I have a local LLL leader and the health nurse stumped...

Old January 29th 07, 07:23 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

Default I have a local LLL leader and the health nurse stumped...

"betsy" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jan 28, 4:43 pm, "xkatx" wrote:
"betsy" wrote in
oglegroups.com...

-Only one 1 perscription, and it's the Micronor (sp?) mini-pill, and
have
taken this nightly since shortly after the beginning of Jan
-Noticed this nipple thing for 7-10 days
-No bleeding, just looks like it should be bleeding or had recently
been
bleeding, but hasn't
-Fine layer of skin on the nipple only that is peeling a bit

I've had similar symptoms while nursing during pregnancy. I'm
wondering if the hormonal changes from the mini-pill could also lead
to this?

--BetsyI've never taken this mini-pill ever before. This is the first
time I've

ever had it and been on it.
Don't scare me with the similar symptons while nursing during pregnancy!
This better not be the case for me, as I would be fairly upset! LOL
This lady is looking into possible side effects from the mini-pill.
After
it was brought up, though, I do wonder if it could possibly be because of
the Ovol?

Yes, it could be. The inactive ingredients could even have changed
since you used it with your others.

--Betsy

For argument's sake, let's just say that this is what's causing it...
Should I keep using the Ovol for DD or should I stop?
I think it really might be the Ovol. I was feeding DD earlier this evening,
and I made mention to DH that she does have a fantastic latch. I pointed
out that her lips are back, she sucks real good and she has a lot of the
nipple and surrounding in her mouth. At that point I stopped and also
noticed that the only part that is red is basically what goes in her mouth
and the redness and peeling skin part basically stops dead where her lips
close on my breast. It's like the red part is ONLY as far as her lips go.

....Part of me says to keep using it as needed for her, as I do think it
helps her when she gets cranky and difficult in the evenings and night.
Keep using it because it seems to help AND it seems to have an affect on me
in the way that my nipples are bright red, peeling skin off and looking
chapped, but also keep using it because even with these obvious symptoms, I
feel no real pain. It's not really hurting me or anything like that. Just
a very slight, very mild irritation. I find taking the garbage bags out to
the bin more of an irritation than my nipples, yet I still take the garbage
out.

Old January 29th 07, 04:02 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
betsy

For argument's sake, let's just say that this is what's causing it...
Should I keep using the Ovol for DD or should I stop?
I think it really might be the Ovol. I was feeding DD earlier this evening,
and I made mention to DH that she does have a fantastic latch. I pointed
out that her lips are back, she sucks real good and she has a lot of the
nipple and surrounding in her mouth. At that point I stopped and also
noticed that the only part that is red is basically what goes in her mouth
and the redness and peeling skin part basically stops dead where her lips
close on my breast. It's like the red part is ONLY as far as her lips go.

What about using a thin layer of purified lanolin like lansinoh on
them to help protect them from the Ovol? I don't know if it would
work, but it might help.

On the other hand, you are exactly describing how mine looked during
my 11 1/2 week pregnancy last fall. Because of this recent personal
experience I wouldn't completely rule out the mini-pill as a hormonal
cause.

--Betsy

Old January 30th 07, 09:55 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chookie

In article 4ezuh.162$Y6.56@edtnps89, "xkatx" wrote:

I have something strange going on, and it's left both an LLL leader and a
health nurse wondering.

For some reason, my nipples are extremely red, when they're normally like a
light brown color. Just the nipples, not around or anything. Also, the
nipples only are kind of peeling fine layers of skin. The best way I can
describe it is... It almost looks like my nipples are sunburned

ASk your Dr whether it could be cellulitis (a bacterial infection of the
skin). A friend of mine had it and it looked a bit like that.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue