rubber balls

Old February 18th 06, 08:59 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default rubber balls

among other things, they are great for sitting on when you are in
labor!

How so?

because it gives you a lot of options for positioning, for example, sitting
on a birthing ball, then leaning you head and shoulders against a bed, or
other chair. Also, kneeling on the floor with upper body draped over the
ball, it being spherical, you can then use it to rock etc.

Anne

Old February 18th 06, 03:49 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

I used the ball with my trainer for exercises while pregnant and core
strength is very important to maintain. I would lie back on the ball
with my lower back supported by the ball and do modified crunches. I
would also lean against the ball which I had against a wall and do
squats. The ball provided great lower back support. I haven't used
one yet for labor though.

Carly

Old February 18th 06, 04:15 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Anonymama writes:

Oh, I get it -- because it's squishy, and doesn't have a seat. Thanks. I
just might go get me one of those...

I don't think anybody's mentioned that toddlers love them later, too. We've
ended up with 3 of different sizes(!) and I spent a while this morning
sitting on one and balancing my toddler on another while singing Incy Wincy
Spider about 20 times and bouncing us both up and down in time to the
music... And when we have parties, all the kids who come entertain
themselves with the balls in the hall all evening. Definitely good value
:-)

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Old February 18th 06, 10:18 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

On 2006-02-18 05:43:31 +0800, Anonymama said:

OK, here's an odd question. I've noticed many pregnant women own those
big rubber balls -- the kind I used to do sit-ups at the gym. Are there
exercises one can do with them while pregnant? All the exercises I used
them for wouldn't work now that I have the abdominal strength of a rag
doll. If they're not for "core strength," what the heck are they for?

I sat on one during pregnancy to help maintain good posture and try not
to have a posterior baby (no slouching!). During the early and middle
parts of labour, I sat on it and bounced through contractions.

It is a great way to relax your perinium (you can't clench and bounce
at the same time) and I used it like I've seen women use the gas - when
you start to feel the contraction, gently start bouncing. You have to
concentrate on balancing and keeping the bouncing going, and so your
mind is taken off the pain a bit. As the contraction subsides, you can
gently stop bouncing and just sit or rock around a bit in between.

I just find it great for women in labour to help them relax and open up
their pelvis.

Jo
--
Woman, Wife, Mother, Midwife