My 3.5 year old will pee, but not poop in potty

Old August 26th 04, 12:45 PM
JB

Default My 3.5 year old will pee, but not poop in potty

We have a 3.5 year old daughter that has been potty trained as far a
pee is concerned for several months. She has full control of her body
bladder and bowels; she wears panties all day and at night, too.
However, she refuses to poop, or even sit on the potty. (She will ask
for a diaper when she needs to poop.)

We have tried "everything" to get her to poop in the potty, without
any luck. We've tried bribes (candy, toys, dress-up clothes), but
they don't seem to do the trick. We have her poop, while wearing her
diaper, in the bathroom and then dump her poop from the diaper into
the potty (so she understands where the poop is suppose to go.) We
have had her sit on the potty while wearing her diaper. We've had her
sit on the potty for 10 min, etc. Each time we put on the potty, she
has a crying fit. (Getting her on the potty is a huge struggle.) She
will say "next time I will poop in the potty", but each time she has
to poop she will cry "I don't want to poop in the potty."

I believe she has more issue with pooping sitting down, then with
losing the diaper. (Even if she has a diaper on, she doesn't want to
sit on the potty.)

All the girls her age seem to already be "poop" potty trained; should
we conitnue to try to get her to poop in the potty or back off? I'd
like to know if anyone else has had a similar experinece and what they
did to get past the issue. Although I know there is no "standard",
for those that take a passive approach, by when do most girls decide
to poop in the potty?

Old August 26th 04, 02:52 PM
Mary W.

JB wrote:

All the girls her age seem to already be "poop" potty trained; should
we conitnue to try to get her to poop in the potty or back off? I'd
like to know if anyone else has had a similar experinece and what they
did to get past the issue. Although I know there is no "standard",
for those that take a passive approach, by when do most girls decide
to poop in the potty?

My daughter is 3y3months old and still has issues with pooping
on the potty - she'll do it sometimes, and sometimes not, so
I really don't have any advice for you (we are currently
rewarding her with Dora tatoos, and its working now, but
the reward system seems to work for awhile then stop working).
We've actually had some success with a poop chart - her picture
with 5 boxes, for each potty poop she gets a sticker. When all
the boxes have stickers, she gets to pick a toy from the store.

Anyway, my point was that it isn't that unusual for 3y+ girls
to not be pooped trained. There are a couple in her daycare
class of that age that are having the same issue. I feel for
you though, and will be watching for the advice you get.

My mom said with my brother, she had the same problem. Her
pediatrician told her that when he was ready, he'd use the
potty. And he was right. One day, he came out of the bathroom
with his pants around his ankles saying to my mom, "Are you
going to wipe me". From that point on he pooped in the potty.
He was 3.5 years.

Mary

Old August 26th 04, 06:45 PM
Rosalie B.

"Mary W." wrote:
JB wrote:

All the girls her age seem to already be "poop" potty trained; should
we conitnue to try to get her to poop in the potty or back off? I'd
like to know if anyone else has had a similar experinece and what they
did to get past the issue. Although I know there is no "standard",
for those that take a passive approach, by when do most girls decide
to poop in the potty?

I never had an issue with this with any of mine that I remember. When
dd#2 was trained for pee at 2.5, she was also trained for poop.

However, I do and my mom did have an issue (not with going in the
potty LOL) with pooping regularly. My mom was mortified because when
she was in school they had to report whether they had a bowel movement
each day, and since she didn't have one everyday, she couldn't say
that she had, so she didn't get a sticker. My dh has a bm every
morning. He thinks it is really weird and somewhat deficient of me
that I don't. Of course when mom and I (and my sister) do have one it
is what my dad used to call an ostrich egg and tended to clog up the
plumbing. It also was a bit painful.

I know one of my grandsons resisted pooping and would say 'it doesn't
hurt yet', but AFAIK he is now trained, and I think his little sister
is about ready, if she isn't already trained - she's 3.5 IIRC.

[...]

grandma Rosalie

Old August 27th 04, 02:36 AM
Jeff

"JB" wrote in message
om...
We have a 3.5 year old daughter that has been potty trained as far a
pee is concerned for several months. She has full control of her body
bladder and bowels; she wears panties all day and at night, too.
However, she refuses to poop, or even sit on the potty. (She will ask
for a diaper when she needs to poop.)

Then give her a diaper. For some reason, she doesn't want to poop in the
potty.

Make sure her feet are on a solid surface, like a stool when she poops.
Imagine if you had to poop and a huge toilet and your feet just hung there.
Make sure you don't flush while she is on the toilet (sometimes that scares
kids).

It is far more important that she poops and doesn't try to hold in her poop
than she poops in the potty. If she starts to hold in her poop, you end up
with problems with constipation, which you don't want.

Remember, it is her poop. She will put it where she wants. And she will win
any battles over her poop too (or, more accurately, you'll both lose).

[...]

She is poop trained. She knows when she has to poop, she can hold it and go
when it is time.

should
we conitnue to try to get her to poop in the potty or back off? I'd
like to know if anyone else has had a similar experinece and what they
did to get past the issue. Although I know there is no "standard",
for those that take a passive approach, by when do most girls decide
to poop in the potty?

Let her poop in the diaper. Ask her why she doesn't want to poop on potty.
And model the proper pooping experience for her.

Jeff

Old August 27th 04, 06:50 AM
Christine Chase

Potty teaching is a difficult road, I feel your pain. I wish I could offer
good advice, but our 3 year old won't poop OR pee on the potty. Because we
know how sensitive this issue is, we don't push it, but believe me, like
you, we've tried it all. Just don't stress over it, and while we've been no
more successful than you, I truly think that the bigger issue you make of
it, the worse it will be.

Act like you don't care whether or not she goes poop in the potty, but
reiterate to her every few days that pooping in the potty is something
everybody does eventually, whether she does it now or later. If she chooses
later, which she obviously has, so be it. Take it from me, I was potty
trained with spankings and humiliation - it may work, but it has BAD
repercussions. I got spanked every time I messed my pants, and I was not
allowed off the potty until I made pee or poop. This often entailed hours
on the potty, and I ate several meals in the bathroom. My mom brags how I
was completely accident-free within a month. She fails to brag about the
fact that I suffered with UTI's and constipation well into my teen years,
not to mention the hemorrhoids that kept me riding bikes my entire
childhood.

I am convinced that 3 year olds have the strongest resolve of any age
humans. If they don't want to do something, they just aren't going to do
it, regardless of how constipated, hungry, sleep-deprived, or sick their
will renders them.

Good luck
-Christine

8/26/04 4:45 AM, in article
, "JB"

Old August 27th 04, 04:14 PM
Nikki

JB wrote:
We have a 3.5 year old daughter that has been potty trained as far a
pee is concerned for several months. She has full control of her body
bladder and bowels; she wears panties all day and at night, too.
However, she refuses to poop, or even sit on the potty. (She will ask
for a diaper when she needs to poop.)

Hunter was similar only he never asked for a diaper. Personally, I'd
completely back off and gladly hand her the diaper (or get her pull-ups that
she can get and put on by herself) and just wait for her to decide it is
time to use the potty. Actually if you go the pull-ups route she might
decide it is more work then is worth it. I'd not mention one word and if
she is still using the diaper after 3 full months you could nonchalantly
offer her some big-girl reward (toy or activity) if she manages to poop in
the potty 5 days in a row or something like that. Then don't mention the
reward. Don't mention if she uses the diaper. Be pleased when she uses the
potty but not overly enthusiastic. Maybe use a sticker on a chart to mark
the success. 5 stickers in a row = reward. If she is anything like my two,
she is never going to use the potty just to please you. It has to be
something she decides. To much enthusiasm freaked Luke out and he became
really self conscious. For Hunter to much enthusiasm made digging in his
heels to annoy us much more fun then using the potty :-)
--
Nikki

Old August 27th 04, 10:04 PM
Scott

CBI wrote:
(JB) wrote in message . com...

We have a 3.5 year old daughter that has been potty trained as far a
pee is concerned for several months. She has full control of her body
bladder and bowels; she wears panties all day and at night, too.
However, she refuses to poop, or even sit on the potty. (She will ask
for a diaper when she needs to poop.)

snip

All the girls her age seem to already be "poop" potty trained; should
we conitnue to try to get her to poop in the potty or back off? snip

I would back off. Not all the other kids are potty trained. It is just
that parents tend to "discuss" (read: brag) about how early their kids
trained. They tend to cite the first instance of using the potty and
the ones who train later tend to not pipe up.

Ignroing this kind of talk is good practice for the
future as well. After all, you don't want your
daughter dating just cause all the other kids are
dating. You don't want her dieting just because
all the other kids are dieting. You don't want
her driving just because all the other kids are
driving. You don't want her to have a cell phone
just because all the other kids do. You don't want
to read another example, do you? Yet you do
want her trained just because her friends are?
I realize it simplifies your life (It's also great
when they start to wipe themselves!)

Your DD will train when she wants to -- and that's
the easiest route to take.

Scott DD 11 and DS 8

Old August 28th 04, 11:45 AM
PF Riley

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 01:50:08 EDT, Christine Chase
wrote:

[...]

Hear, hear. Christine speaks from her unfortunate experience.

I would agree with all the advice on this thread. A few more comments:

Refusal to use the potty at this age is often due not to
"stubbornness" but rather to irrational fear. This fear worsens when
she is forced to confront it (e.g., forced to use the potty or
threatened if she doesn't.)

Make sure her stools are soft and painless. When a child has a painful
stool, she may decide not to do it again, and will hold in bowel
movements, making future ones even more painful. Constipation is the
great enemy of potty training. Give her pear juice and a high fiber
diet, and if she still has hard and/or painful stools, talk to her
doctor.

Expanding on this: Never, ever make her feel bad for having passed a
stool, whether it's in a diaper, in her underwear, or on the floor.
She should be praised for letting the stool out, but you can certainly
discuss where to pass it next time. This can prevent retentive
behaviors that are counterproductive.

Finally, trying "baby steps" may be helpful. If she puts on her diaper
and hides in a corner to pass her stool, you can tell her that in your
family, one poops in the bathroom, and have her stand in the bathroom
to do it. Later on, as she gets more comfortable, have her stand right
next to the potty to do it, then perhaps standing on her step-stool in
front of the potty, then maybe sitting on the potty, and finally
sitting on the potty with the diaper off. Take each step only when she
is comfortable with the prior step.

PF

Old August 30th 04, 03:32 AM
Dragon

(JB) wrote in message . com...
We have a 3.5 year old daughter that has been potty trained as far a
pee is concerned for several months. She has full control of her body
bladder and bowels; she wears panties all day and at night, too.
However, she refuses to poop, or even sit on the potty. (She will ask
for a diaper when she needs to poop.)

snip

We went through this situation with our son, who finally began to pee
in the potty when he was almost four, had a few accidents outside and
then went on a potty strike until I drew a line in the sand when he
was 4 1/2. I knew he was physiologically ready cuz he would ask for a
diaper whenever he had to go (but get *very* upset if I asked him to
go potty instead). For what it's worth, here's what worked for us:

DS is not a bribe-able kid, so there were no toys or goodies that
would work to get him to use the potty. I spent a few weeks providing
him lots of potty content videos and books (It's Potty Time -- good
because it features older children, Potty Time with Bear, The Potty
Book, etc.) and talked about how, soon, diapers would be all gone. I
picked a day and followed through. He got upset, but went back to
peeing on the potty without too much protest.

However, pooping was another matter. This was a a child who normally
pooped two or three times a day, but he was able to withold his poop
for two days. By that time he looked so uncomfortable before bedtime
I was concerned he wouldn't be albe to get to sleep so I gave him a
diaper, he pooped and I resolved to try again.

Same thing during the next week or so -- more witholding. He would
ask for a diaper, and I would refuse, and he chose to deal with the
discomfort rather than poop in the potty. To make a long story short,
I gave him a diaper for his poops two more times before he finally
tried the potty. At that point he hadn't pooped for three days, and
there was just no stopping it :-) He really wanted his diaper, but I
just kept repeating, "You can do it! It's going to feel *really* good
to poopoo in the potty, I promise, please try." Well, he did, praise
be! It was never a problem after that first poop in the potty. As
someone else mentioned, I think DS had a fear about letting his poop
go this way that simply had to be faced. Once he did that first time,
he he was fine!

I guess my main point is that I allowed myself to be flexible in terms
of offering him a diaper to poop. I didn't give in unless a few days
had gone by, but I didn't want to let his stools get so big that they
hurt when he passed them. So it took a little over a week between
saying no more diapers and his finally pooping in the potty. Some
folks thought I'd lose what ground I gained by giving in, but I don't
believe that's what happened. I actually think it helped the
situation.

I would NOT advocate forcing the child to sit until they go. I think
that would simply make them fear you and the experience itself. It
may be that you need to back off, as others have noted, and give your
daughter a little more time. When you're ready to try again, don't do
what didn't work before, but something else instead: if she's been
using the toilet, get her a potty chair (kids *do* like to have both
feet on the ground when they poop -- good for pushing don'cha know
:-); if she's afraid of her potty chair, get her a cushy seat for the
toilet...

Believe me, if my son had been as far along as your DD is at 3 1/2 I'd
have been in heaven! There's still time to get this done, and I wish
you all the best!

dragon