chances of m/c

Old May 28th 04, 09:12 AM
Kazh

Default chances of m/c

I know what you mean by ''gut feeling'' I was convinced I was pg.
Then when my period started, I felt nauseous, had a banging headache I =
couldn't shift all day, had stomach cramps for a week and =
backache.............I put the pains down to my period, headache down to =
my high blood pressure and nausea down to a bug going round, but I knew =
there was ''something'' doing on with my body, you just have a feeling =
things aren't right.........

Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by hpt test?

I did 3 HCG tests, all negative.

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message =
link.net...
Sometimes you don't ever know officially -- sometimes its just a gut
feeling. Sometimes you get a positive pregnancy test, and get your =
period a
week later.

Since your periods are normally 5 heavy days of spotting, you might want =
take another hpt, just to be sure. Especially with the history you have
with your son, of not showing up positive, even when you were pregnant.
--=20

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Old May 28th 04, 01:16 PM
Marion Boulden

Kazh wrote:

I know what you mean by ''gut feeling'' I was convinced I was pg.
Then when my period started, I felt nauseous, had a banging headache I couldn't shift all day, had stomach cramps for a week and backache.............I put the pains down to my period, headache down to my high blood pressure and nausea down to a bug going round, but I knew there was ''something'' doing on with my body, you just have a feeling things aren't right.........

Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by hpt test?

I did 3 HCG tests, all negative.

HPT= Home Pregnancy Test (which tests for HCG)

Marion

Old May 28th 04, 01:54 PM
Donna Metler

"Jenrose" wrote in message
s.com...

"Shannon" wrote in message
I was just curious...I noticed that unfortunately there are a several
people on this newsgroup who have gone through the experience of a m/c.
I was curious if anyone knows what the chance of this occuring are. I
don't know anyone personally who experienced this so I always thought
the chances were really really low. I'm thinking that there are a
higher number on mkp because of the type of place this is and because
it is so supportive. I thought I read that the rate was actually around
10%. Just wondering....

My informal survey having miscarried on Monday is that of the dozens of
women I've talked to in the past 4 days, only one actually said she'd

never
had one. Approximately 80% of the remainder had had a miscarriage at some
point, and 20% didn't say. Very approximate. But almost *every* woman I

know
over age 35 who's had at least one pregnancy has had at least one
miscarriage as well.

My best friend, when she miscarried, said that she had never known of

anyone
to have had a miscarriage until she had one herself. And that as soon as

she
had one, people came out of the woodworks saying, "oh, I had one...' Her
next-door neighbor of 20 years had had 3 and she'd never known. She said

it
****ed her off because she thought she was a freak of nature until she
realized how common it was.

I've been told that approximately 40% of women will have a miscarriage at
some point in their lives.

My mother had two
I have had one known and one possible
My best friend had one
My boss had two
Some of my aunts said they'd had miscarriages, and I'm learning of several
cousins who have.
My neighbor had one a couple months ago.
And on one TTC list I'm on...we had 20 women on the list who ovulated

around
the same time. 8 got positive pg tests. By 7 weeks, 6 days, all but two

had
miscarried. That's 75%.... Keep in mind that out of those 6, 2 were by 5
weeks, 2 by 6 1/2 weeks, and 2 by 7 1/2 weeks. Now, it is a slightly

higher
risk population, self-selected by being on that board in the first place.

It
was pretty dang phenomenal that 8 of us got knocked up in the same month.
But the m/c rate is equally high.
My daughter's friend's mom had one
My grandmother had one

Jenrose

OTOH, I've met only a handful women, outside of pregnancy loss support
groups, and only one other under the age of 40 who have had late-term
pregnancy losses-and this was with everyone and their sister trying to
comfort me and be supportive. So while early m/c is pretty common (and
becoming far more visible, because people are more aware of when they
concieve now), the later losses are, if anything, becoming less common.
Sometimes it really annoys me-when I had the u/s at 7 weeks, and there was a
heartbeat, the reaction of a lot of people seemed to be "Oh,
good-everything's going to be fine". I am well aware that things can look
fine on an u/s and in the OB's office-and crash suddenly, much later. It may
not be normal for it to happen, but it can.

But, the bottom line is that for MOST women, once you get past the first few
months, you're probably going to come home with a baby.

Old May 28th 04, 02:01 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Jenrose wrote:

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that you *do* know quite
a few people who have suffered miscarriages. They just
haven't said anything to you (no reflection on your character--
some people just don't tell hardly anyone).

Honestly, for me, I can understand not telling. I finally reached a point
where if one more person asked me how I was doing, I was going to bite them
and scream loudly. Not conducive to long term sanity. But since I told so
many I was pg, I *really* didn't want people dropping me a line a few months
down the road and saying, "How's the pg coming?"

Absolutely. I can certainly understand why people
wouldn't announce a pregnancy until later so that they didn't
have to deal with announcing a miscarriage as well. I can
understand the other side as well. I think it just depends
on the person and the situation. I think more people keep
their pregnancies quiet for most of the first trimester
than not, and I know an awful lot of people who didn't tell
hardly anyone about the pregnancy or the miscarriage--
especially if they've been burned before.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 28th 04, 02:37 PM
JennP

"Jenrose" wrote in message
s.com...

But since I told so
many I was pg, I *really* didn't want people dropping me a line a few

months
down the road and saying, "How's the pg coming?"

Ugh! I had that happen to me after my first m/c. Actually, it was so long
after that I had just had my second m/c and the aquaintance said, "How's the
baby?" thinking the baby from the first m/c was born. She was mortified and
I was too, but I knew it would happen eventually because there's no way she
would have known and I hadn't seen her.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old May 28th 04, 02:40 PM
JennP

"Donna Metler" wrote in message

Sometimes it really annoys me-when I had the u/s at 7 weeks, and there was

heartbeat, the reaction of a lot of people seemed to be "Oh,
good-everything's going to be fine". I am well aware that things can look
fine on an u/s and in the OB's office-and crash suddenly, much later. It

may
not be normal for it to happen, but it can.

Oh, I know. I didn't have late term m/c's but my first was between 11-12
weeks and my second was much earlier. The first time, I had seen the
heartbeat at 9 weeks, nice and strong. A few weeks later, I m/c'd. With my
second m/c'd pregnancy and this current one, people kept saying that it
would make my blood boil. I know they meant well, but just because you see
the heartbeat doesn't insure anything.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old May 28th 04, 02:45 PM
JennP

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message

Absolutely. I can certainly understand why people
wouldn't announce a pregnancy until later so that they didn't
have to deal with announcing a miscarriage as well. I can
understand the other side as well. I think it just depends
on the person and the situation. I think more people keep
their pregnancies quiet for most of the first trimester
than not, and I know an awful lot of people who didn't tell
hardly anyone about the pregnancy or the miscarriage--
especially if they've been burned before.

You know, after my first m/c I said with the next one that I would tell
people earlier because I didn't want to have go through the agony of
explaining to close family and freinds that I was pregnant and now I'm not
and that's why I might be miserable for a while. I swore the next pg I would
tell earlier, but we didn't. I was glad, because I m/c'd early. This
pregnancy I really didn't start telling anyone other than very close friends
and family until about a week go and I'm 18 weeks. I didn't tell family
until I was about 15 weeks. Only a few very close freinds knew earlier on.
They are really my support group so I needed to let them know. I hate to say
it, but my family was just too high maintainence, too emotionally connected
and I couldn't deal with that.
You couldn't tell I was pregnant anyway so I wanted to keep it as quiet as
possible. I'm glad I waited.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old May 28th 04, 03:10 PM
Melody

"JennP" wrote in message
newsjHtc.4796$4A6.3105@attbi_s52...

just because you see
the heartbeat doesn't insure anything.

I'm so sorry for your losses...

But, my midwife did explain to me (and I've read it other places) that once
you do see a heartbeat there's a 90% chance of having a viable pregnancy.

Melody

Old May 28th 04, 03:40 PM
Mary W.

JennP wrote:

[...]

We hadn't told very many people we were pregnant when I miscarried, and
for us it was the right decision (although my family is much less high
maintenance, and were very supportive when they found out). For the last
two pregnancies (DD, and current one) we told family only early. This
pregnancy we didn't tell friends until 15 weeks (and my MIL at 20 weeks,
*she* is high maintainence).

I've just recently started telling people that we had miscarried (which
happened in 1999), and usually only if it comes up in conversation
(which it actually does sometimes).

But again, for some people, its better for them to have people know,
for us it wasn't.

Mary

Old May 28th 04, 03:54 PM
Unadulterated Me

Jenrose wrote:

I've been told that approximately 40% of women will have a miscarriage at
some point in their lives.

I managed to have 8 full term pregnancies before I experienced one. I
had convinced myself I was immune, then when it happened I was in total
shock. I really lost the plot for a while, I really needed a reason why,
I blamed everyone and everything from drinking coffee to blaming my
husband for having deformed sperm. I so missed that little baby, I was
heartbroken.

Meningitis?? DH exposure and risks etc.. Jill Pregnancy 4 March 12th 04 07:54 AM
Chances of EDD being off by a good bit? Jill Pregnancy 13 March 11th 04 08:39 PM
Update (not good) Emily Pregnancy 146 March 2nd 04 08:06 PM
Planning for a second baby alyssa Pregnancy 54 January 13th 04 11:59 PM
Chances of early labour? shaz Pregnancy 6 September 22nd 03 04:35 PM