Made it to 6 weeks! and Qs

Old December 31st 03, 06:38 PM
Sidheag McCormack

Default Made it to 6 weeks! and Qs

cjorp writes:

Sounds like a perfectly normal nursing baby to me. :-)

Thanks!

We carry our young and have low-calorie milk designed for frequent
feedings, so they really do nurse *all the time*. It's just that
culturally, it comes as a bit of a shock...

True. I'm jolly glad I don't have to hunt or gather or whatever as well as
feeding, I must say - but I suppose we're an extended family species as
well, so maybe I'm not evolved to. (Must reread Bleffer-Hrdy's "Mother
Nature" which IIRR talks about this kind of question - excellent book.)

DS goes right back on that schedule shen he's sick, btw.

Makes sense. DS had his first vaccinations yesterday and for the next 18
hours or so really did nothing else except feed, sleep and fuss. Glad to
say he's back to normal today.

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Old January 1st 04, 06:45 AM

Sidheag McCormack wrote in message ...

True. I'm jolly glad I don't have to hunt or gather or whatever as well as
feeding, I must say - but I suppose we're an extended family species as
well, so maybe I'm not evolved to. (Must reread Bleffer-Hrdy's "Mother
Nature" which IIRR talks about this kind of question - excellent book.)

Yes, it is! (I read it last semester, when my sister had it assigned
for an anthropology class and loaned it to me.) IIRC she says
something or other about it being essentially impossible for a nursing
mother with an infant to provide for all of the calories she needs,
but I am sketchy on details.

--
C, mama to one year old nursling
Old January 1st 04, 02:46 PM
Linz

On 31 Dec 2003 18:32:26 +0000, Sidheag McCormack
wrote:

Linz writes:

HUSHBabies? I'm doing that too, and as you say, it's quite an eye
opener. I've just done the 9wk recording and although I've not kept
copies of the 6wk/9wk charts, I became aware very quickly of the
differences between the two. YoungBloke is awake and content for far
longer now than three weeks ago and his sleep sessions are beginning to
follow a pattern too. I had a harder time working out what was happening
during the night as I am now able to fall asleep once YB is latched on
and feeding well, and he's just about worked out how to find my nipple
himself if he falls off.

Yes, that's it. Though DS is now 9 weeks old and they haven't contacted me
about the next bit - wonder if that's because of the holiday or because we
failed the first round? I found some of the tasks hard, especially keeping
the light monitoring teddy with him - DS is carried around a lot and I
didn't have enough hands to carry him and the bear and whatever I was
doing. I tried to remember to hang it round my neck etc., but it may be
that the data we provided was too unreliable.

My money's on it being the hols - I did the 9 week round over
Christmas and I know Yvonne was glad we were still happy to do it even
though it was the hols and we all had colds because I had to phone her
for advice on the swabs (didn't have them for the first round for some
reason). It won't be the light sensor - I had to admit, rather
shamefacedly, that the first 36 hours of the 6 week set, teddy had the
light sensor pointing at his chin rather than at the light because
that's how it arrived and I just hadn't thought to look more closely.
Despite that, and the fact that like you I kept forgetting to keep
teddy next to YB, I got the 9 week stuff roughly on time. The data you
provide can't be unreliable, they need all they can get to start
building up a data set!

Glad you too don't think our patterns unreasonable! We visited a newborn
today who feeds every 3 or 4 hours and sleeps most of the rest of the time,
so they do exist! I was sort of envious, but I suppose I'd only feel
obliged to do work things or housework or something if DS had that kind of
pattern :-)

Well, exactly! Anyway, by 9 weeks you'll find Colin is sleeping a
little longer. The time perception thing will still be odd, though!
--
Linz
YB: 9 weeks, 12lbs 8oz