Sharp pain early

Old September 25th 03, 10:21 PM
Lizmonster

Default Sharp pain early

Hi everyone,

I'm about four weeks along, and everything has been going
normally...except twice now I've experienced a VERY sharp (but quite
brief - one instant and it's gone) pain on the left side of my
abdomen. The first time it happened was about a week ago, when I
stood up very quickly - just a jab, and then gone. Yesterday it
happened when I sneezed.

My fear, of course, is ectopic pregnancy. I don't have any other
symptoms - no spotting, no tenderness - and this pain doesn't happen
every time I sneeze or stand up. I've been thinking I ought to call
and ask my doctor - my first appointment isn't for another week and a
half - but from what I've read on the Internet it's way too early to
be able to see if it's tubal or not, so I don't know if a call would
be terribly productive.

I have a rather absurd hope that there's somehow an alternative,
benign explanation for this pain. I'll admit, though, to being quite
worried at the moment.

Any suggestions?

Liz
Old September 25th 03, 10:30 PM
toypup

"Lizmonster" wrote in message
om...
Hi everyone,

I'm about four weeks along, and everything has been going
normally...except twice now I've experienced a VERY sharp (but quite
brief - one instant and it's gone) pain on the left side of my
abdomen. The first time it happened was about a week ago, when I
stood up very quickly - just a jab, and then gone. Yesterday it
happened when I sneezed.

I believe that kind of pain is rather common. I've had it with both my
pregnancies. Check with your doc for peace of mind.

Old September 25th 03, 10:35 PM
Fer

Lizmonster wrote:
|| Hi everyone,
|| I'm about four weeks along, and everything has been going
|| normally...except twice now I've experienced a VERY sharp (but quite
|| brief - one instant and it's gone) pain on the left side of my
|| abdomen. The first time it happened was about a week ago, when I
|| stood up very quickly - just a jab, and then gone. Yesterday it
|| happened when I sneezed.
|| My fear, of course, is ectopic pregnancy. I don't have any other
|| symptoms - no spotting, no tenderness - and this pain doesn't happen
|| every time I sneeze or stand up. I've been thinking I ought to call
|| and ask my doctor - my first appointment isn't for another week and a
|| half - but from what I've read on the Internet it's way too early to
|| be able to see if it's tubal or not, so I don't know if a call would
|| be terribly productive.
|| I have a rather absurd hope that there's somehow an alternative,
|| benign explanation for this pain. I'll admit, though, to being quite
|| worried at the moment.
|| Any suggestions?
|| Liz

My best guess would be that it was ligaments stretching. Anyone?
~~~Cheers!~~~
Jenn-WAHM-DS11-DD6-TTC#3

Old September 25th 03, 10:38 PM
Sophie

My best guess would be that it was ligaments stretching. Anyone?
~~~Cheers!~~~
Jenn-WAHM-DS11-DD6-TTC#3

I had the same guess.

--
Sophie -
TTC #4

Old September 26th 03, 01:49 AM
Kereru

[...]

Sounds exactly like the ligament stretching pain I have had with both
pregnancies. Ask your doc next visit but sounds totally normal to me :-)

Judy

Old September 26th 03, 02:54 AM
Taulmaril

I was having those same kind of pains, especially when I was sneezing and
since I have allergies that was quite often. My doc said that is was because
my uterus was growing from the size of my thumb to the size of a melon. He
said not to worry unless it was accompanied by other symptoms. I'm 15 weeks
along now and have only had the pain once in the last month or so. It helped
me when I would hold my stomach when doing something I know would bring the
pain on like sneezing. And when lying in bed I would bring my knees up to my
chest to keep it from hurting. Good luck.

Taulmaril

Old September 26th 03, 03:09 AM
JennP

"Fer" wrote in message
Lizmonster wrote:

|| I'm about four weeks along, and everything has been going
|| normally...except twice now I've experienced a VERY sharp (but quite
|| brief - one instant and it's gone) pain on the left side of my
|| abdomen.

snip
|| Liz

My best guess would be that it was ligaments stretching. Anyone?
~~~Cheers!~~~
Jenn-WAHM-DS11-DD6-TTC#3

Yep. Sounds like classic round ligament stretching.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old September 26th 03, 03:37 AM
Lizmonster

Thanks, folks - I will talk to my doctor as well, but now I can sleep tonight. :-)

(Can you tell this is my first?)

Bless you all,

Liz
Old September 26th 03, 04:25 AM
Christine

Default Sharp pain early ~Liz~

I am 4-5 weeks too, and I have the same EXACT thing!

when I stand up, when I sneeze, cough,
it went away for a week now its doing it again...I was scared but now
after reading all the replies i'm relieved...

I'm new at this too.....;-)

Christine