2nd Child

Old July 13th 04, 04:39 AM
Carol Ann

Default 2nd Child

What do you think the chances are that I could have a child again?

I am going to be 41 this year. Morgan is nearly 4 months old.

I was so fortunate to have a great pregnancy. Do you think I would be
pushing my luck to try for another child??

Just wondering out loud. People keep telling me that when a baby's teeth
come in early it means they are making room for another one AND that Morgan
would be happier in her older years with a sibling. Of course, I have a
sibling and it certainly didn't turn out well.

~Carol Ann
http://tinyurl.com/33uk7 ---Recent Pictures of Morgan born 3.24.04

Old July 13th 04, 05:01 AM
Emily

Carol Ann wrote:

What do you think the chances are that I could have a child again?

I am going to be 41 this year. Morgan is nearly 4 months old.

I was so fortunate to have a great pregnancy. Do you think I would be
pushing my luck to try for another child??

Just wondering out loud. People keep telling me that when a baby's teeth
come in early it means they are making room for another one AND that Morgan
would be happier in her older years with a sibling. Of course, I have a
sibling and it certainly didn't turn out well.

~Carol Ann
http://tinyurl.com/33uk7 ---Recent Pictures of Morgan born 3.24.04

Hi Carol Ann,

I'm not a medical doctor, but it seems to me that if you had
a good pg at 40, that means you're more likely than average to
have another at 41/42. I remember reading somewhere that
women's clocks tick at different rates...

Emily
Old July 13th 04, 05:28 AM
Tori M.

I would say that I have met many women that have had successfull pregnancies
at 40 and if you like being pregnant go for it. That said I have a friend
that has 4 kids and the biggest age gap is 18 months I believe... She tells
EVERYONE to plan better

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier due 10/17/04

Old July 13th 04, 05:53 AM
Beth

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
What do you think the chances are that I could have a child again?

I am going to be 41 this year. Morgan is nearly 4 months old.

Well, fertility really takes a nosedive after 37, and for most women, babies
are hard to come by after 42. Miscarriages become much more likely, too.
You might take longer ot get pregnant, and run greater risk of a
miscarriage.

But chances are great for another easy pregnancy, given your history, and
the risk of a Down child is still mighty low.

Good luck in deciding what you want to do. I have a 19-month old and am 39
.. . . and wondering if another child is in the cards.

Beth

Old July 13th 04, 08:12 AM
zolw

Well, I think that from 40 - 41/42 is not much difference. Fertility
problems happen after the age of 37, possibility of defects are checked
if you are older than 35. So, if your pregnancy, birth etc went well, I
supposed your chances of another godd pregnancy, birth are very much the
same as now.

Besides, you would probably take the AFP test anyways, you would get
checked up frequently, I see no reason why another pregnancy should be
any different than this one.

I believe that Morgan would be happier having a sibling. And eventhough
you & your sibling(s) have not bonded or whatever else your problems
are, it doesn't mean that Morgan & a sibling will have the same problems.

One last thing .. My best friend's mom had her third child (unplanned)
at the age of 43. My friend was already 21 & his sister was 19. She had
a normal pregnancy, normal birth, but had much more fun with raising the
kid than she did with the other two She said that her maturing has
made raising a child so much easier.

Good luck deciding

P.S.: I am still surprised that you still want to have another child )
I feel at the time being that this is my one & only child. I hated most
of the pregnancy (eventhough it was an easy one)

Old July 13th 04, 10:14 AM
Donna

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
What do you think the chances are that I could have a child again?
I am going to be 41 this year. Morgan is nearly 4 months old.

Well, you're certainly not infertile, so probably your chances are decent.
My second child will be born when I am 37, and I don't know that
statistically there is a huge difference in fertility between 37 and 41. I
think you're safe assuming that you can, physically, have another child.

I was so fortunate to have a great pregnancy. Do you think I would be
pushing my luck to try for another child??

Goodness, no. Maybe you're just one of those women who has effortless
pregnancies. My second pregnancy has been amazingly comfortable
compared to the first one. That doesn't seem to be an uncommon finding.
You may have two wonderful pregnancies. (And even if the second one is
less comfortable than the first, it's still just 40 weeks out of your life,
right?)

Just wondering out loud. People keep telling me that when a baby's teeth
come in early it means they are making room for another one AND that

Morgan
would be happier in her older years with a sibling. Of course, I have a
sibling and it certainly didn't turn out well.

If you (and your husband) want another baby, then have one. There aren't
any guarantees that your children will get along. I have one sibling with
whom I practically share a brain, and one with whom I get along
intermittantly, at best. That's the personality thing. There isn't
really a whole lot you, as a parent, can do to impact your kids'
relationships to one another, really, so take that issue out of
consideration. What do you and your husband want?

Donna

Old July 13th 04, 12:11 PM
firedancer623

I'd go for it. My MIL had a very successful pregnancy at 46 - unplanned and
totally unexpected. She didn't even realize she was pregnant until 21 weeks
and she has a healthy 7 yr old son now. (my husband had been her youngest,
he's 31 now)

Good luck!

Kari
mom to Kaylie, Noah and Xander

Old July 13th 04, 01:25 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Carol Ann wrote:

What do you think the chances are that I could have a child again?

I am going to be 41 this year. Morgan is nearly 4 months old.

I was so fortunate to have a great pregnancy. Do you think I would be
pushing my luck to try for another child??

Just wondering out loud. People keep telling me that when a baby's teeth
come in early it means they are making room for another one AND that Morgan
would be happier in her older years with a sibling. Of course, I have a
sibling and it certainly didn't turn out well.

You don't owe your firstborn another child. I
think siblings can be lovely (or horrible! ;-) but you
can't make this decision based on that. If you're going
to have another child, you need to want one for you--and
you don't get any guarantees. You could have another
great pregnancy, or you could have a rough one. You
could have an easy time getting pregnant, or it could
be difficult. I think the only thing you can go on
is whether you really want another child in your heart
and whether you can make room in your life for one.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old July 13th 04, 02:51 PM
Circe

Carol Ann wrote:
What do you think the chances are that I could have a child again?

I am going to be 41 this year. Morgan is nearly 4 months old.

I was so fortunate to have a great pregnancy. Do you think I would
be pushing my luck to try for another child??

I think if you want another child (for your own sake, not for Morgan's),
being in your early 40s is no reason not to try. Given that you got pregnant
at 40ish quite easily, you probably have better-than-average fertility for
your age (though there's always a possibility of secondary infertility,
regardless of your age).

From an anecdotal POV, my cousin and his wife have two kids--the first was
born when she was 38-39 and the second when she was 42-43. And my paternal
grandmother had two of her seven children after she turned 40--one at 42 and
the other at 47. And didn't Tony Blair's wife just have an unexpected
pregnancy a 45? It's really not all *that* rare, though the percentages
certainly diminish with time.

I just turned 40 last month. If I wanted another child, I wouldn't hesitate
to try based on my age.
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

This week's suggested Bush/Cheney campaign bumper sticker:
"Four More Wars!"

Old July 13th 04, 04:30 PM
H Schinske

Carol Ann ) wrote:

People keep telling me that when a baby's teeth
come in early it means they are making room for another one

What an entirely weird idea. I have NEVER heard this before.

--Helen