Update.... ART meeting this morning

Old October 26th 04, 09:33 PM
slykitten

Default Update.... ART meeting this morning

wow! I tell ya what.... amazing what can get accomplished in only a mere 15
minutes!!! I arrived at the administration building for the schools....
there was a woman there who was also present for the staffing after the
re-eval for my son's IEP. I'm gonna focus for a very brief moment on this
particular person just for the heck of it.... and so you get a little idea
as to what I'm dealing with when it comes to the schools....
This woman heads up the "Child Find" team. This is a team of specialized
teachers and therapists who evaluate the kids in order to determine whether
an IEP is necessary. It may be called something else in different areas. So
this woman, who heads up the Special Ed department for our quadrant (NW
Dnver area) sat there this morning insisting that I agreed with *everything*
at the staffing. I clearly stated that at the staffing, I indicated
vehemently that I wanted my son in a self contained class program. She
insisted that my son did not need that kind of restrictive environment!
uh.... This is a kid who threatened to kill me and his sisters. This is a
kid who spent time.... twice.... in the hospital AND in a day treatment
program! oh yeah... he doesn't need a specialized program... no, not him
note the scathing sarcasm.... So she decided to argue with me for about 5
minutes, I stood my ground and then said, "this is the end of the
discussion. Stop wasting my time. Let's move on!"
So, basically, the district ended up finally doing what I've been fighting
for.... They put my son into a special school with a specialized program,
necessary for him to be successful in school.... and hopefully in life! So
he'll be bussed to his new school in a couple of weeks. This is actually a
huge breakthrough! We've jumped through enough bureaucratic red tape to last
3 lifetimes! Unfortunately, this isn't the last of it! For now, I'll simply
be thankful for what we accomplished this morning. =) Thank you for
responding! It's helped tremendously!!

--
"Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."

Old October 27th 04, 12:15 AM
CME

"slykitten" wrote in message
[...]

I'm glad to see you stood your ground! What good news, I hope things become
more positive from here on out.

Christine

Old October 27th 04, 06:05 PM
Karen O'Mara

"slykitten" wrote in message ...
[...]

Dang, I want you on my side! You're spunky!..

congrats on your achievement there.

Karen