pine nuts

Old January 2nd 04, 09:22 PM
elizabeth emerald

Default pine nuts

are pine nuts to be avoided like peanuts & tree nuts in regard to allergies?
i ate something that i found out had pine nuts afterwards. DS is 16 months.
--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS - born 20-aug-02

Old January 2nd 04, 09:27 PM
Dagny

"elizabeth emerald" wrote in message
are pine nuts to be avoided like peanuts & tree nuts in regard to

allergies?
i ate something that i found out had pine nuts afterwards. DS is 16

months.
--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS - born 20-aug-02

I guess I'll just interject that I am not convinced these things are to be
avoided. Just because some studies show an increase in dangerous allergies,
does not mean that there is not a benefit that saves an equal number of
lives to be had from exposure to nuts that we just don't know about yet. So
I'm enjoying my nuts. I don't think we know the long term implications yet.

So -- I think we make our own choices. We're all one big ongoing
experiment.

-- Dagny

Old January 2nd 04, 10:50 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Dagny wrote:
Just because some studies show an increase in
dangerous allergies, does not mean that there is not a benefit that
saves an equal number of lives to be had from exposure to nuts that
we just don't know about yet.

Well, since you've only got about a 50% chance of passing those proteins
through your milk, you've only got a 50% chance of attaining exposure, but a
100% chance of avoiding exposure. Since peanut / tree nut allergies are
more likely to be fatal, and less likely to be outgrown, I personally am on
the side of the sure thing. But we've already got allergies, and I will
confess to a Reese's peanut butter ice cream bar when Caterpillar was a week
or so old.

For the OP: Pine nuts aren't highly allergenic, apparently - pine nut
allergy is rare even in areas where consumption is common.
http://tinyurl.com/2g73k http://tinyurl.com/29rfr says pine nuts are like
coconut and nutmeg and water chestnuts - you can be allergic to them, but
they don't count as tree nuts.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread; substitute mailbolt

Old January 3rd 04, 09:58 AM
Elana Kehoe

Dagny wrote:

I guess I'll just interject that I am not convinced these things are to be
avoided. Just because some studies show an increase in dangerous allergies,
does not mean that there is not a benefit that saves an equal number of
lives to be had from exposure to nuts that we just don't know about yet. So
I'm enjoying my nuts. I don't think we know the long term implications yet.

They do say that once a child doesn't test for a nut allergy, they have
to be exposed to it in order to keep the allergy away (people who go
through total avoidance have a larger chance of having the allergy come
back).

In children who already have food allergies, yes, these things should be
avoided. I'm not going to screw with the most serious food allergy out
there. I was avoiding nuts before we knew P had food allergies, just to
try to help it along (didn't do much good tho).

The way I see it, the long term implications are that we will be able to
throw out the EpiPen...unused.
--
It's Tis Herself
Old January 3rd 04, 09:58 AM
Elana Kehoe

elizabeth emerald wrote:

are pine nuts to be avoided like peanuts & tree nuts in regard to allergies?
i ate something that i found out had pine nuts afterwards. DS is 16 months.

Our allergist and his dietician said to avoid for us, since P had a mild
reaction to peanut in his blood test.

I was told to avoid nuts and seeds, since there's a similarity between
them. As well, P has recently started having breakouts with sesame oil,
so that's confirming for us.
--
It's Tis Herself
Old January 3rd 04, 08:21 PM
JennP

"Elana Kehoe" wrote in message

I was told to avoid nuts and seeds, since there's a similarity between
them. As well, P has recently started having breakouts with sesame oil,
so that's confirming for us.

FWIW, Matthew is also allergic to peanut and sesame.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old January 3rd 04, 09:44 PM
Elana Kehoe

JennP wrote:

"Elana Kehoe" wrote in message

I was told to avoid nuts and seeds, since there's a similarity between
them. As well, P has recently started having breakouts with sesame oil,
so that's confirming for us.

FWIW, Matthew is also allergic to peanut and sesame.

How is he with the oil? We were told P would be fine with peanut oil
and sesame oil, and that's not the case at all.
--
It's Tis Herself
Old January 3rd 04, 10:35 PM
JennP

"Elana Kehoe" wrote in message

How is he with the oil? We were told P would be fine with peanut oil
and sesame oil, and that's not the case at all.

I think it depends on when and how the nuts were pressed. We have had one
accidental exposure over the summer and he was fine. They were asian noodles
and dh didn't know it had peanut oil. He was fine, thankfully. We did dose
him with Benadryl just in case, so I guess I don't really know exactly what
would have happened.

As for the sesame, he tested "borderline", but I've seen him react many
times. Once we got the testing done, I realized what it was that was causing
the hives. I used to give him hummus with sesame tahini all the time and
didn't realize that was what was giving him the reaction. I trust that more
than the test, IMO. We treat sesame as if he is 100% allergic. He has had no
exposures since diagnosed. HTH
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00