things for new baby list

Old January 28th 04, 02:40 PM
LeAnn

Default things for new baby list

Can someone direct me to a website that has a list of everything a new
mother would need for a baby? Also a list of things to take to the hospital
would be helpful also! Thank you!

LeAnn
32 weeks

Old January 28th 04, 03:34 PM
Naomi Rivkis

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 08:40:06 -0600, "LeAnn" wrote:

Can someone direct me to a website that has a list of everything a new
mother would need for a baby? Also a list of things to take to the hospital
would be helpful also! Thank you!

www.babycenter.com has some good lists of that sort.

Naomi
Old January 28th 04, 03:47 PM
Kat

"LeAnn" wrote in message
Can someone direct me to a website that has a list of everything a new
mother would need for a baby? Also a list of things to take to the

hospital
would be helpful also! Thank you!

LeAnn
32 weeks

I know Dr. Sears has good lists in his book, maybe check out his website?
Kat
Mama to Maggie 11/03/01
and #2 EDD 02/01/04

Old January 28th 04, 05:25 PM
melizabeth

I was going to mention his book because I was recently perusing it. You beat
me to it.

--
M~Elizabeth

To thine own self be true

Old January 28th 04, 06:12 PM
melizabeth

I am having a heck of a time finding a website with a checklist for a
layette, nursery items, and what families should take to a hospital for the
birth.

--
M~Elizabeth

To thine own self be true

Old January 28th 04, 09:42 PM
melizabeth

I thank you! I'm sure the OP will too.

--
M~Elizabeth

To thine own self be true
wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 18:12:48 +0000 (UTC), in
misc.kids.pregnancy "melizabeth"
wrote:

:I am having a heck of a time finding a website with a checklist for a
:layette, nursery items, and what families should take to a hospital for

the
:birth.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...cklist&spell=1

Well here are some layette checklists.. of course women
living in poverty in third world countries don't need any of
this stuff.

Furniture

Crib - with a firm mattress
Changing Table
Stroller
Infant Carseat
Dresser or Bureau
Rocking Chair
Infant Swing
Playpen

------

CLOTHING

8 Receiving Blankets
6 Onsies
4 Footed Sleepers (Terri cloth)
3 Lightweight Night Gowns
2 Blanket Sleepers
2 Hats
4 Booties or Socks
4 Rompers (Long Sleeved)
1 Sweater
6 Undershirts
4 Bibs
1 Snowsuit or Bunting
1 Dozen Cloth Diapers (Burp cloths)
2 or more newborn size Pacifiers

------

FEEDING

Bottle-Feeding

6 4oz. Bottles
6 Nipples
1 Bottle Brush
Breastfeeding

1 Breast Pump (Manual or Electric)
4 4oz. Bottles
4 4oz. Nipples

------

Diapering

3 Dozen Cloth Diapers
4-6 Diaper Pins or Clips
3 Waterproof Diaper Covers

or
3 Dozen Disposable Diapers
1 Diaper Bag
1 Diaper Rash Cream or Ointment
Baby Wipes
1 Diaper Pail with Tight Cover

------

Bedding

1 Waterproof Mattress Cover
1 Bumper Pad Set with top and bottom ties
3 Fitted Crib Sheets
2 Lightweight Blankets
1 Mobile

Robyn's Nest Recommends-Top Picks

4-piece Nursery Bedding Set - John Lennon Collection
By Mount Vernon Mills Inc.

------

Bathing

1 Baby Bath Tub
2 Hooded Towels
2 Wash Cloths
1 Baby Shampoo
1 Comb and Brush Set
1 Nail Clipper or Scissors

------

Health & Baby Care

1 Thermometer (rectal or thermoscan)
1 Box Q-Tips
1 Pack Cotton Balls
1 Bottle Rubbing Alcohol (for umbilical cord care)
1 Nasal Aspirator
1 Petroleum Jelly
1 Infant Acetaminophen

Layette Checklist
Baby on the way? Here's what you'll need to keep her warm
and comfortable.

6 onesies (undershirts that snap at the crotch)

2 side-snap or side-tie shirts (until umbilical cord
separates)

6 stretchies or coveralls that cover your baby from neck to
feet and have snaps (stretchies in heavier material are good
for sleeping)

4 sleep gowns with cotton mittens (to prevent your baby
from scratching her face)

1 sleepsack for cold weather

6 pairs of socks

1 snowsuit or bunting (for winter babies)

4 receiving blankets (to lay the baby down on and wrap her
up in)

2 heavier blankets (if you live in a cooler climate)

3 hooded towel/washcloth sets

12 cloth diapers (for burping the baby)

4 bibs

1 outdoor wide-brimmed sun hat

1 pair outdoor mittens (for winter babies)

1 cap

1 sweater

For Crib:

2 quilted mattress pads

2 waterproof liners (not needed if the mattress pads are
waterproof)

3-4 fitted crib sheets

1 bumper pad

Old January 28th 04, 11:20 PM
Leanne

Can someone direct me to a website that has a list of everything a new
mother would need for a baby? Also a list of things to take to the

hospital
would be helpful also! Thank you!

I dont know how useful this would be to you, but here it is

http://www.target.com.au/img/babytarget/essentlist.pdf

Old January 29th 04, 03:58 PM
P Harris

"LeAnn" wrote in message ...
Can someone direct me to a website that has a list of everything a new
mother would need for a baby? Also a list of things to take to the hospital
would be helpful also! Thank you!

If I may piggyback a question of my own onto this, what items do y'all
consider genuinely NECESSARY (as opposed to "things that stores like
to sell you and many people like to own but life can go on perfectly
happily without them")? For minimalist, non-wildly-consumerist parents
:-)

At the moment I am guessing the list would go something like:

-car seat
-crib w/mattress
-baby carrier or sling or infant-compatible stroller or some such
thing(s)
-several recieving blankets
-several sheets for crib
-a few days' worth of clothes (how many is that?)
-diapering stuff (e.g. diapers, a couple covers, diaper pail)
-somewhere safe to change the baby (I am thinking maybe adding
a rim and pad to a secondhand dresser or chest of
drawers or such?)

(If it matters, I expect to breastfeed, and figure we can at least
*try* bathing the baby in a sink or dishtub padded with towels, though
opinions are welcome. I figure we will probably also eventually want a
playpen and high chair, but don't need them right away of course).

What else?

Thanks,

Pat
due in late July
Old January 29th 04, 05:36 PM
Circe

P Harris wrote:
If I may piggyback a question of my own onto this, what items do y'all
consider genuinely NECESSARY (as opposed to "things that stores like
to sell you and many people like to own but life can go on perfectly
happily without them")? For minimalist, non-wildly-consumerist parents
:-)

At the moment I am guessing the list would go something like:

-car seat
-crib w/mattress

Not really necessary; you can always co-sleep if you're really minimalist
(presuming you'd like it and can do so safely, of course!)

-baby carrier or sling or infant-compatible stroller or some such
thing(s)
-several recieving blankets
-several sheets for crib

Again, only needed if you have the crib.

-a few days' worth of clothes (how many is that?)

I would say if you plan to launder every 3 days, you should have twice to
three times that many sleepers (depending on whether you'll dress the baby
the same night and day or not), underthings (I recommend onesies), and
perhaps 3-4 daytime outfits (if you won't use sleepers 24/7). That's about
all my babies ever wore from birth to around 6 months of age, although I
liked to launder weekly, so I had about of dozen of each item to allow for
diaper blow-outs, spit-ups, etc.

-diapering stuff (e.g. diapers, a couple covers, diaper pail)

Wipes (homemade or store bought)

-somewhere safe to change the baby (I am thinking maybe adding
a rim and pad to a secondhand dresser or chest of
drawers or such?)

The top of the bed or the floor are perfectly safe places to do diaper
changes, provided your back can handle the stress. I happen to like changing
tables, myself, but plenty of people do without.

What else?

You'll almost certainly need some cloth diapers to use as spit rags. Sounds
like you're planning on cloth anyway, so that shouldn't be a problem, but I
thought I'd mention it. I'd probably invest in 3 spit bibs, too, in case
your baby turns out to be a spitter/drooler. If not, 3 isn't so many that
you'll feel you wasted your money completely but if you had 0, you might
regret it when you didn't have anything to use and wound up changing the
baby 5 times in a single day.

I may be in the minority here, but I think baby washcloths are really a
*necessity* for bathing a newborn--regular adult sized washcloths are just
too big and cover the entire baby, not just the area you want to wash! Adult
sized towels are fine, though--no need to get the baby towels, IMO.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [22 mos.] mom)

Financing for "5" years -- car dealership sign

Mommy: I call you "baby" because I love you.
Julian (age 4): Oh! All right, Mommy baby.

Old January 29th 04, 06:40 PM
Larry McMahan

P Harris writes:

: At the moment I am guessing the list would go something like:

: -car seat

Yep. Can't live without it.

: -crib w/mattress

As Barbara said, you can do quite well without this if you plan to
co-sleep. And many mothers who breastfeed find co-sleeping easier.
Scooting your boob over to the baby is a lot easier than getting up!

: -baby carrier or sling or infant-compatible stroller or some such
: thing(s)

The sling's the thing. We actually found two slings eventually
useful. A simple folded cloth sling for when the baby was small,
and a ring sling for when it was old enough to hold its head up.

: -several recieving blankets

3 or 4.

: -several sheets for crib

Only if you get a crib.

: -a few days' worth of clothes (how many is that?)

How often do you plan to run a load of laundry. Do you plan to
use cloth diapers? Are you going to launder baby's stuff with
yours? These will all determine how much you need. I would say
4 to 6 sleepers and another half dozen shirts and pants sets.
And if your launder your own diapers, I would think you will want
to run a load every other day at least.

: -diapering stuff (e.g. diapers, a couple covers, diaper pail)

We actually used a diaper service for the first two months, then
bought a couple dozen diapers from them when we terminated the
service. You will want diaper wraps. Probably 8 to 12. To
keep the baby from pulling the velcro loose, we used them with
pants or onesies. Oh, did I say you need 4 to 6 onesies. :-)

: -somewhere safe to change the baby (I am thinking maybe adding
: a rim and pad to a secondhand dresser or chest of
: drawers or such?)

We got a changing table at a thrift store. It was great.

: (If it matters, I expect to breastfeed, and figure we can at least
: *try* bathing the baby in a sink or dishtub padded with towels, though
: opinions are welcome. I figure we will probably also eventually want a
: playpen and high chair, but don't need them right away of course).

Bathing: We never "bathed" Clara until she was two. One of us would
hold her in the shower and the other would wash her. With Niel, he
loved the bathtub so we could get in the bath and rest him between our
legs. We never bought anything to bathe them in.

We never had a use for a playpen either, although we always threatened to
get one at Christmas to put the tree in!

: What else?

Stock up on hugs, babies need lots of hugs! :-)
: Thanks,

: Pat
: due in late July

Good luck,
Larry

Unconsolable infant dkc General 18 May 25th 04 11:02 PM
Baby Product Reviews chaching Pregnancy 16 December 30th 03 05:20 PM
Question about sling/attachment parenting (long, sorry) Vijay Pregnancy 23 November 11th 03 08:12 AM
31+ weeks ob/gyn appt & update (long) Elly Pregnancy 6 August 14th 03 06:15 PM
List Hosts' Name on Baby Shower Invitation?? GarciaGM Pregnancy 3 July 17th 03 05:29 PM