triplet question

Old January 9th 04, 05:30 PM
The Huwe Family

Default triplet question

How old were your triplets when you started taking care of them yourself
(without any outside help)?

--
Thanks,
Rob & Gayle Huwe

Old January 9th 04, 06:35 PM
multimom4

We had two FT helpers til 4 months (boys started sleeping thru).

We had one FT plus another 25 hours til 8 months -- not at all necessary but
it meant each child could have one on one care for a few hours per day which
made me feel less guilty. Also, we had signed a contract with the FT person
guaranteeing her 8 months work, so obviously we had to stick to that even
though by about 6.5 months I felt I could more or less go it alone during
the day.

From 8 months to 20 months we had from 22 down to 15 hours a week, which was
only needed because of dh's work hours (12-14 per day) and travel schedule
(4-5 days per week). The schedule was something like this (and then my
nanny's dh got a job in FL and that was that):
M 3-7, later 4-7
Tu 3-7, later 5-7
W 3-7, later none
Th 1-7, Mom's afternoon out
Fri 5-10, later 6-10
The short shifts were possible, btw, because nanny and her dh were
live-on-property so it was only a 10 second walk from her home to ours.

At 20 months I did it alone, no problems, until I injured my back, but
that's another tale.

So you could say that in our experience *if* dh had had the kind of job
where he could help a bit morning, evening or both (and not worked so many
weekends, come to that ...), we would not have needed a nanny after about 7
months or so. A Friday night babysitter is *always* nice though.

BUT remember: this was with two sleeping through the night (Hanna continued
to wake 2-4 times per night til about 19 months but we could get her settled
and be back in bed ourselves within 5 minutes) *and* all three were in a
nice regular rhythm for long daytime naps. *IF* I had not been getting
decent sleep and breaks during the day, no way could I have done it alone so
soon.

OTOH, we have no local family, so *NO* free breaks available.

Anyhoo, that was our experience, but YMMV hugely if your babies are not good
sleepers, or not so healthy, or ....

--Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
and Holly (4/4/01)

gy.com...

Old January 10th 04, 09:04 PM
Rosanne Jackson

Hi Rob and Gayle,
My three are turning four on Thursday, I think I still need help!!
I never had any paid help but terrific support from friends and family.
The first time I actually fed(bottle) them on my own they were 6 months
old...I let my DH go skiing that day. I had a roster of people to help with
the feeding which dropped off as the kids dropped their feeds. My Mother did
move in for four days a week for the first 3 or 4 months, I'll never forget
what tremendous help she was even at the respectable age of 76yrs.
I was lucky enough to get two volunteers (helped with bathing and feeding) I
still have my volunteer Gaye(the third Grandmother) who stays for a couple
of hours once a week and I go out on my own, I think you can get ten fold
the amount done without 3 little ones"helping"
I think what I'm getting at is help is still appreciated down the track but
the intensive help wasn't needed as the bottle feeds dropped off.
All the best
Rose

Old January 11th 04, 08:36 PM
RayDiRhymr

Hi, Rob & Gayle,

Without any outside help? 1 year old. But this is the story.

They came home at 9 days old. We had hired 2 part time nannies. This was the
day:

7 am; Ray (DH) left, and Teresa showed up
Noon - Teresa left, and Connie showed up
3:30 - My mother showed up (she is a school teacher and would come every day
after school for the first whole year)
4ish - Connie would go home
6:00 - Ray would get home, and my Mom would head out

This lasted for about 2 weeks. I couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't stand
never being in my house with my babies alone. We let Teresa go (who
subsequently had and injury that wouldn't have allowed her to work anyways) and
continued the routine above. We modified Connie's hours somewhat. I'd say she
worked about 20 to 25 hours a week. Connie's duties included general infant
care, holding, feeding, changing diapers, to running errands - she would
grocery shop for me (this was before Peapod.com), to laundry and light
housework. She was a fabulous cook, and would cook dinner for us about twice a
week. A true gem. After about 6 months, I reduced Connie's hours to 10 a
week. At about 9 months, I started taking the kids to the grocery store with
me by myself. After a 11 months we let her go completely. My mother had to
be gently extracted from the process. She was a tremendous help, but I really
wanted to get a routine down without any help. After a year, she stopped
coming every day.

We never had overnight care, and I wouldn't say we had the best sleepers. This
took a toll on both of us for a good 6 months to a year (I think we got used to
the lack of sleep for awhile). Ray was (is) a tremendous help. Even though he
works long hours, when he is here, he is really involved.

I would say that I could have done it all by myself at 9 months. I was
reluctant to let the help go at that point because I felt guilty that the kids
needed that extra contact, and that I might get too frazzled.

While we were going through it, we didn't think it was so horrible. As each
six months past, it was easier. Now we look back and wonder how we managed on
so little sleep. You, too, can do it.

Good luck.
Diana
(with Jared, Vanessa, & Grace who turn 5 on the 20th)