Minor rant

Old February 29th 04, 06:45 AM
Nikki

Default Minor rant

Well Luke gave up biting, which I am eternally grateful for. Now he spits,
another loathsome behavior. Whose child is this??? Hunter whined his fool
head off while shopping today (very unusual for him). I checked out the
book 'Good Kids, Bad Behavior: Helping Children Learn Self-Discipline' by
Peter A. Williamson. The intro sounded good. Has anyone read it?
--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old February 29th 04, 09:22 AM
dragonlady

In article ,
"Nikki" wrote:

Well Luke gave up biting, which I am eternally grateful for. Now he spits,
another loathsome behavior. Whose child is this??? Hunter whined his fool
head off while shopping today (very unusual for him). I checked out the
book 'Good Kids, Bad Behavior: Helping Children Learn Self-Discipline' by
Peter A. Williamson. The intro sounded good. Has anyone read it?
--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

FWIW, I had pretty good luck stopping the spitting. Every time DD spit,
I got visibly grossed out, grabbed a washcloth, and washed her face
thoroughly. Then I told her that when she needed to spit, she needed to
go and spit into the toilet. It worked pretty well. (Well, until my
kids hit their teen years, but that's another story.)

meh

Old February 29th 04, 05:59 PM
cara

Nikki wrote:

Well Luke gave up biting, which I am eternally grateful for. Now he spits,
another loathsome behavior. Whose child is this??? Hunter whined his fool
head off while shopping today (very unusual for him). I checked out the
book 'Good Kids, Bad Behavior: Helping Children Learn Self-Discipline' by
Peter A. Williamson. The intro sounded good. Has anyone read it?
--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Hmmm, my dd spits sometimes when she's mad, but she started doing it when she
was 3. We tried to redirect it to outside or to some other anger management
type behavior and that seemd to work, iirc. I know she doesn't do it anymore,
it seemed like a short phase, although she will still do it very rarely lately.

cara

Old March 1st 04, 04:29 AM
Nikki

dragonlady wrote:

FWIW, I had pretty good luck stopping the spitting. Every time DD
spit, I got visibly grossed out, grabbed a washcloth, and washed her
face thoroughly.

Oh, very good idea! I may give that a try!!
--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old March 1st 04, 04:32 AM
Nikki

cara wrote:

Hmmm, my dd spits sometimes when she's mad, but she started doing it
when she was 3. We tried to redirect it to outside or to some other
anger management type behavior and that seemd to work, iirc. I know
she doesn't do it anymore, it seemed like a short phase, although she
will still do it very rarely lately.

I hope it is a short phase for us too. He isn't always angry when he does
it. It started where he'd spit on the floor just to see the spit fall.
He's discovered I'm not to crazy about the spitting so sometimes he does it
now just to see what I might do ;-) He has also moved into spitting with
aim. I can't ignore it. I just detest it. Dh pretends he doesn't see it
so it is hard to get him to stop and puts a weird little spin on the whole
thing. It will pass I'm sure. Good thing he is so damn cute!

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old March 1st 04, 05:35 AM
cara

Nikki wrote:

cara wrote:

Hmmm, my dd spits sometimes when she's mad, but she started doing it
when she was 3. We tried to redirect it to outside or to some other
anger management type behavior and that seemd to work, iirc. I know
she doesn't do it anymore, it seemed like a short phase, although she
will still do it very rarely lately.

I hope it is a short phase for us too. He isn't always angry when he does
it. It started where he'd spit on the floor just to see the spit fall.
He's discovered I'm not to crazy about the spitting so sometimes he does it
now just to see what I might do ;-) He has also moved into spitting with
aim. I can't ignore it. I just detest it. Dh pretends he doesn't see it
so it is hard to get him to stop and puts a weird little spin on the whole
thing. It will pass I'm sure. Good thing he is so damn cute!

It sounds like he's just a budding scientist, exploring gravity and mouth
secretions! In which case, maybe ignoring it is a good bet, he'll get bored
and move onto something else interesting and exciting. I think I'd rather have
an exploratory spitter than a spittin' mad drama queen spitter, lol. Either
way, its gross!

cara

Old March 4th 04, 05:27 PM
laurie

Well Luke gave up biting, which I am eternally grateful for. Now he spits,
another loathsome behavior. Whose child is this??? Hunter whined his fool
head off while shopping today (very unusual for him). I checked out the
book 'Good Kids, Bad Behavior: Helping Children Learn Self-Discipline' by
Peter A. Williamson. The intro sounded good. Has anyone read it?
--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Haven't read the book, but Jessica did the spitting thing for a brief period of
time. It drove me absolutely insane, worse than any other negative behavior
ever. Can't say why, maybe because it's just downright gross! Anyway I just
ignored it because I found trying to correct it made her do it more. She
stopped after a few weeks, thankfully. She also did it during a time of much
chaos in our lives, so I think it was for attention.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, almost 3 years and
Christopher, 10 months
Old March 4th 04, 05:29 PM
laurie

I hope it is a short phase for us too. He isn't always angry when he does
it. It started where he'd spit on the floor just to see the spit fall.
He's discovered I'm not to crazy about the spitting so sometimes he does it
now just to see what I might do ;-) He has also moved into spitting w

Dh pretends he doesn't see it
so it is hard to get him to stop and puts a weird little spin on the whole
thing. It will pass I'm sure. Good thing he is so damn cute!

--
Nikki

Ok, Jess didn't actually spit on something, just on her face/in the air. Guess
you can't ignore it if you have to clean it! I do recall telling her
spitting was only for the bathroom/sink etc, but still, ignoring it worked
best. Good luck!