Need advice: Ear Infection on 8 month old

Old April 6th 04, 07:18 PM
Adrian Mongeli

Default Need advice: Ear Infection on 8 month old

Our soon to be eight month old, got an ear infection a few weeks back. The
doctor prescribed Ammoxicillin (pink stuff), but after properly using that
her ear infection came back with a fever. So then we were given
Ammoxicillin/Clavulanate Potassium (white chalky stuff), and today was her
last day on the stuff.

However, she's is still grabbing her ear at times. No major signs of pain.

The fact that she's still grabbing her ear makes me think she's still has
the infection.

Any suggestions on what to do next?? Seems like the antibiotics aren't
helping very much.

Thanks for all,
- Adrian

Old April 6th 04, 07:49 PM
jojo

My son had one ear infection that lasted 8 weeks and 6 different antibiotic
treatments and was still not clear. They finally put tubes in his ears and
he has
been happy ever since.

You will probably have to go through many rounds of different antibiotics
before your
doctor will suggest (or consent to) tubes.

My ds always got severe diarrhea with any antibiotic he took, so it was
really really hard on him. (and thrush as well)
But, tubes seem to be a last resort for many doctors and parents. After he
got them, my only
questions was why they waited so friggin long!

If you suspect your child still has an infection, head back to the doctor to
start the next round
of antibiotics! In the meantime you can try yogurt and lactobacillus for
thrush and diarrhea.
jo

Old April 6th 04, 07:59 PM
toypup

"Adrian Mongeli" wrote in message
Our soon to be eight month old, got an ear infection a few weeks back.

The
doctor prescribed Ammoxicillin (pink stuff), but after properly using that
her ear infection came back with a fever. So then we were given
Ammoxicillin/Clavulanate Potassium (white chalky stuff), and today was her
last day on the stuff.

However, she's is still grabbing her ear at times. No major signs of

pain.

The fact that she's still grabbing her ear makes me think she's still has
the infection.

Any suggestions on what to do next?? Seems like the antibiotics aren't
helping very much.

of those bugs are just so resistant.

Old April 6th 04, 11:01 PM
Adrian Mongeli

Thanks so much JoJo. Could you explain what tubes are? I never heard of
this.

Best wishes,
- Adrian

m...

Old April 7th 04, 12:43 AM
chattycat

"Adrian Mongeli" wrote in message
Our soon to be eight month old, got an ear infection a few weeks back.

The
doctor prescribed Ammoxicillin (pink stuff), but after properly using that
her ear infection came back with a fever. So then we were given
Ammoxicillin/Clavulanate Potassium (white chalky stuff), and today was her
last day on the stuff.

However, she's is still grabbing her ear at times. No major signs of

pain.

The fact that she's still grabbing her ear makes me think she's still has
the infection.

Any suggestions on what to do next?? Seems like the antibiotics aren't
helping very much.

Thanks for all,
- Adrian

I would go back to the pediatrician and have him check the ear. Sometimes
the antibiotic does clear up the infections but residual fluid can remain
for a few months. Sometimes an antihistine or decongestant (like Sudafed)
can help relieve the pressure from the fluid which *may* be causing her to
pull on her ears. If this is the case, keep an eye on things because there
is a greater chance of it becoming re-infected until that fluid clears up.
Good luck!

Old April 7th 04, 02:06 AM
Jeff

"Adrian Mongeli" wrote in message
Our soon to be eight month old, got an ear infection a few weeks back.

The
doctor prescribed Ammoxicillin (pink stuff), but after properly using that
her ear infection came back with a fever. So then we were given
Ammoxicillin/Clavulanate Potassium (white chalky stuff), and today was her
last day on the stuff.

However, she's is still grabbing her ear at times. No major signs of

pain.

The fact that she's still grabbing her ear makes me think she's still has
the infection.

Any suggestions on what to do next?? Seems like the antibiotics aren't
helping very much.

Thanks for all,
- Adrian

Take her to the doctor. There is no way to tell if a patient has an
infection without a proper exam. She may also have sterile fluid in her that
is irritating her ear, causing her to pull at it.

Jeff

Old April 7th 04, 02:14 PM
jojo

http://www.drgreene.com/21_185.html

this is a good article that explains it.
Many babies estuation tubes are to short or narrow to drain infection and
fluid
from the middle ear to the throat.
They are in essence a small tube (about the size of an ink pen tip)
that is placed in the ear drum to help the fluid drain.
We worried about the general anesthesia, but our baby was
only away from us for 20 minutes and felt fine the rest of the day.

jojo

"Adrian Mongeli" wrote in message
Thanks so much JoJo. Could you explain what tubes are? I never heard of
this.

Best wishes,
- Adrian

m...

Old April 7th 04, 02:18 PM
jojo

Sometimes an antihistine or decongestant (like Sudafed)
can help relieve the pressure from the fluid which *may* be causing her to
pull on her ears. If this is the case, keep an eye on things because there
is a greater chance of it becoming re-infected until that fluid clears up.
Good luck!

My pedi had told us to avoid the antihistamine or decongestant before tubes
because the dry up the fluid, but don't clear up the infection.
jojo

Old April 7th 04, 03:59 PM
Renee

"Adrian Mongeli" wrote in message . ..
Thanks so much JoJo. Could you explain what tubes are? I never heard of
this.

Best wishes,
- Adrian

Getting tubes is a minor operation where they insert a "tube" or
opening in the ear drum. This allows fluid to drain and the pressure
in the ear to even. My daughter had this done last summer at 8 months.
It was all done as an outpatient procedure. The worst part was that
she couldn't eat anything until after the surgery, so she was mad
until I nursed her. I think the actual procedure takes less than 5
minutes, but they put the younger ones under general anesthesia so it
takes an hour or so for them to recover. There is no cutting or
anything, they just insert the tube through the ear canal.

Renee
Old April 7th 04, 04:22 PM
jojo

"Renee" wrote in message
om...
"Adrian Mongeli" wrote in message

. ..
Thanks so much JoJo. Could you explain what tubes are? I never heard

of
this.

Best wishes,
- Adrian

Getting tubes is a minor operation where they insert a "tube" or
opening in the ear drum. This allows fluid to drain and the pressure
in the ear to even. My daughter had this done last summer at 8 months.
It was all done as an outpatient procedure. The worst part was that
she couldn't eat anything until after the surgery, so she was mad
until I nursed her. I think the actual procedure takes less than 5
minutes, but they put the younger ones under general anesthesia so it
takes an hour or so for them to recover. There is no cutting or
anything, they just insert the tube through the ear canal.

Renee

they do cut a tiny hole in the eardrum to insert the tube into.
jojo

Advice Please (x-posted) toto General 26 March 20th 04 04:47 PM
formula fed, 9 month old baby girl refuses bottle. Low weight gain ur General 6 March 12th 04 04:26 PM
Quick question about naps in a 13 month old... kks General 17 December 2nd 03 12:04 PM
Ear Infection vaccine? Circe General 5 September 20th 03 04:46 AM
Help - picky 12 month old Sunshine General 6 August 20th 03 06:54 AM