c-section fears

Old June 5th 04, 07:01 AM
Lindsay

Default c-section fears

I don't see why they can't try to turn her!

I had an emergency c-section in March. A c-section was something I
feared because my baby was estimated to be large (he ended up 12lbs
4oz!). I was induced at 41weeks because I began having protein in my
urine and had a labour and 2 hours of pushing before it was decided
the "little" guy wasn't coming. At that point I just felt relief that
I would be free from pain. My hubs was scared stiff.

It all turned out fine. We had him with us the whole time and I was
holding him and breastfeeding after the spinal wore off. My milk came
in on day four and using a pillow when holding him stopped any
potential hurt.

I hear that in the US (if that's where you are) they have nurseries in
hospital. In the UK babies are with their mothers the whole time and
it's possible to have this after a c-section. I just rang for the
midwives when he needed changing or lifting to me for feeding if I
didn't have hold of him already.

You'll just be more tired and stiff that's all. Though saying that, on
my ward there was a woman who'd had a ventouse delivery and she seemed
in more pain than the three of us who'd had sections. All with no
problems and breastfeeding well.

What are your specific fears? Maybe we can allay them.

Lindsay
Little Dude 24th March 2004

(tigger) wrote in message . com...
I posted a couple of weeks ago about cloth diapers and got some great
advice. We decided to go with Chinese prefolds and whisper wrap
covers. Now I'm hoping for some more advice and reassurance.

We went to our 38-week appointment on Tuesday and they did an
ultrasound to check the weight since I've been measuring ahead for the
entire pregnancy. The ultrasound tech. confirmed (again) that it was a
girl and estimated her weight at 9 lbs! Our OB/GYN had been concerned
that she'd be a small baby because of all of my hyperemesis
gravardium...until my 37 week appointment when she decided to check
with the ultrasound. From what they could tell, she's healthy and BIG!

The bad part is that the baby decided to turn on Monday (at least we
think it was on Monday cause you could see her going crazy in
there!)so she's now in a breech position. Our OB/GYN is shocked that
she flipped because she's so big and "that's not supposed to happen at
this point." Because of her size and how far along I am, they won't do
a version and have scheduled me for a c-section this on Monday.

This isn't something we'd even considered before (unless, of course,
it was necessary because of problems in labor) and I'm completely
freaking out. All I can think of are the problems that are associated
with c-sections. I trust her decision that this is the best ting for
the baby, but I'm still worried. I'm hoping that someone out there
has something reassuring that they can tell me?

-Lesley

Old June 5th 04, 03:20 PM
Jill

"tigger" wrote ) and I'm completely
freaking out. All I can think of are the problems that are associated
with c-sections. I trust her decision that this is the best ting for
the baby, but I'm still worried. I'm hoping that someone out there
has something reassuring that they can tell me?

-Lesley

I was completely freaked out when the midwife called the OB into my labor
with a whole team of people to prep me for a c-section. Thankgod that the ob
was able to deliver my baby vaginally, I have NEVER been so relieved. I was
terrified.

But I can tell you I know a LOT, a LOT..of people who have c-sections and
for most of them everything is just fine and they are not too uncomfortable
etc. A lot of them probably have less pain than I had, by the time they
ripped and cut through my perineak muscles etc...I was very sore and had
feelings like sharp bee stings for weeks. They just had to be careful of
their abdomen until it healed. The people I know who had c-sections were
okay and wouldn't be as scared to have another one. Everything was ok. I
hope this comforts you-- most of them (I know over 15 people locally who
have had them) were scared, but most of them will tell me it was not that
bad at all, and some of them even tell me it was an ok experience.

Jill

Old June 6th 04, 12:11 AM
Nan

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 16:07:02 -0400, "Sophie"
wrote:

I always send my babies to the nursery for my last night in the hospital.
It'll be my last night of sleep for years - lol.

I did the same with A this time. I planned to keep her with me, as I
was feeling pretty good, then I thought, "I must be nuts to pass up
some decent sleep". They'd bring her to me for nursing, but it was
nice to be able to actually sleeeeep, lol.

Nan

Old June 6th 04, 02:30 AM
Jill

"Sophie" wrote
I always send my babies to the nursery for my last night in the hospital.
It'll be my last night of sleep for years - lol.

I did this both nights I was in-- I felt SOOO guilty and awful, but I needed
sleep sooo bad and I knew it was my last chance.

Looking back I wouldn't have bothered. Rachel was in the nursery away from
Mommy and the nurses STILL came in and woke me up every hour or two to take
my temperature and check my stitches etc. Oh well, Rachel sleeps good now--
as long as she;s in bed with me. (I know- bad! It will take years to get her
to sleep in her bed, if we let this continue when she's old enough to know
it)...

Jill

Old June 6th 04, 05:30 AM

Nan wrote in message . ..

It's most common to have the baby in your room in the US, also.
The 'nursery' is typically a hold-over from when babies used to be
kept in the nursery, several years ago.
Renovating and doing away with the room is too costly, I guess.

They are also used to transition babies from NICU. DS was in NICU for
6 days, then taken off the heart monitors and O2 sats and moved into
the standard nursery for a day for continued observation and a little
more phototherapy.

--
C, mama to nineteen month old nursling
Old June 6th 04, 09:44 PM
Coccinella

Alexandra wasn't breech but she was estimated the same size as your baby. I
had a scheduled c-section and it was absolutely wonderful. I didn't feel a
thing and I got the pain medication when I needed it. In 10 days I could
already drive around and I was going up and down the stairs with no
problems. BTW Alexandra was 8 lb 15 oz at birth right on target (u/s
estimate was 9 lb).
Think how wonderful that tomorrow you are going to hold your wonderful
baby!! I am so happy for you!
Cannot wait to read your birth story.

Love
--
Nicky

Proud mamma to Alexandra (03/22/2004)

Old June 7th 04, 06:19 AM
Emily

Default CTTS, Was: c-section fears

Jill wrote:
Looking back I wouldn't have bothered. Rachel was in the nursery away from
Mommy and the nurses STILL came in and woke me up every hour or two to take
my temperature and check my stitches etc. Oh well, Rachel sleeps good now--
as long as she;s in bed with me. (I know- bad! It will take years to get her
to sleep in her bed, if we let this continue when she's old enough to know
it)...

It's not "bad" if you all enjoy it. DS starts the night in
his own bed, but always comes over to ours by 4am at the latest.
The other morning his first words on waking up (looking right
into my face) were "I love you so much!". Hard to top that as
a way to start the day!

--
Emily
mom to Toby 5/1/02

Cesarean Section Booklet Jodi Pregnancy 2 April 16th 04 06:23 PM
Fears of Smothering While Co Sleeping Carol Ann Pregnancy 21 April 14th 04 05:23 PM
stats deja blues General 10 October 10th 03 06:55 PM
Hi all..introduction, questions, fears (misc. mentioned) Nancy Verzich Pregnancy 6 September 19th 03 08:16 PM
DRUGS-INDUCED/DRUGS CAN WORSEN RLS/PLMD: CAUTION! RLS/PLMD patients taking a medication prescribed by their qualified healthcare provider in this Section should not abruptly stop it. They should consult their qualified healthcare provider first. [email protected] Pregnancy 0 July 16th 03 05:58 AM