Help please, sleep problems

Old January 12th 04, 01:27 PM
bert

Default Help please, sleep problems

Hi,

I mainly lurk here but I find myself in need of advice. My girls just
turned a year old and sleeping had been going more or less OK until
recently. They were 6 week premature and had very bad reflux, Sonia
worse than Kirsten. As a consequence they slept in either car seats,
bouncy seats or some such for probably 8-9 months. Sonia still has bad
nights and ends up in a car seat, especially when she is conjested.

Kirsten is the latest problem. She gets on all fours and head butts
the crib (across the floor) when she is left in the crib to sleep -
either at night or at naps. She will actually, finally, fall asleep
in that position.

How do I get her to stop this? I can't put Sonia in the same room
until Kirsten falls asleep. I'm afraid that Kirsten will hurt
herself. (Now that she's started to crawl she has lots of little
injuries.) She also rocks when she's sitting in a high chair for
meals - that moves across the floor as well. She seems to have quite
a talent.

Lest I forget about Sonia, who had to be but to sleep in the downstairs
crib, when I pick her up to bring her upstairs the gas that she has been
experiencing the last few days shifts and she burps, farts in rapid fire
and is uncomfortable (read, whails loudly) when I lay her down in her
upstairs crib so it's another night of rocking her back to sleep every
hour and a half to two hours in the car seat. [Side note on cribs. We
have 2 in their bedroom upstairs and a crib and pack 'n play downstairs
for naps. We tried to get them in daycare with no luck - probably for
the better - so we have a woman who takes care of them 4 days and a
student who takes the fifth day. Having the caregivers not go upstairs
is our solution to having some control in our lives. It's not much, but
.... All cribs were bought very inexpensively from empty nesters or
those moving so it seemed financially possible to do. One even came
with bumpers!]

I wonder if they will ever sleep in their own beds, before they are 40!

Any insight or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bert
http://wookie.dnsalias.org/gallery/twins

Old January 12th 04, 04:15 PM
Megan

Oh Bert, I have no advice for you, b/c my two have always been very good
sleepers. Maybe just call your pedi and explain what it going on. Have
you ever tried Tylenol to mellow them out a bit. Not really telling you
to drug your children, but my pedi has suggested Tylenol when my kids
are very upset. I hope you get some sleep soon!!

~Megan~
Aidan Matthew & Alexis Valerie
Born September 28, 2002

www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aidannalexis

Old January 13th 04, 09:19 PM
The Huwe Family

Bert,

Have you tried gas drops? Our Ped told us to feed our babies rice cereal.
he said that's what they give babies with problems with reflux. You can buy
rice cereal with the same ingredients as formula so that your baby is still
getting the nutrition she needs. Sorry I cant yet give advice on babies
sleeping problems.

Gayle

Old January 14th 04, 01:01 PM
bert

Thanks, Gayle, for the suggestion on gas drops. It's a good one but
we've been using then since the girls were three months old. But it's
nice to know that someone cares/tries to give a suggestion!

Bert

Old January 14th 04, 04:39 PM
KimandJuan

Hi Bert!

My twins are just a few months older than yours. Although we have not had
the same sleeping problems as you Aislyn recently started to wake in the night
and she cry's until I sit beside the crib and shhh...shhh her back to sleep.
At first this would wake Emma up but she would eventually roll over and go back
to sleep now she doesn't even wake up. When Alexis was a baby she was a rocker
and it worried me especially when it was against the wall. The PED told me she
would stop if it was hurting her, and it was just a phase it lasted a few
months. It was something about releasing their frustration.

Good luck!

BTW, the girls are adorable! I had a friend in high school named Sonia and we
called her Sonia Begonia also!

~Kimberly
Mommy to Alexis Iliana 07/17/99 and
Emma Elidia & Aislyn Gabriela 10/01/02