Another Bday party question

Old January 12th 04, 02:34 AM
Ellen Kmetz

Default Another Bday party question

If the
party was at someone's house, I don't think it would bother me as much-- but
being a public place where you never know who might walk in, I'm just not as
comfortable.

I think you just summed up what I was thinking, Cindy. I left my DD at a party
at a house when she was 4 but I don't think I'd have done that in a public
place. Can you get a sitter for Jenna?

Ellen
--------
Erin 6/26/95
Bradley & Alex 10/5/00

Old January 12th 04, 07:05 PM
Cindy Senger

Yeah, I probably could get a sitter or maybe DH will offer to keep her. She's
breastfeeding and *refuses* to take a bottle and usually nurses during the
party time so that makes it a bit tricky but its a little easier now that she's
a bit older and eating some baby food. Or maybe DH will volunteer to take A &
A-- or maybe we'll just all go!! Thanks!

-Cindy (mom to Ashlyn and Allyson 6/99 and Jenna 6/03)

In article ,
says...

Old January 13th 04, 07:16 PM
RayDiRhymr

Hi,

Go with them. Just go.

This past summer, my 3 were invited to a mini-golf party. I was astounded that
some left their children at the party. One little girl whom I didn't know at
all kind of stuck with me and my crew. I assumed that she had known the mother
of the b-day girl well, and would have stuck with her, but that mom was totally
busy with her own. My 3 were 4.5 at that time.

Your first instinct was right. Go with them.
Diana
(w/ Grace, Jared, & Vanessa)

Old January 14th 04, 03:20 AM
multimom4

The first party I left mine at (they were almost 4 and the party was for
some twins who were turning 4), I think I was the only parent who did not
stay and I felt really heel-ish. In advance, it did not seem a big deal to
*leave* them because they were in preschool for nine months prior to the
party so I knew they would not be worried, but when I got back and realized
noone *else* had left their kid(s) I was very embarrassed. I did it, btw,
because Mom was in town and I wanted to take her out for a quiet coffee, it
being July and there being no other breaks for her with school being out for
the summer blah blah ... but in the end it wasn't worth it.

In 3.5 years, I don't think I have ever left them again, til the slumber
party last month, btw. Talk about bleedin' maternal guilt. ;-)

I guess you need to weigh the inconvenience of the baby etc v. how much you
care what the "neighbors" might think.

--Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
and Holly (4/4/01)

"Cindy Senger" wrote in message
Ashlyn and Allyson have been invited by a little girl in their preschool

class
to her birthday party next Saturday. (BTW, I was impressed-- we got two
invitations in the mail-- one addressed to each girl. Bonus points for

that
mom!!) I know from previous discussions to get two gifts-- got that

covered.
The party is being held at a local (small) children's museum. (We live in

small town and "museum" always makes me think of a big place, but this

place is
small-- like two rooms.) I called to RSVP and asked the mom if I needed

stay at the party with the girls. I asked because the invitations were
addressed to them- not to our family. She said it was up to me that there
would be lots of adults there and it was fine to drop them off for the two
hours or I was welcome to bring the rest of the family and hang out. They

got
a group rate for the museum, so it wouldn't matter cost-wise. Anyway, I'm
having a terrible time deciding whether to stay or not. I know the

parents
fairly well and trust them. If I don't stay, though, I don't want them to
think I'm using the party for free babysitting. OTOH, I'm not really

excited
about attending a kid's party where I really won't know many of the adults
there-- plus having to struggle with Jenna through the whole thing,

finding a
place to nurse, etc. Ashlyn and Allyson said they would be fine staying

with
the little girl's parents if I didn't stay. They're 4.5. What do y'all

think?

-Cindy (mom to Ashlyn and Allyson 6/99 and Jenna 6/03)