Boy Voted out of Kindergarten Class after being humiliated by his teacher

Old May 29th 08, 05:39 PM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

Default Boy Voted out of Kindergarten Class after being humiliated by his teacher

"The Ranger" wrote in message
ndwidth...
toto wrote in message
This is just so awful. It is being discussed all over the
internet on autism websites.

http://www.wptv.com/news/local/story...8-9f777910ab79

[snip]

The last time I saw a story this inflammatory regarding something done by
a school was during the Fox "news" dredging. There are too many key
elements missing from that story for it to be accurate.

The Ranger

Yup.

Old May 29th 08, 06:08 PM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
Merle Finch[_2_]

"The Ranger" wrote in message
ndwidth...
Merle Finch wrote in message
"The Ranger" wrote in message
ndwidth...
toto wrote in message
This is just so awful. It is being discussed all over
the internet on autism websites.

http://www.wptv.com/news/local/story...8-9f777910ab79

[snip]

The last time I saw a story this inflammatory regarding
something done by a school was during the Fox "news"
dredging. There are too many key elements missing
from that story for it to be accurate.

The same thing happened to my nephew 20 years ago
in an elementary school in Michigan. My nephew had
been recently diagnosed with ADHD mainly caused by Tourette's Syndrome --
which is a chemical imbalance
in the brain. The doctors and my sister were working
on fine-tuning his meds and getting him settled with a
therapist and had informed the school and his teacher
and asked for a little forbearance until they got him
stabilized. The teacher had him stand in front of his
class one day and had the entire class ridicule him
the same way this little boy was ridiculed. When
the principal received my sister's complaint and called
the teacher on the carpet, she said she didn't believe
in Tourette's. She thought he was just a bad kid.

Once he was stabilized and put with a more
understanding teacher, he became a straight-A
student, took first chair in symphonic band, is now
in grad school at the University of Michigan and
is an exemplary and well-adjusted human being.
But it was all threatened by one narrow-minded
woman when he was 6 years old.

I don't believe I said there aren't incompetent teachers out there, at
large, pulling stupid and hair-brained stunts. Jackasses that pull stunts
like you've mentioned should be terminated, not just for that school
district but prevented from teaching anywhere else.

What concerns me about Otot's post was its similarity to another recent
event. I watched as Fox "news" took a situation and sensationalize it into
nothing close to the original event. The principal, the superintendent,
and several teachers and prominent parents at that school received death
threats from having their emails posted across The Internet.

While I'm all for getting the story out so it doesn't get swept under the
carpet, I'm leary of going further because of that experience.

She was fired.

A proper outcome. I hope she took stock from the situation and moved on to
a more fulfilling career; perhaps fry-cook at JitB.

LOL. There was a JitB two blocks from the elementary school. It's now a Dom
Donuts. I should stop in there the next time in in MI and see if she's
wearing her hair net. ;-)

The Ranger

Old May 29th 08, 06:48 PM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
Nan

On Thu, 29 May 2008 03:35:12 GMT, toto wrote:

On Wed, 28 May 2008 18:22:33 -0700, "The Ranger"
wrote:

toto wrote in message
. ..
This is just so awful. It is being discussed all over the
internet on autism websites.

http://www.wptv.com/news/local/story...8-9f777910ab79

[snip]

The last time I saw a story this inflammatory regarding
something done by a school was during the Fox "news" dredging.
There are too many key elements missing from that story for it
to be accurate.

While the story may be inflamatory, the teacher has been removed from
the classroom pending investigation. And she has admitted to some of
the details.

I have seen teachers who are like this. I don't think they made this
up. It's not the majority, but special education students are often
treated very poorly in many schools.

I don't think anyone has said it's a made-up story, but I have to
agree with Ranger's thoughts on posting the email addys and the
potential for death threats or even stalking. That was my concern
with your OP.

Nan
Old May 29th 08, 07:04 PM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
toto

On Thu, 29 May 2008 12:39:42 -0400, "Stephanie"
wrote:

Having seen the problems with how schools treat special education
students, I think it is often time to act.

Based on what, exactly? The MEDIA?!? Right.

Based on personal experience, the experiences of autistic adults who
have disclosed what they went through in their childhoods and the
experiences of parents in various places where I have lived who have
special needs children.

I sat next to a young man who is visually impaired at the school board
meeting here. We talked briefly about the bullying and teasing that
he had experienced and how one particular teacher added to his plight
and another teacher helped when he transferred into her classroom.

Kids have always been cruel to those who are different, but we now
know that *if* we teach empathy and work with kids on understanding
differences, they can be very kind as well. Teachers are often
overworked and overburdened and don't always have the training to deal
productively with those who have behavioral problems caused by these
disabilities.

Things are a bit better now then they were, but autistic children are
still being placed in schools where they are abused such as this one:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...ve_vs_torture/

Pdf report about this particular school
http://www.isaccorp.org/documents/ju...bergreport.pdf

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old May 29th 08, 07:07 PM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
toto

On Thu, 29 May 2008 12:39:55 -0400, "Stephanie"
wrote:

"The Ranger" wrote in message
andwidth...
toto wrote in message
This is just so awful. It is being discussed all over the
internet on autism websites.

http://www.wptv.com/news/local/story...8-9f777910ab79

[snip]

The last time I saw a story this inflammatory regarding something done by
a school was during the Fox "news" dredging. There are too many key
elements missing from that story for it to be accurate.

The Ranger

Yup.

I hope you never have to deal with this with a special needs child
like my grandson. I believe it is truthful given the experiences that
I have had with schools dealing with him and with other parents in my
district who have had experiences with this.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old May 29th 08, 07:38 PM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

"toto" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 May 2008 12:39:55 -0400, "Stephanie"
wrote:

"The Ranger" wrote in message
bandwidth...
toto wrote in message
This is just so awful. It is being discussed all over the
internet on autism websites.

http://www.wptv.com/news/local/story...8-9f777910ab79

[snip]

The last time I saw a story this inflammatory regarding something done
by
a school was during the Fox "news" dredging. There are too many key
elements missing from that story for it to be accurate.

The Ranger

Yup.

I hope you never have to deal with this with a special needs child
like my grandson. I believe it is truthful given the experiences that
I have had with schools dealing with him and with other parents in my
district who have had experiences with this.

You believe that because other people have committed bad acts, THIS person
committed bad acts despite way too little in the way of story to actually
accompany it? I hope you never get accused of anything then tried in the
media.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits

Old May 29th 08, 08:36 PM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
Banty

In article , toto says...

On Thu, 29 May 2008 12:39:55 -0400, "Stephanie"
wrote:

"The Ranger" wrote in message
bandwidth...
toto wrote in message
This is just so awful. It is being discussed all over the
internet on autism websites.

http://www.wptv.com/news/local/story...8-9f777910ab79

[snip]

The last time I saw a story this inflammatory regarding something done by
a school was during the Fox "news" dredging. There are too many key
elements missing from that story for it to be accurate.

The Ranger

Yup.

I hope you never have to deal with this with a special needs child
like my grandson. I believe it is truthful given the experiences that
I have had with schools dealing with him and with other parents in my
district who have had experiences with this.

Oh come on put the guilt card away.

Ranger and Stephanie have a point. Jumping on a bandwagon based on a few
newspaper reports to flood someone with emails and snail mails can add up to
harrassment. And sometimes with no reason, if the reports turn out to be
inaccurate or incomplete.

I agree with Ranger - while it's good to be informed and talk about unfortunate
things like this, it's really in the purview of the *local* authorities to deal
with this. Not ever odd person who reads about something like this.

Banty