Layoffs latest hurdle for foster care agency Family Continuity's

Old February 18th 04, 04:29 PM
wexwimpy

Default Layoffs latest hurdle for foster care agency Family Continuity's

Layoffs latest hurdle for foster care agency Family Continuity's
decision has battered morale and raised worries about the children in
its care.
By CURTIS KRUEGER, Times Staff Writer Published February 17, 2004

The struggling foster care agency for Pinellas and Pasco counties has
begun laying off 80 employees, saying that cutting about 18 percent of
its work force is the best way for it to stop losing money.
News of the layoffs unsettled the 452-employee organization Friday and
Monday, and raised some worries about the abused and neglected
children under the agency's care.
"We're going to be fiscally responsible and continue to put child
safety as the top priority," Lisa Tackus, interim executive director
of the organization, said in explaining the cuts Monday.
But she acknowledged she was working to bolster morale among employees
shaken by the layoffs and a series of demotions. She appealed to
families whose children are in foster care to continue working with
their Family Continuity caseworkers, even though those caseworkers may
change.
"We're definitely in this together," she said.
The layoffs began Friday, one day after Family Continuity's No. 2
official, Roxanne Fixsen, resigned in protest over the impending cuts.
She said she was worried the cuts could endanger children.
The layoffs include 29 recent hires who had just finished a six-week
school for new caseworkers in Tampa. They got the news Friday, the
same day they took a test to allow them to start hands-on casework.
"Some were devastated, some were crying, some were angry," said John
Mullins, who directs the Professional Development Center. He said some
of the 29 had purchased cars and rented apartments to allow them to
start their new jobs.
The agency also plans to cut 26 managerial positions called team
coordinators and team supervisors. Each of the managers in these jobs
has been offered a demotion at lower pay, and some will become
caseworkers, Tackus said.
To make way for the demoted managers, roughly 30 caseworkers could be
laid off. But the overall number of caseworkers will drop only
modestly, from 174 to 168, Tackus said. Tackus said estimates show
that caseloads will increase only to about 27 children per caseworker,
from about 24.
"I don't feel it will have a significant impact. I think it's more
perception," she said.
Family Continuity is under a $37-million annual state contract to
supervise foster care and other programs for abused and neglected
children in Pinellas and Pasco counties. The state Department of
Children and Families used to handle much of this work itself, but now
is shifting the work to independent groups such as Family Continuity,
on the theory that they can do the job better.
But lately, Family Continuity has faltered. DCF recently put the group
under a provisional license and demanded that the organization make
several improvements, including reducing the number of crowded foster
homes.
One of DCF's complaints was that Family Continuity had showed "a
fundamental lack of supervisory oversight" and poorly documented what
caseworkers did to help foster children in the two counties.
How can Family Continuity improve its supervisory oversight at the
same time it slashes its managerial staff by 38 percent? Tackus said
she thought DCF's criticism focused mostly on whether caseworkers were
documenting their work, and that Family Continuity has instituted new
procedures to correct any problems.
Tackus, who recently took charge of the agency, works for a for-profit
Arizona-based company brought in to manage Family Continuity, which
itself is a nonprofit.
http://www.sptimes.com/2004/02/17/Ta...t_hurdle.shtml
Defend your civil liberties! Get information at http://www.aclu.org, become a member at http://www.aclu.org/join and get active at http://www.aclu.org/action.