Hospital bill!!!!!!!!!!!

Old January 14th 05, 03:35 AM
Kaybee

"JennP" wrote in message
Just thought I'd share this in case I'm missing something.

*room total med/sur/gy/2bed 514.50
*magnesium hydroxide 30ml 2.05
*acetaminophen 325mg, tablet .67
*ibuprofen 800mg 1.75
*ibuprofen 800mg 1.75
*lanolin, 7gm 2.70
*maternity kit total med-sur supplies13.37
*antibody screen 57.00
*rh 29.00
*fetal hemoglobin screen 28.00
*blood typing, abo 13.00
*rhogram/rh-d immune globulin 201.00

Here's where it gets interesting:

*normal deliveries 1300.00

I just thought of something. Maybe the hospital is going to pay you for
delivering your own baby....

Wishful thinking I know.

Kay
Eva 9/2002
Ezekiel 1/2005
*fetal monitoring with delivery 246.33

So that's it. I'm not misinterpreting this, right?

JennP.

Old January 14th 05, 03:39 PM
JennP

"Kaybee" wrote in message

I just thought of something. Maybe the hospital is going to pay you for
delivering your own baby....

LOL. I doubt that though. The hospital said they would "rebill" my insurance
company. Not sure how that is all going to be handled since the matter was
settled and insurance co. has been paid.

JennP.

Old January 16th 05, 10:14 PM

Anne Rogers wrote:
I got an itemized bill for my surgery in November. While it was
outrageous, of course, ($350/hr. for the recovery room?) everything
looked accurate. The only thing I might have questioned was a dose

of
Toradol. I probably DID get it, I'm just not sure when.

well you tend to get 1 on 1 attention from a dedicated recovery

nurse,

If nurses earn $350/hr., I'm on my way to sign up for nursing school
tomorrow! (And he spent more time chatting with DH about sports than
looking after me...)

but
it still sounds expensive, I've never seen a breakdown myself, I had

my
wisdom teeth removal done privately, we had separate bills for the
consultants fees, the anaesthetists fees and the hospital fees, but

no
further breakdown,

I had to ask for the itemized bill, but they sent it when I asked.
(Initially it was just broken down into broad catagories -- pharmacy,
supplies, OR, and so on.) And bills are still trickling in. Just got
one from the pathologist the other day.

the prices were unaltered by the fact that I was slightly
more complicated, spent longer time in recovery than any of the other

patients in for the same surgery and was the last to leave the day

surgery
ward by a couple of hours, which probably implied overtime for at

least one
nurse, as well as requiring an extra visit from the oncall doctor.

Mine definitely ended up more expensive. What should have been about a
45 minute proceudre ended up taking over 2 hours, so I got charged more
for the OR and the anesthesia. And of course, being under anesthesia
longer meant I was in recovery longer, and then ended up spending the
night. (Though my hospital room was about the cheapest thing on the
entire bill!) And the doctor tried to charge for the three separate
proceudres that were done, but the insurance only let him charge for
the primary one. For which he still made over $1000. Not bad for 2
hours work. (Though I really like him. He isn't my main gyn [who is a
nurse practitioner and so doesn't do surgery]. He's called me several
times since the surgery to ask me how things are going, and is good at
explaining things very thoroughly.

Naomi

Old January 26th 05, 10:00 PM
Jamie Clark

Yes, I would call and see what you can do about deleting such items off the
bill.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

"JennP" wrote in message
So I give birth in my friend's car *outside* the hospital with no
assistance
at all and I discover that my insurance company was billed for a "normal
delivery and maternity". Curious, I called the hospital and asked for an
itemized bill. I recieved the bill and discovered that the insurance
company
was billed $1300 for "normal deliveries" in addition to all the regular
maternity stuff (which I expected).

Here's the kicker...not only was my insurance company billed for giving
birth *inside* the hospital but there is a line item for $246 for FETAL
MONITORING WITH DELIVERY!!!!!!! Um, I know telemetry units can work well,
but I don't think that they have started installing them in 10 year old
Jeep
Cherokee's!

My deductable is $500 regardless because I stayed overnight, so I'm not
upset about paying that. I'd have to pay it no matter what. But the
hospital
just automatically billed them for a birth they didn't assist with and EFM
they didn't use!! No wonder our insurance premiums are so high! Should I
call the insurance company about this? I feel like I should do
*something*.

JennP.