donating milk

Old March 9th 06, 07:25 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default donating milk

Hi

I hope this doesn't sound weird.... It didn't, in my head, til I went to
write this post!

At 6 months pg, I seem to have so much milk, that I am having to express
lots. I heard, years ago, about people donating breast milk to special care
babies, and think my auntie may have done it too.

It just seems I have so much, and 3 months to go for before I have anyone to
feed! I am in the UK. Has anyone else done this/heard of this? I don't want
to look like a nutter if I ask at the hospital, and I got confused
somewhere.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Lucy

--
Due with a little girl 15.06.06

Old March 9th 06, 08:20 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Thank you both very much for the link - I will email them and see if i am
eligible.

Out of interest, regarding freezing, do I freeze in normal feeding bottles?
And how do I defrost it?

Thanks again

Lucy

--
Due with a little girl 15.06.06

Old March 9th 06, 08:36 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I pump and bottle feed exclusively, and everything that my daughter doesn't
eat now, I freeze in breast milk storage bags. I'm assuming those are
available over there as well as here in the US. I have tried a few
different brands, and prefer Lansinoh, but again, not sure of what is
available over there. I started out freezing in 4ounce bottles, but after
about 30 of them realized they were expensive and took up too much room! As
it is, I had to buy a separate freezer for all the milk. If I dried up
today, she'd still have at least 3 months of milk left.

Betsy

Old March 9th 06, 09:13 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I love the Lansinoh bags too, and if there is not a retailer close you
can order them over the Internet. The Avent bags have clips that you
have to use that are a pain and often leaked, and Medela's bags have a
twist tie. Lansinoh are like ziploc bags.

Old March 9th 06, 09:19 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"jsco31" wrote in message
oups.com...
I love the Lansinoh bags too, and if there is not a retailer close you
can order them over the Internet. The Avent bags have clips that you
have to use that are a pain and often leaked, and Medela's bags have a
twist tie. Lansinoh are like ziploc bags.

The Gerber storage bags are also good, but they only have one zipper while
the Lansinoh have two zippers. I haven't had leakage with the Gerbers
though.

Old March 9th 06, 09:41 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

lucy-h wrote:

I hope this doesn't sound weird.... It didn't, in my head, til I went to
write this post!

As someone who's extremely ill child received donated milk, it is not
weird at all, and thank you!

Michelle
Flutist
Old March 10th 06, 12:51 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I hope this doesn't sound weird.... It didn't, in my head, til I went to
write this post!

As someone who's extremely ill child received donated milk, it is not
weird at all, and thank you!

it's a wonderful thing, my only concern would be that as lucy is still
pregnant that probably no one will accept her milk (colostrum), but it would
be interesting to find out

Anne

Old March 10th 06, 07:34 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Hi Lucy,
if you are accepted as a donor the Milk Bank will supply you will sterile
bottles and kit to sterilise your pump if you need it. You don't need to buy
bags/bottles unless you're keeping some of the milk for yourself. They will
also probably send someone to pick up the milk and drop off more bottles.
morag