Pregnancy & Infant Loss Awareness Month

Old October 1st 04, 12:01 PM
Crystal Dreamer

Default Pregnancy & Infant Loss Awareness Month

Each year, hundreds of thousands of families are faced with the tragedy of
pregnancy and infant loss. According to 1999 Centers for Disease Control
statistics, only 62% of all pregnancies result in live births.

In the month of October, in several cities around the United States,
committed parents, friends and family, and professionals hold a "Walk To
Remember" for the babies lost through miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy,
stillborn, and neonatal death. Families who experience this loss need
sensitive caregivers, understanding friends and supportive family members.
Therefore, awareness and education are very important. A supportive
environment can make all the difference in how parents cope with the loss of
a child.

October 15th at 7:00 p.m. is the day of candle lighting celebration
recognized by the SHARE Organization. Everyone is encouraged to light a
candle. The idea is to have a continuous wave of light encircle the earth in
memory of the children that have passed away.

Ronald Regan made it official 1988 with the following proclaimation:

Quote:
Each year, approximately a million pregnancies in the U.S. end in
miscarriage, stillbirth or the death of the newborn child. National
observance of Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month offers us the
opportunity to increase our understanding of the great tragedy involved in
the deaths of unborn and newborn babies. It also enables us to consider how,
as individuals and communities, we can meet the needs of bereaved parents
and family members on work to prevent causes of these problems.

Health care professionals recognize that trends of recent years, such as
smaller family size and postponement of childbearing, adds another dimension
of poignancy to the grief of parents who have lost infants. More than 700
local, national and international support groups are supplying programs and
strategies designed to help parents cope with their loss. Parents who have
suffered their own losses, health care professionals and specially trained
hospital staff members are helping newly bereaved parents deal
constructively with loss...

The Congress, by Senate Joint Resolution 314, has designated the month of
October, as "Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month" and authorized and
requested the President to issue a proclamation in observance of this month.

NOW, THEREFORE, I RONALD REAGAN, President of the United States of America,
do hereby proclaim the month of October as Pregnancy and Infant Loss
Awareness Month. I call upon the people of the United States to observe this
month with appropriate programs, ceremonies, and activities.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-fifth day of
October in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and eighty-eight and of the
Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirteenth.

Ronald Reagan
Former President
United States of America

Ideas for the Month of October

*Tying pink or blue ribbons around trees in yards, neighborhoods, and parks.
*Place signs and banners in your yard, neighborhoods, and parks.
*Contact your local radio stations and television news stations to have them
announce that October is *Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month.
*Write an article and submit it to your local newspapers.
*Sponsor flowers in memory of your baby in a church service or hospital.
*Have a t-shirt made that says I have an Angel, and have your child's name
put on it.

To order your Pregnancy & Infant Loss Awareness Pin, visit
http://www.amothersgrief.com/Store/InfantLossPin.html

Old October 1st 04, 08:14 PM
Elle

"Crystal Dreamer" wrote in message ...

snipped

Each year, hundreds of thousands of families are faced with the tragedy of
pregnancy and infant loss. According to 1999 Centers for Disease Control
statistics, only 62% of all pregnancies result in live births.

In the month of October, in several cities around the United States,
committed parents, friends and family, and professionals hold a "Walk To
Remember" for the babies lost through miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy,
stillborn, and neonatal death.

October 15th at 7:00 p.m. is the day of candle lighting celebration
recognized by the SHARE Organization. Everyone is encouraged to light a
candle. The idea is to have a continuous wave of light encircle the earth in
memory of the children that have passed away.

Thank you for this Crystal. My DH and I will take a walk on October 15
and launch four little candles on the lake in remembrance of the
babies we lost through miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy.

Hugs
Elle
Old October 1st 04, 10:03 PM
Amy

Thanks Lisa :-)
How are the boys?
I'll be thinking of you & Mariam this month.

--
Amy,
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old October 1st 04, 11:58 PM
Donna Metler

"Elle" wrote in message
om...
[...]

There is also a compassionate friends candlelighting (often accompanied by
remembrance services) in December, for parents who have lost children of any
age. I've found these very comforting, since my anniversary of my son's
death is very close to Christmas.

Hugs
Elle

Old October 2nd 04, 05:05 AM
Crystal Dreamer

"Amy" wrote in message
Thanks Lisa :-)
How are the boys?
I'll be thinking of you & Mariam this month.

--
Amy,
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,
& Ana born screaming 30/06/04

Hi Amy! They are doing great, growing so fast! They've already doubled
their birth eight. Unfortunately I had to stop breastfeeding. I was
pumping due to latch issues, and only getting 1/2 ounce a day, even with
frequent pumping, lots of liquids and lots of Fenugreek. I had a 5 day
hospital stay last week and during that time I pretty much dried up. I had
an ERCP to remove gallstones and then laparoscopic cholecystectomy (they
took my gallbladder out.)
I'm still in a lot of pain so I had an x-ray yesterday to make sure the
stent is still in the correct place. I haven't got the results yet, but it
really hurts!

--
-Lisa
Memories of Mariam

Old October 2nd 04, 09:38 AM
Amy

"Amy" wrote in message
Thanks Lisa :-)
How are the boys?
I'll be thinking of you & Mariam this month.

--
Amy,
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,
& Ana born screaming 30/06/04

Hi Amy! They are doing great, growing so fast! They've already doubled
their birth weight. Unfortunately I had to stop breastfeeding. I was
pumping due to latch issues, and only getting 1/2 ounce a day, even with
frequent pumping, lots of liquids and lots of Fenugreek. I had a 5 day
hospital stay last week and during that time I pretty much dried up. I

had
an ERCP to remove gallstones and then laparoscopic cholecystectomy (they
took my gallbladder out.)
I'm still in a lot of pain so I had an x-ray yesterday to make sure the
stent is still in the correct place. I haven't got the results yet, but

it
really hurts!

Ouch! I hope you're feeling better soon. My mother had hers out when I was
only young and she was very sick. Not a good time for you to get something
like that (though I'm not sure when a good time is!).
I'm so glad the boys are doing well, however you're feeding them. That's
terrific they've doubled their birth weights already! They're younger than
Ana, and she's yet to double hers.
((gentle hugs))