other people's kids

Old October 21st 08, 01:02 AM posted to misc.kids
toypup[_2_]

Default other people's kids

When you live on a block where other kids show hop over to play and then
they want to go to someone else's house (we are all nearby neighbors and
kids like to househop), do you phone the parents whenever the kids go from
your house to someone else's house?

Old October 21st 08, 01:14 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , toypup says...

When you live on a block where other kids show hop over to play and then
they want to go to someone else's house (we are all nearby neighbors and
kids like to househop), do you phone the parents whenever the kids go from
your house to someone else's house?

I had a rule that if kids are playing inside my house, they phone their parents,
even if just to leave a message.

After they left, though, I left it up to them to do whatever. I considered that
beyong what I needed to do - they'd be outside again, or they'd be at another
house. If their parents did call, I could say they had left and when.

A couple of parents complained about my having their kids call them ("it's a
hassle...", "oh, don't worry, he doesn't *need* to call me"). I said it was
*my* rule in *my* house, that children playing there, their parents know where
they are.

Banty

Old October 24th 08, 04:27 PM posted to misc.kids
JennP.[_3_]

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 17:02:11 -0700, "toypup"
wrote:

When you live on a block where other kids show hop over to play and then
they want to go to someone else's house (we are all nearby neighbors and
kids like to househop), do you phone the parents whenever the kids go from
your house to someone else's house?

This is a really good question. If it's a kid from the neighborhood I
generally don't because they are usually used to the kid going to a
different house. If it is an outside kid I've told the parents that
sometimes they like to do this and would it be ok. I haven't had a
problem with it so far, but I tend to take a walk down and check on
things if I can.

I think your ds is about the same age as mine, just turned 8?

JennP.
Old October 24th 08, 04:44 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka

wrote:

When you live on a block where other kids show hop over to play and then
they want to go to someone else's house (we are all nearby neighbors and
kids like to househop), do you phone the parents whenever the kids go from
your house to someone else's house?

This is a really good question. If it's a kid from the neighborhood I
generally don't because they are usually used to the kid going to a
different house. If it is an outside kid I've told the parents that
sometimes they like to do this and would it be ok. I haven't had a
problem with it so far, but I tend to take a walk down and check on
things if I can.

My expectation is that I know where my kids are, though
I'll take "we'll be at either Bob's or Pete's house or outside
between the two" for an answer. What I don't want is to have
to go down the street knocking on doors if a need arises for
me to get the kids. If kids are at my house, I'll ask if
their parents know where they are or can reach them. Some
of the kids are toting cell phones and have a deal where they're
allowed at a list of homes and get reeled in by cell phone if
needed. I always feel bad when I get the knock on the door
and it's a parent or sibling canvassing the neighborhood
trying to track down a kid. It's annoying, if nothing else.
I think good manners require that the parent know where the
kid is.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old October 24th 08, 06:11 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Which places the responsibility on me to call other parents when their kids
leave my house to go next door or are you saying this is the child's
responsibility?

Old October 24th 08, 07:14 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka

toypup wrote:

"Ericka" wrote in message

[...]

A child in my house *is* my responsibility, like it
or not. I take responsibility for asking the kids to make
sure their parents know where they are or can reach them
when they are at my house.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old October 24th 08, 09:01 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup[_2_]

"Ericka" wrote in message
A child in my house *is* my responsibility, like it
or not. I take responsibility for asking the kids to make
sure their parents know where they are or can reach them
when they are at my house.

Yes, but then you call all the parents when they go next door or do you make
it then the neighbor's responsibility to contact all the parents for the
kids who are now at the neighbor's house?

Old October 25th 08, 02:33 AM posted to misc.kids
Ericka

toypup wrote:

"Ericka" wrote in message
A child in my house *is* my responsibility, like it
or not. I take responsibility for asking the kids to make
sure their parents know where they are or can reach them
when they are at my house.

Yes, but then you call all the parents when they go next door or do you
make it then the neighbor's responsibility to contact all the parents
for the kids who are now at the neighbor's house?

When they get to the neighbor's house, they're
the neighbor's responsibility ;-) Except *MY* kids have
darned well better let me know where they were going
to be.

Best wishes,
Ericka