Babies getting bigger each time

Old August 21st 03, 04:18 PM
Shunaari

Default Babies getting bigger each time

I had a c-section for my first baby beacause my son was too big for me
to deliver. When I went for my 6 week posnatal check up, I asked the
consultant what was the likelihood of me having another c-section. He
said that the chance was very high because the more babies I have the
bigger thay get.

Is that true?

I have never heard this before. My son was 8lb 4oz and I am just 5
feet tall. He said that a lady of my height will not be able to
deliver vaginally a baby of that weight. For some reason I feel like
the consultant just wanted to get rid of me.

I dont want another ceasearean again and wish I could deliver
vaginally again but living in the UK - seems like I will get no help
from the doctors in our hospitals.....
Old August 21st 03, 05:31 PM
The Huwe Family

All I can tell you is that my older brother was the biggest of all three of
the kids. I was the 2nd born, and the smallest.

Gayle

om...

Old August 21st 03, 08:49 PM
Chotii

"Shunaari" wrote in message
om...
I had a c-section for my first baby beacause my son was too big for me
to deliver. When I went for my 6 week posnatal check up, I asked the
consultant what was the likelihood of me having another c-section. He
said that the chance was very high because the more babies I have the
bigger thay get.

Is that true?

I have never heard this before. My son was 8lb 4oz and I am just 5
feet tall. He said that a lady of my height will not be able to
deliver vaginally a baby of that weight. For some reason I feel like
the consultant just wanted to get rid of me.

I dont want another ceasearean again and wish I could deliver
vaginally again but living in the UK - seems like I will get no help
from the doctors in our hospitals.....

As for the 'babies always get bigger' and 'you can't deliver a baby that
size'....

hogwash. My mother is 4'11" and had 4 babies, all vaginally. My youngest
brother, who admittedly was the largest, was nearly 10 lbs, and she had him
lying flat on her back with her knees in the air, as was the 'fashion' 30
years ago.

I just gave birth to a 7 lb 14 oz baby vaginally after 2 c/s (the first for
'CPD' - "baby too big" (actually she was just in a bad position; otherwise
she might well have come out, and she weighed 7 lbs 13 oz)).

The important things are, how big your pelvic opening is, whether you're in
a position that allows for maximum pelvic opening (not flat on your back or
semisitting), the size of baby's head, and the position of baby's head. You
can at least try to manage baby's position - it's part of the battle. But I
can't help you with fighting the system.

--angela

Old August 21st 03, 09:36 PM
Kereru

"Shunaari" wrote in message
om...
I had a c-section for my first baby beacause my son was too big for me
to deliver. When I went for my 6 week posnatal check up, I asked the
consultant what was the likelihood of me having another c-section. He
said that the chance was very high because the more babies I have the
bigger thay get.

Is that true?

No my mother and the three friends I have who have just had babies ALL had
smaller babies the second time around.

I have never heard this before. My son was 8lb 4oz and I am just 5
feet tall. He said that a lady of my height will not be able to
deliver vaginally a baby of that weight. For some reason I feel like
the consultant just wanted to get rid of me.

My mother at just under 5 feet tall gave birth to me 9lb 3oz nad my sister
8lb 12oz.

I dont want another ceasearean again and wish I could deliver
vaginally again but living in the UK - seems like I will get no help
from the doctors in our hospitals.....

Sorry I can't offer much advice here. Do you have the option of going
private?

Judy

Old August 22nd 03, 12:04 AM
Taniwha grrrl

"Shunaari" wrote in message

I had a c-section for my first baby beacause my son was

too big for me
to deliver. When I went for my 6 week posnatal check up, I

asked the
consultant what was the likelihood of me having another

c-section. He
said that the chance was very high because the more babies

I have the
bigger thay get.

Is that true?

No it's not.
Having given birth to 8 singleton babies weighing between
9lb 2oz at smallest and over 11lb at biggest, then 4 weeks
ago having a c/section for an 8lb 11oz baby due to
obstructed labour I can tell you baby size has very little
to do with it. The babies position and angle it enters the
pelvis is much more important in being 'able' to give birth
vaginally.
A baby entering the pelvis, regardless of weight,
anteriorally with a nice flexed head will have a head
diameter of about 9.5cm's, it will fit through your pelvis
neatly like an egg in an egg cup. Your pelvis will give and
move and open, the babies head will mould, it's sutures
overlap and it's fat will squish and it will be born fine.
A baby entering your pelvis posteriorly or laterally with a
deflexed head will have a head diameter of 11.5cm's or more.
It doesn't fit the pelvis well, doesn't assist the ligiments
and pelvic bones to give and stretch open, which in turn
don't assist the head to mould and flex, as it's like an egg
sitting sideways in an egg cup. These babies aren't
impossible to birth, many womyn give birth to posterior even
face and brow presenting babies vaginally, but if you don't
have a large pelvis to start with, or one that's not quite
fully gynecoid, you may encounter problems such as deep
transverse arrest which I did.
I recomend reading some books on OFP (optimal foetal
positioning) to find out more on this if your interested.
Pauline Scott has a new one out called 'Sit up and take
notice; positioning yourself for a better birth' and is
available through ICAN http://www.ican-online.org/

I have never heard this before. My son was 8lb 4oz and I

am just 5
feet tall. He said that a lady of my height will not be

able to
deliver vaginally a baby of that weight. For some reason I

feel like
the consultant just wanted to get rid of me.

Make the first move and get rid of him, he sounds
incompetent and dangerous.

I dont want another ceasearean again and wish I could

deliver
vaginally again but living in the UK - seems like I will

get no help
from the doctors in our hospitals.....

If you can afford to change to an IM. You might want to join
the yahoo list ukmidwifery and discuss your situation there.
I'm sure you'll get lots of rec's for a new caregiver and
support for a VBAC.

--
Andrea

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a
horrible warning.

Old August 22nd 03, 12:57 AM
Mary

Shunaari wrote:

I have never heard this before. My son was 8lb 4oz and I am just 5
feet tall. He said that a lady of my height will not be able to
deliver vaginally a baby of that weight. For some reason I feel like
the consultant just wanted to get rid of me.

I agree. One of my mkp due-date buddies is 5'0 and gave birth to an
almost 9-pounder, in a freestanding birth center with no drugs, and had
a fairly easy labor and delivery, no complications at all.

Are there any OBs or midwives in your area who are experienced with
VBACs? Someone here will have the website for the ICAN network; it's a
c-section support group with tons of resources and information for you.
Definitely check them out, and good luck!

Mary S.
mom to the Sproutkin, 17 months

Old August 22nd 03, 01:44 AM
Mary Gordon

I hope to goodness he didn't decide you couldn't have a vaginal birth
until you'd been through unsuccessful labour and pushing.

I was told my first was "too big" as the reason for my 30 plus first
labour ending in a section, but it was junk. It was an impatient
doctor who should have sent me home to get some rest rather than
continue trying to push something that just wasn't ready to happen.
Second baby was a similar size, and third was the biggest, and they
were both successful VBACs.

9 11.5 ounces
9 lb 8 ounces
10 lb 4 ounces

Mary G.
Old August 22nd 03, 07:11 PM
Larry McMahan

Shunaari writes:
: I had a c-section for my first baby beacause my son was too big for me
: to deliver.

This is a common myth but really untrue. If your doctor told you this
he was lying or incompotent. :-( You obviously hven't been reading
enough Todd Gestaldo posts! :-)

: to deliver. When I went for my 6 week posnatal check up, I asked the
: consultant what was the likelihood of me having another c-section. He
: said that the chance was very high because the more babies I have the
: bigger thay get.

If your current OB sectioned your for an 8 1/2 baby, it is not likely
that he is going to be interested in doing a VBAC. Your best chances
for a vaginal birth are to find a different caregiver.

: Is that true?

Obviously not!

: I have never heard this before. My son was 8lb 4oz and I am just 5
: feet tall. He said that a lady of my height will not be able to
: deliver vaginally a baby of that weight. For some reason I feel like
: the consultant just wanted to get rid of me.

This is absolutely untrue. What is MUCH MORE significant in determining
whether you can birth a baby of that weight is what position you birth
in. If you try to birth lying flat on your back, it closes the birth
canal up to 30% over other positions. The absolute easiest position to
open up are all fours, squatting, or standing squat. Side lying is also
usually quite adequate. "The consultant" and your previous OB are
simply have given you bad advice because it is in their economic interest.

: I dont want another ceasearean again and wish I could deliver
: vaginally again but living in the UK - seems like I will get no help
: from the doctors in our hospitals.....

You are getting smart. They do not have your best interests at heart.
I think the first thing I would suggest is to
contact a local chapter of ICAN (International Cesearian Awareness
Network) to locate a VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesarian) friendly
care giver.

Since you are a previous cesearian, the one thing you must avoid to
have a safe vaginal birth for your next baby is induction or augmentation.
These have been found to be the primary cause of uterine rupture for
subsequent vaginal birth. Avoid these, and your risks are no worse than
any first time vaginal birther.

If you have further questions, post to this newsgroup.

Good luck,
Larry