this couldn't be the baby moving, could it? or what?

Old January 16th 04, 04:45 PM
P Harris

Default this couldn't be the baby moving, could it? or what?

I am kinda embarrassed to call up my midwives and ask them this :-P,
and more to the point their regular office hrs are over til next week
anyhow, so can I ask this here please?

I am about 13.5 wks since lmp, and for the past week or ten days,
almost every night I wake up in the wee hrs of the morning with this
really weird twitchy vibrate-y thumpy feeling low in my belly, in the
region of my uterus. It isn't just one or two flutters; it feels like
a mouse is tap-dancing in there. Sometimes the feeling sort of
'echoes' down thru my vagina or rectum. The twitches/thumps go on for
a long time (often I fall back asleep while they're still going on),
sort of vaguely in a fast rhythmic pattern but not really (if that
makes any sense :-P). The feelings are most obvious when I am lying on
my stomach or back (less strong when I'm on my side), and when I
change position things quiet down for a few minutes then starts up
again.

(If it's relevant, I have been measuring large for dates and my
bellybutton is already starting to 'shallow out', but given my BBT
records that seem to show an completely typical ovulation 2wks before
my positive hpt (and I had a neg hpt the month before), I just
*cannot* believe my dates are wrong.)

I have never felt anything at all like this, so I am pretty positive
it is not just gas. But it is making me NUTS being kept awake by this
at 3 a.m. and not knowing what it is. I slightly worry that it is some
sort of weird uterine cramps and something bad is going to happen,
except that frankly everything *seems* fine, and I have never had
menstrual cramps that feel ANYthing like this, and besides we just
heard the baby's heartbeat for the first time at my 12wk appointment
and I just feel like everything is going to be ok crossed fingers.

Any thoughts? What the heck is this?

Pat
Old January 16th 04, 08:03 PM
Amy

Is it your first baby? If it is it would be unusual to feel it this early,
but what you're describing sounds like fetal movement to me. LOL your baby
probably is about the size of a small mouse and probably is tap-dancing.
I felt twitches and rolls at 13 weeks, and now at nearly 15 weeks haven't
felt anything significant in the last week and a half, so it could be that
right now your baby is just in a very good position for you to feel the
movement. I think mine was, and then moved.
It could be gas, it could be muscular, but I can tell the difference between
these now, so chances are you probably can too. I doubt it's anything bad,
you can get painless, harmless uterine contractions after sex, but labour
contractions _hurt_, at least to begin with as a back-ache - you would
probably know.
You say your belly button is shallowing out, if you're a smaller person who
shows earlier, you might be feeling kicks a bit earlier than usual, because
there's less, ummm....insulation between your uterus and your tummy than
there is say between mine ;-)
Mention it at your next app.

om...

Old January 16th 04, 08:30 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Amy wrote:

Is it your first baby? If it is it would be unusual to feel it this early,
but what you're describing sounds like fetal movement to me. LOL your baby

That's sorta what it felt like to me around 12.5 weeks when *I* started
feeling my baby... and yeah... it's my first too.

I don't think it's unusual, some people just happen to have the right
combination of factors. (Placenta placement, active tot, notice body
changes, etc.)

Old January 16th 04, 11:46 PM
Angela Schepers

I'm pg with my first and started feeling him wiggle around 13 weeks. My
doctor tried to convince me that it was just gas but the bigger he grew
the more noticable it got but then again my munchkin is constantly in
motion it feels like.. But you've got it right, that's basically what
it feels like so I wouldn't doubt at all that you're actually feeling
the baby.

Angela
EDD #1 5/13/04
It's a boy!!

Old January 20th 04, 05:33 PM
KatoKirk

I sometimes get these feelings while I am sitting down and I sneeze. They feel
funny.
Kirsten
7 or 8 dpo
TTC#1 for 5 years