hearing the heartbeat

Old September 24th 03, 01:43 PM
LeAnn

Default hearing the heartbeat

I went to see my doctor around 10 weeks and we were able to hear the
baby's heartbeat. But yesterday at 14 weeks neither the nurse or
doctor could find a heartbeat. The doctor says not to worry and come
back in 2 weeks to try again. Has anyone heard the heartbeat at one
appointment and not the next?

LeAnn
Old September 25th 03, 12:17 AM
Ericka Kammerer

amalia wrote:

This office has a portable ultrasound, so they wheeled it in to check for
both, and I didn't have to wait till my next appointment. But they should be
able to tell from your urine analysis that everything's still going fine,
right?

The urine analysis won't really tell you anything about
that.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old September 25th 03, 03:52 AM
LeAnn

I almost considered buying a home heart monitor but then I figured by
the time it was shipped and I recieved it it would be almost time for
my doctor's appointment anyway. I'm going to try to wait it out and
pray that everything is ok.

LeAnn
"amalia" wrote in message news:B8jcb.564833$Ho3.103344@sccrnsc03...
"Naomi Rivkis" wrote in message
On 24 Sep 2003 05:43:15 -0700, (LeAnn) wrote:

I went to see my doctor around 10 weeks and we were able to hear the
baby's heartbeat. But yesterday at 14 weeks neither the nurse or
doctor could find a heartbeat. The doctor says not to worry and come
back in 2 weeks to try again. Has anyone heard the heartbeat at one
appointment and not the next?

Not exactly, but at my appointment yesterday (18 weeks) it took the
doctor a couple of minutes to find the heartbeat. I was scared but she
said sometimes if the baby's in the wrong position it can be hard, so
I shouldn't worry. Hope that helps.

It scares me to death, but I have had it happen. I'm carrying twins and at
my last appointment (15 weeks), my doctor was unable to get a heartbeat on
*either* of them. She said the same thing about the position of the babies.

This office has a portable ultrasound, so they wheeled it in to check for
both, and I didn't have to wait till my next appointment. But they should be
able to tell from your urine analysis that everything's still going fine,
right?

Makes me wonder how anyone can stand to use the at-home heart monitors. I
think I'd throw myself into a panic every time.

-Amalia
edd 02/23/04

Old September 25th 03, 07:24 PM
Dagny

om...

wrote in message

Wal-Mart sells them for $29.99 USD and so does ShopKo and some other
stores..
Mark
EDD 11/03

m...

"amalia" wrote in message

[...]

The thing they sell at Wal-Mart is not going to pick up a heartbeat on a
fetus that young. At that price it is one of those abdominal noise
amplifiers that allow you to hear your gut gurgling through tinny
speakers -- and occasionally a heartbeat or fetal movement on a fetus old
enough to make a noise loud enough to hear through your skin.

Old September 25th 03, 07:57 PM
amalia

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
amalia wrote:
This office has a portable ultrasound, so they wheeled it in to check

for
both, and I didn't have to wait till my next appointment. But they

should be
able to tell from your urine analysis that everything's still going

fine,
right?

The urine analysis won't really tell you anything about
that.

Yes, I think I confused the urine analysis with the first two blood tests I
had, where my doctor was looking for hormone levels sufficient to indicate
the pregnancy was progressing.

Is there any other routine test that indicates a pregnancy is progressing,
other than the heartbeat check?

-Amalia

Old September 26th 03, 02:32 AM
Ericka Kammerer

amalia wrote:

Is there any other routine test that indicates a pregnancy is progressing,
other than the heartbeat check?

Well, fundal height gives some indication if it's
growing from visit to visit, though it's not a completely
precise measurement. Other than that, there's not much
they *do* routinely!

Best wishes,
Ericka