Just a little DH rant

Old August 20th 04, 03:01 AM
Tori M.

"Bóliath" wrote in message
Daye wrote:
"Tori M." wrote:

3. Stay with me the whole time and not smoke until after the baby is

born(I
would almost prefer this option I hate him smoking).

Tell him to get nicotine patches for the labor. It will help him get
through it. That is if you really want him by your side the entire
time...

Tell him to quit smoking!

I know it's not easy, I quit myself after 20 years at a pack a day, but
there can be no better motivator than your childs health, not to mention
your own.

If It was that easy he would have quit years ago.. I dont know if you
noticed a post I posted a while ago but he has many health concerns that he
does not take care of either.. Smoking is just the one that causes us to
lose money.

Tori

Old August 20th 04, 04:03 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Bóliath wrote:

Daye wrote:

"Tori M." wrote:

3. Stay with me the whole time and not smoke until after the baby is
born(I
would almost prefer this option I hate him smoking).

Tell him to get nicotine patches for the labor. It will help him get
through it. That is if you really want him by your side the entire
time...

Tell him to quit smoking!

I know it's not easy, I quit myself after 20 years at a pack a day, but
there can be no better motivator than your childs health, not to mention
your own.

This definitely doesn't work on everyone.

There *is* one thing that does work on some of those who won't quit for
the sake of their kids (or anyone else), though: a bet. Seriously.
That's what worked with my grandmother. She had been smoking rather
heavily for something like 30 years. Well one day, a friend of hers bet
her some money (I don't know how much) that she wouldn't be able to quit
if she tried. She quit right then and there, cold turkey, and never lit
up again. She won that bet, alright! Now she uses that tactic on other
people. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I guess it depends
on the personality of the smoker. Anyway, she at least tries to make it
a little bit lucrative: $100 if you quit. Just be careful if you try
this, though, because it can really tick people off if they're not the
betting kind. ;-)
Old August 20th 04, 06:57 PM
Seth Meyer

Tori M. wrote:

What I am saying is that I need someone with me so I dont make rash
decisions like IV drugs/ epidurals when no one else is with me

You could try "Can you come back in about ten minutes? I want to
discuss this with my husband before making this sort of decision.
Thanks."

oh and his bad cholesterol was 1300 last time it was checked.

Wow, that is bad! I thought cholesterol becomes a solid at 1000!

- Seth
Old August 20th 04, 07:24 PM
Tori M.

"Seth Meyer" wrote in message
Tori M. wrote:

What I am saying is that I need someone with me so I dont make rash
decisions like IV drugs/ epidurals when no one else is with me

You could try "Can you come back in about ten minutes? I want to
discuss this with my husband before making this sort of decision.
Thanks."

oh and his bad cholesterol was 1300 last time it was checked.

Wow, that is bad! I thought cholesterol becomes a solid at 1000!

- Seth

Lol I dont know but I do know he was on a heart attack watch in the hospital
a year ago when we took him in and he was falling asleep on his way to the
hospital and I had to keep him awake by pulling out his neck hairs, Ok I
could have tried something else but it worked He was jumped on almost
everytime he said something hurt. His blood sugar that night was over 600
but I dont remember the exact #... We figured when his monitor said "hi" it
did not mean the greeting He stayed in the hospital for 2 days and he
still has not done anything to take care of his blood sugar/ cholesterol
levels.. The other day he found out that is bs average (A1C i think) was
12! way too high.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier due 10/17/04

Old August 20th 04, 10:03 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Tori M. wrote:
"Seth Meyer" wrote in message

Tori M. wrote:

[...]

Tori, I hate to say this, but I really think that your DH needs a kick
in the ass, or as my DH would say, a boot to the head. Every time I
read about how he ignores his health, it makes me cringe like nuts. How
about I share a little story? I tried to find the news article, but I
couldn't so I'll just have to tell it myself.

Bill, a long-time friend of my mother's, was your DH almost exactly.
That is, he was a diabetic who ate whatever he wanted. I don't think he
smoked, but I can't remember. Anyway, he was overweight, had
cholesterol problems, and his blood glucose levels were never under
control. He was always in the hospital for this and that, and blah blah
you know how it goes. ;-) His family was on his case all the time.
His wife was afraid to lose him, and so were his kids.

Well, one day, it finally happened. I think he managed to get as far as
his early 50s, which was pretty good, but he could have gone much
farther, and *he could have died a more peaceful death*. The details of
his death: First, he went out and bought a new car. His favourite car
was always the Austin Mini. When they came back out again in recent
years, he went nuts and bought a really nice one. He had it for about a
week before he decided to take it out onto the 401 one fateful day.
("the 401" being so well known in these parts that mentioning it by name
is just habit) He had a major heart attack while at the wheel, and
crashed and died. End of story.

He was one of the nicest guys you could ever meet, too. His family was
devastated, but they of course had been expecting it to happen one of
these days. Ask your DH if he wants to die alone while in a crashing
car, unable to control his body. Ask him if he wants to be at risk of
taking other innocent drivers and passengers out with him. I don't even
want to imagine what poor Bill experienced, because it must have been
horrible. *In a way*, the surrounding cars were very lucky in that Bill
didn't crash into anyone else, but let's just say that on this
particular highway, congestion is so bad that I'm *surprised* that Bill
didn't crash into anyone else. Also, it's *extremely* fortunate that
there was no one else in the car. Make your DH think about what might
happen if this happens to him with Bonnie in the car. Not that I want
to completely freak you out...or maybe I do. I apologize if I've made
you feel badly. And yes, this is just *one* sad story. Your DH is
certainly not guaranteed to suffer the same fate. However, if telling
him about what happened to someone else has any effect, then by all
means throw this one at him.

I do not find heart disease and diabetes to be laughing matters.
Old August 20th 04, 10:40 PM
Tori M.

"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message
. ..
Tori M. wrote:
"Seth Meyer" wrote in message

Tori M. wrote:

[...]

Somehow I managed to marry someone more stuborn then myself! He does not
care what you tell him. How many people you know that have been on dialasis
that lead misserable lives for years afterwards. I worry about him all the
time that he will have a heart attack or a stroke and will not only hurt
himself but others. Not to mention for better or worse in my book includes
50 years in a 1/2 vegitative state.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier due 10/17/04

Old August 20th 04, 11:06 PM
Daye

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 17:42:08 -0400, Bóliath
wrote:

Daye wrote:
"Tori M." wrote:

3. Stay with me the whole time and not smoke until after the baby is born(I
would almost prefer this option I hate him smoking).

Tell him to get nicotine patches for the labor. It will help him get
through it. That is if you really want him by your side the entire
time...

Tell him to quit smoking!

Actually, the birth of my DD was so stressful, my DH started smoking
again. We had both quit when I found out that I was pregnant. It was
pretty easy. We both gave up. Then with all the stress of having PE
and with me being really sick, my DH was stressed beyond belief. He
bought a pack of cigs to help him get through it all.

Quitting is easy. It is not starting again that is hard.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan and Leopold
Old August 21st 04, 03:49 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Tori M. wrote:

Somehow I managed to marry someone more stuborn then myself! He does not
care what you tell him. How many people you know that have been on dialasis
that lead misserable lives for years afterwards. I worry about him all the
time that he will have a heart attack or a stroke and will not only hurt
himself but others. Not to mention for better or worse in my book includes
50 years in a 1/2 vegitative state.

I'm not sure that I would call him stubborn. I think I would call him
self destructive, to be honest. Does he enjoy having these problems?

Bitter rant Andrew Single Parents 30 January 10th 04 10:13 AM
Wednesday Depression (Rant) Alison Breastfeeding 12 December 11th 03 12:09 PM
continuation of my rant... Shannon Pregnancy 0 September 10th 03 08:07 PM
intro and RANT! Alicia Elliott Breastfeeding 10 September 8th 03 05:24 AM