its bad to take hot
baths/electric blankets etc. in the first trimester due to neural tube
defects. Here I am taking prenatal vitamins and I never thought about
the heat issue... anyway, I'm nervous, anyone know if I've messed this
up?
Old January 6th 04, 10:14 PM
Rob, Laura and Izabella

I do doubt that you messed up. I really would not worry about it, its not
like you were doing it everyday for hours on end.
Congrats to you as well!

--
Laura, TTC #2
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**

om...

Old January 6th 04, 10:34 PM
Sophie

"Millie" wrote in message
om...
Okay, I just took an over the counter test this morning and it came
out positive. I am waiting to hear confirmation back from my doctor (I
had blood taken today)

Now if I am, I would be approx. 16 days pregnant. In those 16 days I
have taken at least one hot bath (did not check temperature, but I
tend to like them hot) and I use an electric blanket (which doesn't
stay on, I just turn it on for about 15 minutes while I read before
going to sleep - I turn it off when I turn out the light). Anyway,
everything I'm reading is saying that its bad to take hot
baths/electric blankets etc. in the first trimester due to neural tube
defects. Here I am taking prenatal vitamins and I never thought about
the heat issue... anyway, I'm nervous, anyone know if I've messed this
up?

Oh goodness. People drink, smoke, and do drugs and the baby is fine. I'm
quite sure you did no damage.

Congrats

Sophie
#4 due 7/18/04

Old January 6th 04, 11:33 PM
Susanne Koenig

Now if I am, I would be approx. 16 days pregnant. In those 16 days I
have taken at least one hot bath (did not check temperature, but I
tend to like them hot) and I use an electric blanket (which doesn't
stay on, I just turn it on for about 15 minutes while I read before
going to sleep - I turn it off when I turn out the light). Anyway,
everything I'm reading is saying that its bad to take hot
baths/electric blankets etc. in the first trimester due to neural tube
defects. Here I am taking prenatal vitamins and I never thought about
the heat issue... anyway, I'm nervous, anyone know if I've messed this
up?

I was told repeatedly that I wasn't pregnant with my first daughter and
therefore used a hot water bottle on several occasions to try and get the
crummy feeling to go away. No harm done. Was also prescribed that stuff
that makes your period come down (see my LONG LONG post) because they
thought I wasn't pregnant and had a pituitary tumor. No harm done. Was
given Ritalin for adult ADHD as well. No harm done.

My mother (the Nurse Prac) says that as long as you don't raise your
internal temperature you're alright. I mean, when you were under that
electric blanket, do you think you heated yourself to 103? Probably not :-)

Incidentally, I use an old bag hair dryer to warm up my blankies! I just
run the tube up under the covers. That way I'm blowing warm air on my feet
and getting them warm without heating up everthing else. It's a very mild
warm, so I haven't any fears of getting too warm.

Sk

Old January 7th 04, 02:20 AM
Donna

"Millie" wrote in message
om...
Okay, I just took an over the counter test this morning and it came
out positive. I am waiting to hear confirmation back from my doctor (I
had blood taken today)

Now if I am, I would be approx. 16 days pregnant. In those 16 days I
have taken at least one hot bath (did not check temperature, but I
tend to like them hot) and I use an electric blanket (which doesn't
stay on, I just turn it on for about 15 minutes while I read before
going to sleep - I turn it off when I turn out the light). Anyway,
everything I'm reading is saying that its bad to take hot
baths/electric blankets etc. in the first trimester due to neural tube
defects.

The deal with heat is whether you heated your core temperature for an
extended period of time. You definitely don't want to spend an hour in a
hot hot tub, for example, but nothing you've described above seems even
remotely possible to have raised your core temperature.

By all means go over it with your OB when you see her, but don't be
surprised if she has to hide a grin.

Relax. It's MUCH harder than that to hurt a fetus.

Donna

Old January 7th 04, 08:42 AM
Cam & Shane

Congratulations - I hope the blood test turns out fine!!

I think your baby will be fine. I used to love hot showers but as soon as I
got pregnant I hated them - they made me feel sick if I started to get warm.
I think that my body knows way more than my mind - so I listen to it now.

Good luck with your pregnancy

Camille

om...

Old January 7th 04, 04:21 PM
Millie

Thank you all for your words of support - I feel a lot better - !

Also, the doctor confirmed it - my husband and I are going to be
parents, and she also told me not to worry about the bath thing -
however she was calling me from her office so I couldn't tell if she
was hiding a grin!

thank you again!!!
Old January 7th 04, 07:47 PM
Donna

"Millie" wrote in message
om...
Thank you all for your words of support - I feel a lot better - !

Also, the doctor confirmed it - my husband and I are going to be
parents, and she also told me not to worry about the bath thing -
however she was calling me from her office so I couldn't tell if she
was hiding a grin!

tee hee Keep in mind that we've all been there. The first pregnancy,
and the first year of motherhood throws all of us for a loop. I actually
ended up sending my OB and the pediatric nurse from my pediatrician's
office, flowers on my daughter's first birthday, because they cheerfully
fielded a year's worth of inane first time mom questions from me without
complaint. And yeah, over the phone you can't tell if they're having a
little grin.

Donna

Old January 8th 04, 03:37 PM
Susanne Koenig

Cam, you're kidding... that's wild. Man, I live for my showers. What's
funny is we finally (after ten years of marriage) got into a house and the
owners threw in a hot tub for free. Not that I could use it, mind you! I
would kill to be able to sit in that hot water sometime and at least give my
shoulders a break. (Thank god breasts float.)

Sk

Old January 8th 04, 08:44 PM
Cam & Shane

I know what you mean - we just sold our spa pool after 4 months of no use
I used to love coming home from work and jumping in for half an hour.
Never mind - 4 months to go and we can go and buy a new one - if we have any
money left over - I heard babies can be expensive.....

As for the boob thing - I never really thought too much about how they can
cause sooo much pain due to their weight (I was about a B-C) Now I'm a D I
can notice a difference so I can only imagine how painful it must be to be
bigger....

Good luck for your birth - I hope things go way better this time.

Cam