"Time Wasting Rules" - from Real Simple Magazine - NOT GOOD!

Old July 13th 03, 02:47 PM
just me

Default needlearts and other crafts [was: "Time Wasting Rules" - from Real Simple Magazine - NOT GOOD!]

"Banty" wrote in message
Some day, some day, I would just LOVE to say something like "oh, foo - you

can
party ANYTIME...how about joining me and starting an embroidery project of

your
own - I can show you this new stitch I'm using from a book on Turkish

embroidery
- 'sira ishi'..."

Let's start a revolution! I'd love to learn Turkish embroidery........

On an aside, have you ever visited rec.crafts.textiles.needlework? They do
get a lot of off topic discussion going, but I have found some helpful
information there that I'd never find in most RL settings. If you can wade
through the OT stuff it is interesting.

-Aula

---

Old July 13th 03, 03:23 PM
The Ranger

Dawn Lawson wrote in message
[snip]

Your choice of religion is [thankfully] not government-mandated. We chose
formula for all three of my daughter-units based on the information
available to us from sources that we felt offered more balanced opinions
than those being produced by specialty organizations.

Attempting to use the same tired, old, redundant scare tactics that we
tanked my daughter-units potential insert favorite LLL catchphrase or
produced mentally-deficient specimens because we didn't exclusively bf won't
convert us to The Cause any more than it did during that time. We chose
formula for several reasons, mostly because we saw more benefits to using
formula than breastmilk.

The Ranger

Old July 13th 03, 03:28 PM
The Ranger

Jenn wrote in message
I am always surprised at how strongly resilient my daughter-units
are at my attempts to do what I think is best or right. Each test
often shows they will survive into adulthood despite my (and
many other well-meaning adults) book-based, doctor-supported,
new-age intentions. Go figure.

Meaning what, in the context of this discussion?

Just what it says, nothing more. If you're looking for darker meanings,
you'll have to dig up someone else's posts.

The Ranger

Old July 13th 03, 03:38 PM
just me

"Donna Metler" wrote in message
.. .
My husband claims both of us are hermits, because in general we prefer to

be
at home rather than out. I really dislike crowds (has a lot to do with

being
5'1" and getting lost and run over easily!), and he just doesn't like

being
around people much. So for us, even an evening with friends is more likely
to be spent playing scrabble at someones home than out doing something
noisy. And after spending all day at work with people, going out and
spending more time with people just is not appealing.

We're actually a little bit concerned about that for our children, when we
have them-how do you raise children who have adequate social interaction
when you don't really interact socially much?

Husband and I are both certifiable hermits. DS is a social butterfly.
There have been more than a few occasions where I had to actively talk
myself into picking up the phone to set up play dates for DS because it
meant *I* had to be social, too. I've made some nice friends this way, but
it has been real work for me to do it. I know husband is the same way.

I have come to think that children have their temperaments and DS' is very
social. So, we make our sacrifices to ensure that he has opportunities to
play and interact with kids regularly just like some parents make sacrifices
in the sleep or financial depts., among others. I have no doubt, however,
that DS will grow up quite comfortable with being alone and spending long
periods of time alone doing whatever as well, because he has been exposed to
it as the parental life style of choice. That may be a leg up on some other
kids out there, who knows.

-Aula

---

Old July 13th 03, 03:50 PM
just me

"Clisby Williams" wrote in message
I test INTJ. It absolutely fits.

Banty

I test INTJ also.

That's three of us. Scary. I wonder how many other idealistic hermits we
have around here?

-Aula

---

Old July 13th 03, 03:52 PM
Banty

In article , "just says...

"Donna Metler" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I agree completely.

This is a matter of temprament. My son is also very sociable, and in the
neighboorhood and in school he has lots of friends. And with certain
limitations (like they need to let their parents know they're here) they come
over to our house. Your childrens' tempraments *will* out.

If there is one thing that might be important, it would be to make sure to live
in a neighborhood with kids, which of course means tolerating neighbors. But
one basically has one's complete privacy in one's home. But all you need to do
is to afford some opportunity for sociability.

And - gee, being an introvert is *not* a pathology to worry about. We don't see
"I like hanging around with people all the time and I'm worried that my children
will always have to have someone to entertain them and never be comfortable by
themselves" posts. We *do* see a lot of "my four year old is shy gee what
should we do to get her 'out of her shell'" posts.

Banty

Old July 13th 03, 04:04 PM
The Ranger

just me answered in message
m Donna Metler's
question in message
.. .
[...]

husband is the same way. [snip]

SWMBO loves spending quiet evenings at home, or going to a park by herself.
She would probably fit the above descriptions. G

As Aula says, setting up playdates are the best way at stimulating
socialization -- for both parties. (You'd be amazed at the number of SAHP
that feel isolated and afraid.) These playdates also control the number of
people, the places, and the costs a parent has to deal with.

The Ranger

Old July 13th 03, 04:08 PM
Frisbee® MCNGP

"Corinne" wrote in message
I was alerted to this article on an email group I'm part of....I was

AMAZED
and greatly disappointed to read the following:

"The August 2003 issue of Real Simple magazine, currently on newstands,
contains an article titled "20 Time Wasting Rules to Break Now."
(page 136)

What's one of the rules to break? Breastfeeding. The article states
that with bottle-feeding, "you know exactly how much food the baby is
eating, and Mom may be less tired because Dad has no excuse to sleep
through 3 a.m. feedings."

The author of this piece apparently never considered parents of multiples.

--
Fris "Sleep? What's that?" bee® MCNGP #13

http://www.mcngp.tk
The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

Old July 13th 03, 04:42 PM
just me

"Banty" wrote in message
And - gee, being an introvert is *not* a pathology to worry about. We

don't see
"I like hanging around with people all the time and I'm worried that my

children
will always have to have someone to entertain them and never be

comfortable by
themselves" posts. We *do* see a lot of "my four year old is shy gee what
should we do to get her 'out of her shell'" posts.

Ah, but do you remember how many p0ts we've had in the various parent/family
newsgroups about over-scheduling of children? I suspect that would fit in
the category of possibly not being able to comfortable being alone with
themselves because they've had little practice at it. But, then again, I
could be wrong.

-Aula

---

Old July 13th 03, 05:32 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

just me wrote:

"Clisby Williams" wrote in message

I test INTJ. It absolutely fits.

Banty

I test INTJ also.

That's three of us.

Make it 4. Although I can be an ENTJ if I try really,
really hard. Since I haven't needed to be one in awhile, I
remember how much work it is, but not that I enjoy it.

Phoebe *introvert by temperament, extrovert by sheer force
of will*

At 3:22 am mom & son nancy Pregnancy 1 December 20th 03 06:57 PM
"Time Wasting Rules" - from Real Simple Magazine - NOT GOOD! Corinne General 138 July 25th 03 09:31 PM