Cow's Milk + Brown Sugar?

Old May 2nd 06, 09:55 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Cow's Milk + Brown Sugar?

"toypup" wrote in message
. net...

"Beth Kevles" wrote in message

Hi --

Cow's milk is bad for the *statistical* baby, and can lead to various
problems later in life. But for the baby in front of you, who knows?

Now, cow's milk is NOT a "whole food", and it's not a great idea for
babies to live on it. (Sugar -- in whatever form -- is typically added
to make it as sweet as breastmilk, so babies will be willing to eat it.
There's nothing nutritional about it, and never was.)

I can agree with you that one should not feed cow's milk to a newborn. I
can agree that breastmilk is superior. But come on, there is *nothing*
nutritional about it?

Maybe she was referring to the sugar?

Old May 2nd 06, 09:59 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"oregonchick" wrote in message
. ..

"toypup" wrote in message
. net...

"Beth Kevles" wrote in message
Now, cow's milk is NOT a "whole food", and it's not a great idea for
babies to live on it. (Sugar -- in whatever form -- is typically added
to make it as sweet as breastmilk, so babies will be willing to eat it.
There's nothing nutritional about it, and never was.)

I can agree with you that one should not feed cow's milk to a newborn. I
can agree that breastmilk is superior. But come on, there is *nothing*
nutritional about it?

Maybe she was referring to the sugar?

Oh. That's a possibility.

Old May 2nd 06, 10:36 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Yup, I was referring to the sugar. That's why the "nothing nutritional
about it" phrase was inside the parentheses, along with everything else
to do with brown sugar. :-)

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old May 2nd 06, 11:36 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Beth Kevles" wrote in message

Yup, I was referring to the sugar. That's why the "nothing nutritional
about it" phrase was inside the parentheses, along with everything else
to do with brown sugar. :-)

I was told by the kids' ped that cow's milk is a no-no, mainly because it
doesn't hold any nutritional value for infants, and studies have shown that
the introduction of certain foods/drinks too early can cause stomach (or was
it intestines?) to bleed... He said, "Cow's milk is for baby cows. Mother's
milk is for baby humans."
Either way, I would NEVER consider giving my baby cow's milk - with or
without sugar... Breast milk, obviously, is the ideal option, and for me,
formula would be the next best if breast milk (either nursing or expressed)
isn't an option for whatever reason - don't care about reasons But
really, homo milk and sugar... Something about that seems to make me see
red, and the fact that MIL suggested it to me WHILE I was nursing - made
that clear right from day 1, even asked people NOT to offer gifts of baby
bottles and formula... With DS, I had went nuts with buying bottles, even
with full intentions of bfing, but with my first, and being very, very
young, I thought I'd grab some bottles just in case I didn't end up nursing
or I had decided to offer EBM in a bottle... Never used the bottles,
however, and when DD came around, I specifically asked for NO
bottles/nipples/etc., and even gave away all the bottles I had kept from DS,
aside from the glass ones that I thought I might want to pump and store in

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.

Old May 5th 06, 02:34 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Workingmom writes:
: xkatx skrev:
: To me, this threw me off and left me baffled... Cow's milk and brown sugar
: for a newborn???
:
:

: That's what mothers did 48 years ago here (maybe not brown sugar, but
: definitely sugar), if they couldn't nurse.

I thought it was evaporated milk and Karo syrup. At least that is what
I think I was fed. And it was about 10 years longer ago than you state.

Larry
Old May 6th 06, 12:43 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

In article sGM4g.2754$Yy5.517@edtnps89, "xkatx" wrote:

Anyone ever hear about something this far fetched? I don't know why it
popped into my mind, but back just before DD was born, MIL brought it up for
the first time... Saying something about how SHE would take DD whenever...
Shortly after DD was born, she had said the same thing... She'll take DD
whenever and I pointed out the small problem of how her food supply kind of
has to go with me and can't really be left with someone else if DD is with
someone else... MIL said that she'd give DD regular cow's milk (homo milk)
with a touch of brown sugar. I thought she was insane.

snip
To me, this threw me off and left me baffled... Cow's milk and brown sugar
for a newborn???

She's about 60, so say kids in the 1960s. The age when *everyone's* baby was
given some sort of artificial feeding. DH was born in 1966 and was raised on
condensed-milk formula... ie, milk and sugar! There wasn't anything added to
the condensed milk apart from water, and he was fed that because his parents
couldn't afford commercial formula. If your MIL was not well-off back then,
this explains her enthusiasm for milk-and-sugar -- it was probably what she
fed her own babies. So no, she's not insane, just 40 years behind the times!
And I met someone recently whose mother swore blind that condensed-milk
formula was better than all that newfangled stuff!

Has she asked you about orange juice yet?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old May 15th 06, 12:26 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Don't forget the diabetes, heart disease and asthma...