nap strike??

Old November 13th 04, 10:42 PM
Tamie

Default nap strike??

Old November 14th 04, 12:18 AM
Jennifer in Maryland

"Terri and Rob" wrote in message
. ..
For the past three days in a row, my girls have not napped. I put them

down
for their normal naps at the normal time, and used the normal routine.

(How
many times can I use the word "normal" in one sentence?). But all they do

is
play in their cribs for over an hour and then start crying. I usually

leave
them for 1.5 hours total and when there is no sleep by then, I go and get
them.
Any ideas for me? Should I try cutting them down to one nap a day? Right
now they have two (well technically right now they have none). They are

not
quite 11 months old, and my older son had two naps a day until well after

year. I don't know what to do.

Hi, Terri. Are the girls together in the same room? I know that when my
kids got closer to a year, they wanted to interact. I put my son in a
portacrib in one room, and left my daughter in her regular crib. That kept
the "two nap" routine going a bit longer. If they're already separated and
still bored/fussing, then yeah, I'd go for one longer nap. How long are
their two naps, and when do they usually take them? IIRC, my kids used to
take a morning nap from 10-11:30 or so & then a later afternoon nap. We
eventually moved them to 3:00-5:00 all the time (we had them nap late b/c it
gave us time with our older child, and neither of the twins had any
difficulty going to bed at 8:00 p.m.).

Jennifer

Old November 14th 04, 12:45 AM
Terri and Rob

They are currently in the same room but different cribs. Their morning nap
used to be from 9:30-11 and the afternoon nap used to go from about 2-4.
Right now, I put them in their cribs after the naptime routine, and leave
them there but they do not go to sleep, as you read in my previous post.
I can try to put one in a different room and see if that helps.
Thanks.

--

Terri & Rob
Colton (11-29-00)

Old November 14th 04, 02:23 AM
Jennifer in Maryland

"Terri and Rob" wrote in message
. ..
They are currently in the same room but different cribs. Their morning

nap
used to be from 9:30-11 and the afternoon nap used to go from about 2-4.
Right now, I put them in their cribs after the naptime routine, and leave
them there but they do not go to sleep, as you read in my previous post.
I can try to put one in a different room and see if that helps.
Thanks.

Good luck with that...it really worked with our kids. They just got to that
age where they wanted to chat & play. I think being separated just bored
them beyond belief. :-D

Jennifer

Old November 18th 04, 09:43 PM
multimom4

Three possibilities:

a) Due to excessive playing followed by tears of exhaustion (theirs, not
mine), I had to separate mine for naps (not for night-time) at about 8
months, so Jennifer could easily be right.

b) Before mine went to one nap, I noticed that they weren't really tired at
9:30a.m., so I bought some time by gradually making both naps start later
and end later and also making the a.m. nap a little shorter. So instead of
9:30, try 10:00 or even 10:30, but still get them up early enough that
there's time for a second nap.

c) Final thought: OTOH, despite being 6 weeks premie and despite the
ped. assuring me it was impossible, Hanna did indeed go to one nap at about
9.5 months (8 months adjusted), and all three of them were on one nap by age
one. The good news was that it was a very *long* nap, often 1:15 til 5:00
(sometimes later!) despite their 7pm bedtime. So I think yours could easily
be ready for one nap. Try a) and/or b) and meanwhile prepare yourself
mentally gradually to drop the a.m. nap by moving it later and later until
you have just the one nap from say 1-3 or even 1-4.

--Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
and Holly (4/4/01)