Cow's Milk + Brown Sugar?

Old April 29th 06, 05:40 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Cow's Milk + Brown Sugar?

Anyone ever hear about something this far fetched? I don't know why it
popped into my mind, but back just before DD was born, MIL brought it up for
the first time... Saying something about how SHE would take DD whenever...
Shortly after DD was born, she had said the same thing... She'll take DD
whenever and I pointed out the small problem of how her food supply kind of
has to go with me and can't really be left with someone else if DD is with
someone else... MIL said that she'd give DD regular cow's milk (homo milk)
with a touch of brown sugar. I thought she was insane. One thing I was
told by my ped (that I've used for the kids now for over 6 years, since the
day DS1 was born) is that the baby should be given NO cow's milk. Breast
milk ONLY, and if I desire, regular homo milk can be introduced in food (as
in maybe soup made with milk or something similar) at 9 months - or so, and
I can give homo milk if I had wanted, as a drink in a cup at 12 months of
age, wouldn't recommend earlier.
MIL insisted that cow's milk and brown sugar in it is sooo much cheaper than
formula, and it's the same thing. I'm not sure how. Ped had said that
breast milk is definitely, by far, the only best food option for about 6
months, when food can be introduced, and at that point, breast milk need not
be the ONLY source of food.
When I asked about cow's milk and brown sugar (which I had absolutely no
intentions of offering to DD anyways, but out of curiosity I had asked) he
told me no, and it was basically like, "What part of no cow's milk slipped
past you?" (although he was not rude or sarcastic or anything lol) MIL, to
this day, insists on cow's milk with brown sugar for babies - apparently, my
SIL gave her children this mixture, and all her children are still alive and
well... She even gave one of the girls, who was something like 6 or 8 weeks
premature, cow's milk with brown sugar from day 1.
I have never done this. DD still hasn't had cow's milk to drink, but she's
had some in soup or mashed potatos and all that. She's also almost 9 months
old.
Has anyone ever heard of something like this? MIL is around 60. SIL is
about 36, BIL is about 33 and DH is 23. SIL's children range in age from
about 12 to turning 18, if knowing about how old everyone is and where they
stand in the time lines
To me, this threw me off and left me baffled... Cow's milk and brown sugar
for a newborn???

Old April 29th 06, 08:11 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

xkatx wrote:
[...]

It used to be brown sugar or Karo Syrup with milk. Kids are all alive
who drank it, but most adults who had this have intestinal issues and
allergies. I was fed this as well as my older brother against my
grandmothers wishes, my mum knew best and gave it to us because doctors
said it was good. Both my brother and I have health issues later in life
for it. We joke and say we are part of the mylanta maalox generation.

Jo
Old April 29th 06, 11:23 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Workingmom" wrote in message
news
xkatx skrev:
To me, this threw me off and left me baffled... Cow's milk and brown
sugar for a newborn???

That's what mothers did 48 years ago here (maybe not brown sugar, but
definitely sugar), if they couldn't nurse.

But naturally you shouldn't - if you feel uncomfortable doing it, there's
probably a good reason why you shouldn't

If she can even get the idea of giving milk and sugar, which other ideas
could she get without you there to tell her not to?

Tine, Denmark

1) Give DD a bolt to chew on to 'help her teethe'
2) Cake an ice cream is OK for a baby that's 2 months old.
3) You don't need a car seat, she'll just ride with MIL on the school bus.

There's 3 that popped right into my head faster than I could type them
out...
Unrelated, drugs are alright to her... She doesn't do them, but she sees
nothing wrong with pot, AND stashing it or storing it AND smoking it in the
house is just fine. I'm flying off the handle over the drug topic, it's
perfectly A-ok. Not really at all, though.

Old April 30th 06, 03:27 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I dodge the issue of letting my daughter go with my mom because of
drugs in the house... I feel guilty sometimes, because we were raised
around it and I was perfectly oblivious until I was out of the house.
They hide it well, BUT, still no. I wouldn't let my GM keep my girl
b/c of the karo syrup comments... I see where you're coming from!

Old April 30th 06, 06:14 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Brookben" wrote in message
oups.com...
I dodge the issue of letting my daughter go with my mom because of
drugs in the house... I feel guilty sometimes, because we were raised
around it and I was perfectly oblivious until I was out of the house.
They hide it well, BUT, still no. I wouldn't let my GM keep my girl
b/c of the karo syrup comments... I see where you're coming from!

MIL's house doesn't have drugs in it, AFAIK. She just doesn't think that
drugs and all that are a problem. She even went so far as to say that every
kid knows about it, yet at 3 years old, when it first became an issue when
DS smelled 2 guys walking past us and said they smelled like daddy, I HAD to
put an end to it right then and there. She said that kids know the smell
and all that, I told her not at 3 or 4 years of age. She then said of
course they do, then went on to say that she didn't know what pot was until
she was like 40 - which I believe is complete BS, but whatever.
I know this has now gone totally and completely off topic, and I know I'm on
a disappointed rant, but as of today, he's gone. He's made me make a
decision of he's gone until he can decide what's important. Quite frankly,
I have NO problems at all dismissing him out of our lives, as well as his
family, until I can be shown that he, and they, have nothing but the best
intentions for our kids. Sorry to rant and all that... It's late, I'm upset
and tired and just fed up. Just thinking about the in-laws in general makes
me very upset as of late...

Old April 30th 06, 12:23 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Hi --

Cow's milk is bad for the *statistical* baby, and can lead to various
problems later in life. But for the baby in front of you, who knows?

Now, cow's milk is NOT a "whole food", and it's not a great idea for
babies to live on it. (Sugar -- in whatever form -- is typically added
to make it as sweet as breastmilk, so babies will be willing to eat it.
There's nothing nutritional about it, and never was.) I think that most
infants who were fed cow's milk were also offered other foods as early
as possible so that they'd have a chance to thrive. Beef broth, rice,
whatever.

My two cents,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old April 30th 06, 12:47 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Arte wrote:

It used to be brown sugar or Karo Syrup with milk. Kids are all alive who
drank it, but most adults who had this have intestinal issues and
allergies. I was fed this as well as my older brother against my
grandmothers wishes, my mum knew best and gave it to us because doctors
said it was good. Both my brother and I have health issues later in life
for it. We joke and say we are part of the mylanta maalox generation.

Jo

That's interesting you say that - about the digestive problems. My partner
was more or less breastfed, but was supplemented with all sorts of weird
stuff like diluted sweetened condensed milk, beef broth and something else
that I've forgotten from a couple of months old onward. He practically lives
on Zantac and we have antacids scattered all over the house.

But I am made of stronger stuff, lol. I was formula fed (adopted in the
60's) and didn't like milk, so I used to have a really strange brew of
Vegemite (or marmite) diluted in water and mixed with orange juice.

I wouldn't know what heartburn felt like if it punched me in the chest!

Jodi

My DH was fed marmite as well. He loves the stuff

Jo
Old May 1st 06, 02:30 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Two words:

S#!T NO!

Jo

Old May 2nd 06, 02:58 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Never heard of it but I'm sure it was used in the past.

Your MIL's age gives a lot away. When I gave birth to DS1 my 58 y.o. mum
offered to give me her old child rearing books from Poland. I had a look.
Herbal tea from birth. Juice given at 2 weeks. Soup through a large hole in
a bottle teat at two months. I said no thank you. Even now she keeps
offering to give DS1 diluted juice or herbal tea, which I have to refuse.
The decision not to give juice is just my personal choice. The herbal
industry in unregulated in Australia and you never know what is actually in
those teabags. I'll take my chances but I'm not risking the baby having
something that's bad for him.

It's your baby and it's up to you what she is fed. I'm sure generations have
survived on that particular combo but your child doesn't have to if you
don't want her to!

Old May 2nd 06, 09:39 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Beth Kevles" wrote in message

Hi --

Cow's milk is bad for the *statistical* baby, and can lead to various
problems later in life. But for the baby in front of you, who knows?

Now, cow's milk is NOT a "whole food", and it's not a great idea for
babies to live on it. (Sugar -- in whatever form -- is typically added
to make it as sweet as breastmilk, so babies will be willing to eat it.
There's nothing nutritional about it, and never was.)

I can agree with you that one should not feed cow's milk to a newborn. I
can agree that breastmilk is superior. But come on, there is *nothing*
nutritional about it?