Pumping

Old December 28th 03, 11:43 AM
Linz

Default Pumping

I know it's well early as I don't go back to work till YoungBloke is 6
months old - in May - but I thought it was about time I started
learning how to use the breast pump, maybe start building up a milk
stash in the freezer, and possibly get a feed or two ready for Bloke
to give when I've got medical appointments.

So yesterday I sterilised the pump and sat down to have a go, shortly
after YB had finished a feed. I'm using the Avent ISIS and have to
say, echoed by Bloke, "Crikey!".

90mls of milk in a 20min session. My first ever go, getting the hang
of leaning forward into the massager, getting the hang of pumping,
staring at the shape of my nipples, staring at the jets of milk (lots
from one nipple, two or three from the other, but little difference in
the amount of milk produced). The first five mins produced about 20mls
and Bloke said "I hope the boy gets more out than that when he feeds
for five minutes". I pointed out that a) he's growing so whatever he
gets is obviously adequate for him and b) babies are more efficient
than pumps and c) it was my first ever go with the pump, but after 20
mins we were both quite impressed.

Now I have to organise myself so I can pump first thing in the morning
rather than at 5 in the afternoon!
--
Linz
YB: 9 weeks, 12lbs 8oz
Old December 28th 03, 12:30 PM
Plissken

"Linz" wrote in message
[...]

Way to go Linz!!!! That is quite impressive especially for 5 in the
afternoon. What I do is feed my DD off of one breast during the night then
pump the other breast when I get up in the morning. I can usually get about
150 mL doing it this way. It's definitely a great thing to have a little
stash in the freezer and it's definitely good to start pumping now because
as your supply becomes more established it can be more difficult to pump. My
DD is now almost 8 months and the only time I can pump anything is in the
a.m. when she hasn't fed off of a breast for 12 hours. Thankfully I don't go
back to work until she is 1 year.

Nadene

Old January 3rd 04, 03:18 PM
Linz

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 04:30:31 -0800, "Plissken"
wrote:

"Linz" wrote in message
.. .

Now I have to organise myself so I can pump first thing in the morning
rather than at 5 in the afternoon!
--
Linz
YB: 9 weeks, 12lbs 8oz

Way to go Linz!!!! That is quite impressive especially for 5 in the
afternoon. What I do is feed my DD off of one breast during the night then
pump the other breast when I get up in the morning. I can usually get about
150 mL doing it this way. It's definitely a great thing to have a little
stash in the freezer and it's definitely good to start pumping now because
as your supply becomes more established it can be more difficult to pump. My
DD is now almost 8 months and the only time I can pump anything is in the
a.m. when she hasn't fed off of a breast for 12 hours. Thankfully I don't go
back to work until she is 1 year.

Thanks!

Strangely enough, for the last couple of nights YB's been sleeping for
about 4 hours at a stretch at night, so when he does wake up he gets
one breast and I keep the other to pump from during breakfast. This
morning I got... 250mls!

And this evening Bloke's going to attempt to give him his first
bottle!
--
Linz
YB: 11 weeks, around 13lbs