is this true?

Old January 25th 04, 06:12 AM
Lucy

Default is this true?

"A&G&K" wrote in message news:E%DQb.748

Powder made on Talc can't give them pneumonia - that's a bacterial or

viral
infection - but it can irritate the lungs so is best avoided or used
sparingly.

So, clearly talc can cause pneumonia, inflammation (or swelling) of the
airways of babies, and even death."
http://www.parentsplace.com/babies/c...0967%2C00.html

Old January 25th 04, 11:08 AM
Clisby

Christine wrote:
However, I don't understand your attitude
about your stepdaughter.

I do not have an attitude about my 7 year old step daughter....its just
that she likes to be independent, and she could sneak in the room even
if the baby isnt crying... and this is my first any only child and I
will be a stay at home mom and I have the time to care for her....she
can help AT TIMES...and ONLY supervised! but I want my time alone with
my child...and not to mention that it only takes a second for a child to
drop a baby or not support her neck//////.....theres nothing wrong with
letting a child watch a child......
just not mine....JMO.....

OK, a better choice of words would be that I don't understand your
attitude about your stepdaughter's desire to take care of the baby.

Assuming that a 7-year-old is in school much of the day, you're going to
have plenty of time alone with the baby. I'm not suggesting that you
go off to a movie and leave the 7-year-old to babysit - just pointing
out that a 7-year-old is capable of being a big help, especially
once the baby is a few months old and likes interaction.

If you're particularly worried about her dropping the baby, then don't
let her hold it.

Clisby

Old January 25th 04, 01:28 PM
Donna

"Christine" wrote in message
the main reason I ask is because I have a 7 yar old step daughter...who
just cant wait to care for the baby..( I think NOT! ...she is a very
sweet girl and would mean no harm!!!!....but she is still only 7.....

If baby powder is a concern, don't have any in the house. You don't need
it. Problem solved.

But i'm afraid of her sneaking into the nursery with out me
knowing......
she already asked if she can have a monitor for her room....NO WAY!

I have a stepdaughter too. Our relationship was VERY rocky for years, and
the thing that turned it around was the birth of my daughter/her sister. I
don't know (nor am I asking about) the details of the relationship between
you and your stepdaughter, but I would encourage you not to include her, but
to remember that your daughter is her sister. She really should have full,
age-appropriate access. If she wants a monitor, why not let her have one?

Just some unsolicited advice from someone who has been there, and whose life
is a thousand percent better, now.

Donna

Old January 25th 04, 03:07 PM
Shelly

"Christine" wrote in message
the main reason I ask is because I have a 7 yar old step daughter...who
just cant wait to care for the baby..( I think NOT! ...she is a very
sweet girl and would mean no harm!!!!....but she is still only 7.....

But i'm afraid of her sneaking into the nursery with out me
knowing......
she already asked if she can have a monitor for her room....NO WAY!

Given that you've said that you think your step daughter is very sweet, and
wouldn't purposely hurt the baby, I think you are worrying too much! I was
eight when my little brother was born, and remember that by the time he was
a few months old, I was allowed to/able to change his diaper on my own,
carry him around a bit on my own, take him to my room to play. Mom would
check up on us frequently, and probably kept closer watch than I remember -
but then again, by that time she already had 3 of us, so maybe not - LOL! At
any rate, I remember being VERYconcious even at that age that I needed to be
very careful with him, and knowing that I had to support his neck until he
was able. My brother and I have a close relationship, and I feel very
protective of him even now - I wonder if part of it isn't because helping to
take care of him early on helped me to bond with him.

I'd say give your step daughter a chance. If whe is as interested in taking
care of him as you say, I would guess that she will take them to heart and
will be careful. Explain to her how to take care of the baby. And remember
that babies aren't THAT fragile. The vast majority of babies survive even
with older siblings helping out.

Good luck!
Michelle

Old January 25th 04, 05:07 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Christine wrote:

so my point was just to make
sure the baby is never alone with a child until the baby is older....and
even then.........well thats another story...;-)

Well, sure, you don't leave a 7yo watching a baby long-term,
but it would be an unusual 7yo who had to be watched like a hawk
every single second while with a baby, particularly with the
baby in a crib since it would also be an unusual 7yo who could
get a baby out of a crib (and anything else is highly unlikely
to inflict serious damage in a short amount of time). Sure,
a pillow in a crib isn't a good thing, but it's easy enough to
explain that it's not safe to put anything else in the crib
and if she slips a pillow in there sometime you'll just take
it out. The baby isn't going to suffocate in a few seconds
such that you'd need to run for the nursery at the slightest
sound.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old January 25th 04, 05:10 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Lucy wrote:

Cornstartch powder seems to be better... (but..??? is the J&J cornstartch
100% talc free?)

I believe so. It was years ago that all this information
about talc came out, and most baby product manufacturers switched
to cornstarch pronto as a result.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old January 25th 04, 07:35 PM
Chotii

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
Christine wrote:

so my point was just to make
sure the baby is never alone with a child until the baby is older....and
even then.........well thats another story...;-)

Well, sure, you don't leave a 7yo watching a baby long-term,
but it would be an unusual 7yo who had to be watched like a hawk
every single second while with a baby, particularly with the
baby in a crib since it would also be an unusual 7yo who could
get a baby out of a crib (and anything else is highly unlikely
to inflict serious damage in a short amount of time). Sure,
a pillow in a crib isn't a good thing, but it's easy enough to
explain that it's not safe to put anything else in the crib
and if she slips a pillow in there sometime you'll just take
it out. The baby isn't going to suffocate in a few seconds
such that you'd need to run for the nursery at the slightest
sound.

I wouldn't leave my newborn with a 3 year old, say...and was cautious
leaving my latest with her sisters when she was teeny-tiny, but now that
she's 6 months old, and the big sisters (6, 4 and 4) know what's reasonably
safe for her (barring a few incidents with Cheerios) I have no problem
leaving her in the care of the 6 year old to grab a shower. A 6 year old is
strong enough to carry an older baby (capable of supporting its own head) is
certainly strong enough to sit quietly with supervision, to hold a baby not
yet capable, wise enough to know when to come screaming to mommy, and
protective enough to keep younger siblings from doing hurtful things.

We told the girls from the moment we felt it appropriate to let them know we
were having a baby, that this was *everybody's* baby, not just mommy's and
daddy's. The purpose was to create the desired sense of ownership and thus
protectiveness, and NOT resentment, anger, displacement, or jealousy. Of
course I don't have to deal with step-family issues, but neither have I ever
had a moment of jealousy from my girls. They accepted their new sister with
great delight, and are her best playtoys.

I do think *any* child is more likely to display threatening, dangerous and
hurtful behaviour if they feel they've been elbowed out by the new little
interloper. The only problem - I take it back, we *did* have a problem -
was that my daughters wanted to resume breastfeeding when the baby came,
because after all, mommy had milk again, right? There were some hurt
feelings over that. But they soon forgot, esp. with the judicious
application of things babies cannot have, like oh chocolate chip cookies.

I wonder, Christine, if this isn't something you need to discuss with your
husband, the father of your stepdaughter? Surely he won't want his first
child marginalised simply because she isn't also yours...?

--angela

Old January 25th 04, 07:42 PM
Christine

I hope you don't do the same thing to your
step daughter.

Ouch, that one hurt!
Just to let you know,I am Not her mother figure....well, kinda I
am...she is here on week-ends... But she has a mother who loves her very
much!
what I mean is that she does not depend on me to give her all the
motherly love...

We have a great relationship!!!!!

and if I was to treat her mean my husband would NOT put up with it...and
I would not respect him if he let me get away with it!!!!!!
the same as if MY step mom would have treated me mean, MY father would
have NEVER put up with that!

I was simply trying to think of ways to prevent an accident...Why take
the chance/

she is too small to pour milk from a half gallon or even a quart
with-out spilling it...so we simply pour it for her until her hand gets
more steady....
so why would I let her pick up an infant.?

now when the baby can hold her head and or crawl around. that is a
whole different story!!!!!

case closed please!

Old January 25th 04, 08:15 PM
toypup

"Christine" wrote in message
I hope you don't do the same thing to your
step daughter.

Ouch, that one hurt!
Just to let you know,I am Not her mother figure....well, kinda I
am...she is here on week-ends... But she has a mother who loves her very
much!
what I mean is that she does not depend on me to give her all the
motherly love...

That would not lessen the hurt if she all of a sudden feels excluded.

We have a great relationship!!!!!

And you would want that to continue.

I was simply trying to think of ways to prevent an accident...Why take
the chance/

The accidents you are trying to prevent are all preventable by taking the
precautions advised on this thread. Don't let the child hold the baby and
don't buy baby powder.

You really give the impression that you don't want SD involved with taking
care of the baby at all except under rare circumstances under direct
supervision. You also give the impression that you want to exclude her by
saying this is your only child and you want alone time. I'm not sure why
you want alone time from SD when when she is only there on weekends. That
would mean you don't want to see much of her at all. How hurtful is that?

Old January 25th 04, 08:47 PM
Ty

Christine wrote in message
she is too small to pour milk from a half gallon or even a quart
with-out spilling it...so we simply pour it for her until her hand gets
more steady....
so why would I let her pick up an infant.?

A 7 year old is more than capable of holding a baby, even a newborn. Pouring
from a gallon jug is different than sitting down with a baby in a kid's lap.
I'm sure you'll realize all this once your baby comes.
Marie