They can sure surprise you!

Old January 5th 04, 06:00 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Default They can sure surprise you!

Well, I thought the time had come to potty-train Katerina. She was
showing signs of readiness and understanding. We went and purchased
pull-ups (for the first day or two) and also 9 pairs of underwear (and
also the same for Joshua). I was thinking that Joshua wouldn't be ready
until late spring or early summer. I was going to start today with the
training.

Yesterday, late afternoon, Joshua decided he wanted to pee in the potty!
So, not only did I have the wrong child pegged, I had to start a half
a day early. LOL!

This morning has been quite tiring and it's only 10:00 am. Potty
training two toddlers at the same time while 34 weeks pregnant is
wearing me out. I'm asking every 15 minutes and they are both in
regular underwear. I guess I'll use the pull-ups for naptime.

Also, Joshua has now decided he wants to use the big toilet instead of
his little potty.

I'm still waiting for the poo, though. :-)

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old January 5th 04, 11:33 PM
H Schinske

Brigitte writes:

Yesterday, late afternoon, Joshua decided he wanted to pee in the potty!
So, not only did I have the wrong child pegged, I had to start a half
a day early. LOL!

You just never know, do you? I never ever EVER thought my son would self-train,
I just hadn't gotten up the guts to really make him yet, and there we were in
Penney's and he says out of the blue "I don't want to wear diapers any more, I
want to wear underwear."

--Helen

Old January 7th 04, 06:34 PM
Ellen Kmetz

Brigitte,

Same way here. DH and I both thought Alex would be a very easy trainer as he
is so much more easy-going than Bradley. Well, here we are 3 mos. past their
third birthday, and Alex still won't even talk about the potty. He changes the
subject. I swear, we're going to have to go from Luvs to Depends for this
almost-50 lb. kid And Bradley...the one we thought would be a nightmare,
trained himself last August. Literally, in a day, he was done. Poop and
everything. I didn't have to do a thing.

Just when we thought we have them figured out, they do things different! Good
luck with the potty-training.

Ellen
--------
Erin 6/26/95
Bradley & Alex 10/5/00

Old January 7th 04, 06:46 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Ellen Kmetz wrote:

Just when we thought we have them figured out, they do things different! Good
luck with the potty-training.

Thanks, Ellen.

Well, Joshua is continuing with the training and it is going well.
Everyday there are less accidents. :-)

Katerina, though, will have nothing to do with it. We'll try again in a
week. She says she's "scared" and won't pee in the potty. She
absolutely hates the feeling of being wet, especially when it runs down
her leg but I can't convince her that that won't happen if she pees in
the potty. She thinks the only "proper" place is in the diaper. Sigh.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old January 9th 04, 06:10 PM
multimom4

Good luck with Joshua -- and wish me well, too!! Coincidentally, I started
training Holly yesterday ... because of various issues (incurable
constipation / over-full bowel leakage, bad eczema on her legs that could
get irritated by urine, etc.) I am very nervous about this but there you go.
Quand c'est l'heure, c'est l'heure.

I am so glad you posted -- by 10:30 yesterday I was feeling pretty sorry for
myself (EHC's school was delayed two hours by remnants of snow storm so
could not focus on Holly; workman in to look at leaky fridge during which
Holly had an accident; phone continuously ringing off the hook during which
Holly had three accidents; my mother just left after three weeks not to be
seen again for months; and a total of three pees on the floor and four poop
leakages on the potty -- oh, plus the one she accidentally did on my
sleeve).

BUT the thought of helping *two* (or even one) while also so pregnant sets
me straight.

By the end of yesterday, Holly had only had two more accidents and had both
peed and pooped on the potty -- plus a nice dry diaper at end of nap. This
morning (10:05!!) two successes and no accidents yet. Coming along nicely.

DH away this week ... hopefully a nice surprise for him when he gets home
tonight!

Thoughts for you, Brigitte (you prob. know it all anyway, but it's useful to
remind myself of most of this :-):
a) I found that staggering the start date for EHC worked really well ... by
the time E saw the others go through it (I started them on the 8th, 12th and
18th of the month) he went from total disinterest to being "done" in under a
week (by the 23rd). So I wouldn't worry about K. for now ... prob. easier
for you over all. OTOH I am firmly against starting and stopping too often.
Just gives them the impression that PT is optional. So next time, choose
your moment and stick to your guns.
b) Although some (e.g. E) start pooping from the earliest days, I think most
kids continue to wait for a diaper (nap/night) for days, weeks or longer.
In our house, kids pooped on potty on first, 13th, 9th and first days of PT,
but we got pretty lucky I think -- maybe seeing E take it in his stride
helped the others.
c) J esp. (being a boy) may continue to be wet at night for months, so
don't sweat it -- only one of mine (so far!) was dry at night from being PT
onwards. The others took about 9 months and over a year more.
d) Hanna was also "scared" ... to the point of hysterics ... but on the
second day I realized what was wrong and she trained overnight once she took
a couple of Very Close Looks at Mommy Peeing on the Potty (I thought she was
going to fall into the toilet, she leaned so far in :-). Might be worth a
try taking K. in with you and talking it over in action for a few days.
e) Stay home as much as poss. right now for simplicity, but don't be put
off if you seem to spend the whole time taking J to bathrooms when you go
out. I had one memorable trip to grocery store that involved about two
hours to buy $20 of stuff -- three to pee before leaving home; three upon
arrival; three after checkout; three upon return home (and it's a ten
minute drive!) BUT the good thing is their bladder control increases fast
and dramatically once they understand the principles.
f) Patience, kindness and not getting mad are key :-)

--Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
and Holly (4/4/01)

"DeliciousTruffles" wrote in
message ...

Old January 9th 04, 06:50 PM
DeliciousTruffles

multimom4 wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the tips, Janet!

I'm going to hold off on Katerina for quite a while right now. A new
development occurred yesterday, unfortunately.

I apparently have pregnancy-related Supraventricular Tachycardia (SVT).
My heartrate shot up to 220 bpm and I ended up spending the day in the
emergency. They gave me adenosine to reset me heartrate to normal. Sigh.

So, we are going to continue with Joshua but slow it down to a pace *I*
can handle. That means pull-ups. Oh well.

My mom is coming over today to stay for a week so I can get some rest.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

I got a nice surprise tonight Jennifer and Robert Howe Pregnancy 22 May 16th 04 01:36 AM
NPR: How to make labor more painful (SURPRISE!) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 March 3rd 04 10:51 PM
surprise ultrasound... Carla Pregnancy 4 January 9th 04 01:25 PM
Surprise! Claire Petersky General (moderated) 0 December 14th 03 01:43 AM
A pleasant surprise laurie Breastfeeding 0 December 10th 03 04:08 AM