OT how long did you bleed PP

Old January 3rd 04, 10:16 PM
Lori

Default OT how long did you bleed PP

Hi ladies

How long did you all bleed after delivery. My baby will be 3 weeks tomorrow
and im still bleeding. Not very bad, but bad enough to wear a pad.

I was reading in one of my books and it said the max you should have
bleeding is 2 weeks and if it goes longer it could be because of pieces of
the placenta left inside (yuck).

I don't remember bleeding so long with my daughter and im starting to get
worried. However, if I had a piece of placenta wouldn't I be having milk
supply problems. I have enough milk to feed a small country ;0)

Lori

Old January 3rd 04, 10:25 PM
Dagny

"Lori" wrote in message
Hi ladies

How long did you all bleed after delivery. My baby will be 3 weeks

tomorrow
and im still bleeding. Not very bad, but bad enough to wear a pad.

I was reading in one of my books and it said the max you should have
bleeding is 2 weeks and if it goes longer it could be because of pieces of
the placenta left inside (yuck).

I don't remember bleeding so long with my daughter and im starting to get
worried. However, if I had a piece of placenta wouldn't I be having milk
supply problems. I have enough milk to feed a small country ;0)

Lori

I had at least four weeks before it was no longer red. -- Dagny

Old January 3rd 04, 10:37 PM
Tine Andersen

"Lori" skrev i en meddelelse
Hi ladies

How long did you all bleed after delivery. My baby will be 3 weeks

tomorrow
and im still bleeding. Not very bad, but bad enough to wear a pad.

I was reading in one of my books and it said the max you should have
bleeding is 2 weeks and if it goes longer it could be because of pieces of
the placenta left inside (yuck).

I don't remember bleeding so long with my daughter and im starting to get
worried. However, if I had a piece of placenta wouldn't I be having milk
supply problems. I have enough milk to feed a small country ;0)

Lori

6 weeks aprox

Tine, Denmark

Old January 3rd 04, 10:46 PM
Nina

"Lori" wrote in message
Hi ladies

How long did you all bleed after delivery. My baby will be 3 weeks

tomorrow
and im still bleeding. Not very bad, but bad enough to wear a pad.

First kid, about 5 weeks depending on activity level. 2nd kid, dont remeber.
3rd kid, maybe 1 week heavy, 1 light and that was it. I had a csection this
last time,

Old January 3rd 04, 11:06 PM
Elana Kehoe

Lori wrote:

How long did you all bleed after delivery. My baby will be 3 weeks tomorrow
and im still bleeding. Not very bad, but bad enough to wear a pad.

6 weeks almost to the day.
--
It's Tis Herself
Old January 3rd 04, 11:13 PM
MonifromMarrs

mine dragged on 10 1/2 long weeks . icky
Old January 3rd 04, 11:38 PM
Bruce and Jeanne

Lori wrote:

Hi ladies

How long did you all bleed after delivery. My baby will be 3 weeks tomorrow
and im still bleeding. Not very bad, but bad enough to wear a pad.

I was reading in one of my books and it said the max you should have
bleeding is 2 weeks and if it goes longer it could be because of pieces of
the placenta left inside (yuck).

I don't remember bleeding so long with my daughter and im starting to get
worried. However, if I had a piece of placenta wouldn't I be having milk
supply problems. I have enough milk to feed a small country ;0)

Lori

10 weeks with my first and only 8 weeks with my second.

Jeanne
Old January 4th 04, 12:05 AM
H Schinske

wrote:

I was reading in one of my books and it said the max you should have
bleeding is 2 weeks and if it goes longer it could be because of pieces of
the placenta left inside (yuck).

Huh? That's not what I've *ever* heard. It's the rare woman who has as *little*
as two weeks of lochia. Generally it does get paler, with less actual bright
red blood, but you can go on having enough bleeding here and there to keep
coloring the lochia for quite a while. Usually if you get bright red blood
after a week or so you are doing too much. (Incidentally, I have heard of a
couple of women who *did* have placental fragments without having supply
problems, so it does sometimes occur.)

From
http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/cache/-409337834.htm

lochia

This is the name that is given to the discharge from the uterus which lasts for
3-6 weeks post-delivery. The discharge for the first few days is mainly blood.
For the next 7-10 days it is a paler serosanguinous loss and becomes yellowish
for up to 6 weeks.

The lochia consists of fibrinous products, decidual cells, red blood cells and
leucocytes. There may also be organisms that are normal bacterial flora of the
vaginal tract eg anaerobic streptococci, E. coli, staphylococci and Clostridium
welchii. If there is a mixed growth of such organisms then this is not evidence
of an infection of the genital tract. The lochia from the uterus is alkaline.
As the lochia passes through the vagina it becomes acid and its constituents
decompose due to the action of bacterial saprophytes.

Infection is suggested by pyrexia and offensive lochia.