"teaching your baby to read"

Old December 29th 03, 07:19 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Default "teaching your baby to read"

Anyone read this book by Dr.'s Doman? My DH was taught using this method
as a child and was reading everything in the house by age 3. They
couldn't stop him or nearly keep up with his appetite for books! He's
the same way today and re-reads books if he runs out of new ones. He
graduated high school at 16 despite having dysgraphia.

My IL's gave us the updated book plus the one for math, and after
reading the first one I am hooked. I think this method will be a really
fun way to bond with baby, and will give him a good start in life. I'm
definitely doing it!

The url for the site is http://www.iahp.org

Old December 29th 03, 07:40 PM
A&G&K

"Shena Delian O'Brien" wrote in message
Anyone read this book by Dr.'s Doman? My DH was taught using this method
as a child and was reading everything in the house by age 3. They
couldn't stop him or nearly keep up with his appetite for books! He's
the same way today and re-reads books if he runs out of new ones. He
graduated high school at 16 despite having dysgraphia.

My IL's gave us the updated book plus the one for math, and after
reading the first one I am hooked. I think this method will be a really
fun way to bond with baby, and will give him a good start in life. I'm
definitely doing it!

The url for the site is http://www.iahp.org

We've got it, but I haven't read it. DH is keen on it as his little brother
(11 years his junior) was taught using this method. DBIL is very
intelligent and does read a lot, but not more or less than DH who wasn't
taught using the Doman method.
I have been reading the book on the topic by Mem Fox (can't think of the
title exactly at the moment). She contends that simply reading at least 3
books to your child every day (starting before birth) will help them to
catch the reading bug and learn to recognise words and phrases from a very
early stage in life.
I think that reading books yourself and setting an example also helps.
DD is 16 mo and brings her favourite books to me to read to her at every
given opportunity. She "reads" them to herself throughout the day.... 'Five
little ducks" usually just goes "duck quack quack quack duck back" but
she does enjoy it.

Enjoy - teaching your child to read.
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old December 29th 03, 08:32 PM
Jill

That sounds very interesting! When I think of going back to work after
having my baby, I am always reminded of what I will miss by doing so and it
makes it really easy to "give up" a career for myself, just by thinking of
what I can do with my daughter by staying home, that I won't ahve time to do
if I work.

I really look forward especially, to sharing the experience of reading and
learning with my child. I'm not going to home school but I am going to take
advantage of the first 5 years of her life by sharing everything I can with
her. Also just having fun. I really look forward to being a really hands-on
mom!

Thanks for posting about this, I am going to check this method out...

Old January 1st 04, 02:01 AM
Shena Delian O'Brien

H Schinske wrote:

If you look on Google Groups for "doman baby" (in quotation marks) and "donna"
you will find some reasons you might not want to give the Domans any money --
they're quacks who have done a lot of harm over the years.

I haven't found any evidence of this doing the searches you mentioned,
or searches derived from what you mentioned. I have read people saying
they couldn't keep up with the methods, or that their children were too
bored to continue the programs, but I can't find anything else negative
about their programs.

doesn't have to be by Doman methods particularly. You can do immense harm
trying to force a child into something s/he is not ready for, but that is
another matter and I am sure you would not do that.

I seriously doubt that showing a kid flashcards is going to irreparably
harm them. If they aren't interested they won't pay attention. There's
no forcing involved. Did you think I would strap them down and hold
their eyes open or something?

Old January 1st 04, 03:35 PM
Sue

Shena Delian O'Brien wrote in message
I seriously doubt that showing a kid flashcards is going to irreparably
harm them. If they aren't interested they won't pay attention. There's
no forcing involved. Did you think I would strap them down and hold
their eyes open or something?

Oh you would be surprised at what lengths people go to, to have a smarter,
brighter child. It's all the rage now. Having an average child is not enough
anymore.

Just reading everyday to your child will be enough. Don't worry about trying
to teach it to read.

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old January 1st 04, 03:56 PM
Lizajane

I seriously doubt that showing a kid flashcards is going to irreparably
harm them. If they aren't interested they won't pay attention. There's
no forcing involved. Did you think I would strap them down and hold
their eyes open or something?

Please take this with a grain of salt because I only have a 7.5 month
old, but I think that many children feel pressure to succeed very
early. My husband and I have decided that the best way to teach DS to
read is to simply read to him every day. I read very early, much to
the shock of my parents, and they decided that it was because my
father read to me and pointed at the words. It was not even
intentional! Now, I would never hold my child back from learning
something he is clearly ready to learn, but I want him to have a
babyhood free from school-like instruction. There are plenty of other
ways to learn, and plenty of time later in life for school.

I apologize if I sound critical. I shouldn't criticize someone for
wanting their child to be successful, whatever methods you choose.
This is just my personal philosophy.
Old January 1st 04, 04:58 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Sue wrote:

Oh you would be surprised at what lengths people go to, to have a smarter,
brighter child. It's all the rage now. Having an average child is not enough
anymore.

It's nothing about smarter or brighter. Children are already smart and
bright. It's about giving them opportunities to communicate and
understand the adult world sooner, because it is the frustration of
every child to be hopelessly bored and misunderstood because of lack of
communication skills. I'd rather have my child occupied with and riveted
to their latest book than screaming in their playpen, bored to tears,
because I have to do the dishes.

I also remember being very young (4-5) and throwing fits because people
wouldn't read more than 1-2 books to me at a time and I wanted to devour
them all. My family thinks the old story of me threatening to beat up my
big sister if she didn't read me another book is hilarious, and tells
how I huffed myself up to her reply of "No" with, "Then I'll just learn
how to read myself!" Unfortunately that didn't happen until I got to
school at age 6. I find it hopelessly tragic and am upset that they
didn't attempt to teach me anything besides my own name and what a stop
sign was.

Just reading everyday to your child will be enough. Don't worry about trying
to teach it to read.

It's not enough for my child. Children have very bad eyesight (are
nearsighted) until their eyes fully develop around age 2-3. They can't
focus on the small text in most books and will only be able to see the
pictures. While it will teach them that books are fun things, I believe
in giving them more tools than this. If I sit down and transcribe books
so the text is bigger, so they can actually focus on them, and THEN read
the books with my child, THAT would be a much more rewarding experience
because then they could focus on the words and know that they stood for
something.

Old January 1st 04, 05:01 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Lizajane wrote:

intentional! Now, I would never hold my child back from learning
something he is clearly ready to learn, but I want him to have a
babyhood free from school-like instruction. There are plenty of other
ways to learn, and plenty of time later in life for school.

I want my children to have a *lifetime* free of school-like instruction.
I can't imagine a more boring existence. I had many years of it myself
and only enjoyed the first couple of years when things were new and fun.
The rest of the time it was old hat, full of bored teachers, boring
lectures... when I hit Algebra II/Trig I actually had a teacher who was
excited and animated about teaching his subject. Sad that there was only
the one.