Baby Food Question

Old August 6th 03, 10:24 PM
Ali's Daddie

Default Baby Food Question

I am posting this to 3 different NG's, but not cross posting.

Alegra is not ready for solids yet. In fact, the pediatrician said that she
will discuss with us the introduction of solids at our next visit (september
30th). 4 month visit.

What I am wanting to know is how many of you make your own baby food?

What kind of processor (blender etc) do you use?

And lastly, where do you get the recipes?

We are very seriously considering making Ali's food ourselves so that we can
buy only organic veggies and fruit etc..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :-D

thanx!

--
LES!

Daddie to Alegra Lee. May 25th 2003!
"Daddie's Little Diva"

before you reply to me via email, please remove your hat
YourHatDaddie at bonbon.net

Old August 6th 03, 10:48 PM
H Schinske

ourHat wrote:

Alegra is not ready for solids yet. In fact, the pediatrician said that she
will discuss with us the introduction of solids at our next visit (september
30th). 4 month visit.

What I am wanting to know is how many of you make your own baby food?

What kind of processor (blender etc) do you use?

If you follow the APP recommendations of waiting until six months, it is easier
to transition straight to table food. My philosophy is that if it needs to be
pureed, they aren't ready for it anyway :-) That said, there are little baby
food grinders you can use. I have also seen a couple of brands of organic baby
food, Earth's Best and so on.

My kids used barley cereal (the rice stuff was not a hit) as training food and
then moved on to applesauce, bananas, sweet potatoes, etc. You try one thing at
a time and wait several days to a week before introducing anything new, so you
can check for reactions. By the time you get through introducing a bunch of
foods, your baby is old enough to pick up bits of stuff anyway. We didn't ever
really "make baby food," we just didn't use store-bought jars :-). Well,
actually, with my son I did use jarred foods sometimes, for convenience, but
they weren't *necessary*, put it that way.

My daughters tore into solids from the get-go, but my son was lukewarm about
them until about nine months. He'd eat a spoonful here, a few Cheerios there,
that sort of thing. Eventually he developed an appetite for them, there was
nothing wrong. I did have his iron levels tested at 10 months or so and they
were fine, but as Alegra is on iron-fortified formula, you don't have to worry
about that.

--Helen
Old August 7th 03, 02:32 AM
Naomi Pardue

I know the AAP recommendation is 6 months for breastfed babies, but is it
the same for formula-fed babies?

So far as I know it is the same. Why wouldn't it be? (Formula isn't lacking in
any vitamin that would need to be provided by starting solids earlier.)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old August 7th 03, 03:50 AM
iphigenia

Naomi Pardue wrote:

So far as I know it is the same. Why wouldn't it be? (Formula isn't
lacking in any vitamin that would need to be provided by starting
solids earlier.)

I didn't say it shouldn't be; I looked on the AAP page and couldn't find any
information on the matter, so I *asked*. I wasn't trying to imply anything.
I was just wondering, because formula and breastmilk are not equal. For
example, it seems to be commonly held that rice cereal has some use to
formula-fed babies because it's iron-enriched, but it's not particularly
useful for breastfed babies.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old August 7th 03, 03:50 AM
iphigenia

Sue wrote:

Why would there be a difference? It is the same, fwiw.

I don't know, that's why I was *asking*, I wasn't implying that there should
or would be a difference. See my reply to Naomi...

Old August 7th 03, 08:50 AM
Herself

Ali's Daddie wrote:

Alegra is not ready for solids yet. In fact, the pediatrician said that she
will discuss with us the introduction of solids at our next visit (september
30th). 4 month visit.

Along with the others, I'd recommend waiting to 6 months. Food
allergies in babies *suck*, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

What I am wanting to know is how many of you make your own baby food?

We did...sorta :-).

What kind of processor (blender etc) do you use?

Our stick/hand blender has a chopper attachment...that worked great, but
half the time we just used the stick blender.

And lastly, where do you get the recipes?

I just thought about what I would like. We waited to give our son
solids til he was 1 year (breastfed exclusively), so he was ready for
all types when we started him. Chicken and apricots are a big favorite
still. There is a great UK cookbook that I think you can get on Amazon
by Annabel Karmel called The Baby and Toddler Meal Planner. A lot of
the later foods can be made for the whole family, and the babies' food
just gets smushed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :-D

Enjoy yourself, and don't stress if she doesn't like something, but
don't push either. It's a learning experience for her until she's a lot
older...oh, one thing we've noticed. Babies like social settings...so
if you both can sit at the table with her when she's eating (or all of
you have meals together) you're teaching her interaction as well as
keeping her interested.

Hey, any pics of the Diva? :-)
--
Meself
mom to P, 23/12/01
Old August 7th 03, 12:24 PM
Tracy

"Herself" wrote in message
Ali's Daddie wrote:

. We waited to give our son solids til he was 1 year (breastfed

exclusively),

Which leads me to why I have been lurking....
My son was started on small bits of rice at 4 months (He self weaned from
breast to formula at 7 months) and was eating pretty much anything. Now, at
9 months he hardly wants food. We had a bout of diarrhea at 8.5 months and
did 24 hrs on clear fluids. Right after that, he decided he only wanted to
eat one meal a day. I know nutritionally, this is fine, but I am concerned
about the sudden change. His ped isn't. Thoughts?

--
Tracy

'Time is fleeting, Madness takes its toll'
Time Warp - Rocky Horror Picture Show

Old August 7th 03, 01:30 PM
Sue

Well a ff baby digestive system is just as immature as a bf baby so in that
respect there is no difference. FF babies also need to have the tongue
thrust gone and the other usual signs you look for in a bf baby to start
solids. Formula does have all kinds of vitamins added, so a ff baby wouldn't
be depleted in any way. And iron *can* be important for a bf baby in that
iron stores do happen to start deplete after six months in a bf babies.
Granted, not all babies have a problem with iron, which is why I always say
get a poke to find out.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

Old August 7th 03, 01:48 PM
Herself

Tracy wrote:

Which leads me to why I have been lurking....
My son was started on small bits of rice at 4 months (He self weaned from
breast to formula at 7 months) and was eating pretty much anything. Now, at
9 months he hardly wants food. We had a bout of diarrhea at 8.5 months and
did 24 hrs on clear fluids. Right after that, he decided he only wanted to
eat one meal a day. I know nutritionally, this is fine, but I am concerned
about the sudden change. His ped isn't. Thoughts?

Sometimes kids go off food for a little bit...just like sometimes they
will only eat one type of food. How long has he only wanted liquids?
(if he only wants liquids, I'm just guessing).

--
Meself
mom to P, 23/12/01