toxoplasmosis

Old June 3rd 04, 03:12 PM
Rob

Default toxoplasmosis

I'm just having a little argument with my wife about toxoplasmosis. She
insists pregnant women should not clean a cat litter box because of
toxoplasmosis (note: this is just an academic debate, she is not pregnant).
I think that if the cats are house cats and are not allowed out of the
house, then there is no way they can carry the bacteria, thus pose zero
risk.

I've scoured the net and found sites that try to scare the crap out of
pregnant women, others that say even outdoor cats are a tiny risk, but
nothing that really discusses house cats. I'd like to find a good
documented source to show that house cats pose no risk, or something proving
me wrong. Thanks!

Old June 3rd 04, 03:32 PM
jacquel

The book Think Like a Cat by Pam Johnson-Bennett supports your argument.

Toxoplasmosis comes from the car's prey. If you have an indoor cat, then
presumably, they are not catching their own food and not consuming uncooked
meat. The parasite can also be caught from not preparing meat properly in
the kitchen, completely unrelated to the activity of a a cat.

The book suggests that if pregnant women wear gloves and/or wash their hands
while scooping they can remain safe.

jacquel

Old June 3rd 04, 03:39 PM
She's A Goddess

"Rob" wrote in message
I'm just having a little argument with my wife about toxoplasmosis. She
insists pregnant women should not clean a cat litter box because of
toxoplasmosis (note: this is just an academic debate, she is not

pregnant).
I think that if the cats are house cats and are not allowed out of the
house, then there is no way they can carry the bacteria, thus pose zero
risk.

My recollection is that there is still a slight risk. I recollect this
because I turned over all duties of litter box cleaning to my DH when we had
a 100% indoor cat. Google "Hillary" and "toxoplasmosis". You should find a
wonderful sheet that she has written up and posted here many times that is
more informative than any lay person ever really needs

--
Rhiannon
Mom to M. Girl (2 3/4 years) and O. Boy (11 months)

Old June 3rd 04, 03:43 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

[not cross posted, as usual for me]

Rob wrote:
I'm just having a little argument with my wife about toxoplasmosis. She
insists pregnant women should not clean a cat litter box because of
toxoplasmosis (note: this is just an academic debate, she is not pregnant).
I think that if the cats are house cats and are not allowed out of the
house, then there is no way they can carry the bacteria, thus pose zero
risk.

I've scoured the net and found sites that try to scare the crap out of
pregnant women, others that say even outdoor cats are a tiny risk, but
nothing that really discusses house cats. I'd like to find a good
documented source to show that house cats pose no risk, or something proving
me wrong. Thanks!

Well if she ever becomes pregnant, she can have herself tested for
immunity. This is not what you're looking for, but I thought I would
mention it anyway.

I wish I could give you an actual answer to your question, but I've
never looked this up myself. I tend to not really listen to all the
hoopla about stuff like this - I find that people tend to go nuts when
it comes to pregnant women, and they don't necessarily think rationally.
I'm sure you've learned by now to ignore 99.9% of the websites out
there. ;-) Anyway, have you tried the literature? If you haven't
already done so, try looking around he
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Entrez/

A couple of things I found:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entre..._uids=14526331
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entre..._uids=11876570

I have not done a thorough search, but I'm suspecting that no real study
has been done to determine just what the risk is with toxoplasmosis
(possibly because they can't really do one, as was mentioned in the
second article). Possibly all we know is that it's a potential cause,
but that's all. (oh, and it's not guaranteed to cause stillbirth - I
think a lot of people forget that) For some people, just knowing that
it's a cause is enough to make them worry.

Old June 3rd 04, 04:01 PM
libbymom04

In my opinion it is better to be safe than sorry when it comes to your
unborn children. I personally put my cat outside when I found out I was
pregnant. The research I did when I was pregnant I found that any cat
could put you at risk even if it is a small percent.

Old June 3rd 04, 04:13 PM
Tori M.

Well, it depends, I HAVE to change my cats litter because my husband said
"It is your cat, not mine." and since I dont want to get rid of the cat I
asked thedr if changing the cat box really put me at a high risk considering
these things.

1.) Toxoplasmosis is a 1 time only thing.
2.) I have had cats since I was born so the odds of me not already coming in
contact with it are slim.
3.) You can wear gloves while changing litter cutting your contact down even
more.

My dr. just said to be sure that I was my hands after I handle the litter
and I should be fine. And since really you should wash your hands ANYWAY I
guess that is good advice.

About the indoor/outdoor cat thing I would think that if the kittens mother
had the disease then the kittens would have it as well... so I dont think it
matters one way or the other. I would not say that any cat has a zero risk
of having it since at one point all cats are in the company of anouther cat.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04

Old June 3rd 04, 04:17 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Rob wrote:

I'm just having a little argument with my wife about toxoplasmosis. She
insists pregnant women should not clean a cat litter box because of
toxoplasmosis (note: this is just an academic debate, she is not pregnant).
I think that if the cats are house cats and are not allowed out of the
house, then there is no way they can carry the bacteria, thus pose zero
risk.

I've scoured the net and found sites that try to scare the crap out of
pregnant women, others that say even outdoor cats are a tiny risk, but
nothing that really discusses house cats. I'd like to find a good
documented source to show that house cats pose no risk, or something proving
me wrong. Thanks!

*If* the cat has been completely and totally indoors for
more than 35 days, has eating *nothing* but commercially
prepared food (no hunting), and uses only its own litter
box, then the odds of the cat having toxoplasmosis are
extremely small. However, because the consequences to
the unborn child can be so devastating, it is recommended
that pregnant women err on the side of caution either by
not changing cat litter at all, or by wearing gloves and
cleaning the litter box twice a day and washing thoroughly
afterwards. If the cat does not meet all the above
conditions, there is a chance that the cat could have
toxoplasmosis. Roughly a third of all women have had
toxoplasmosis, and they mostly got it from their pet
cats, so it's hardly rare.
Of course, in addition, pregnancy women should
take caution with outdoor gardening and raw or undercooked
meats as well.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old June 3rd 04, 04:50 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Rob wrote:

*I'm just having a little argument with my wife about toxoplasmosis. She
*insists pregnant women should not clean a cat litter box because of
*toxoplasmosis (note: this is just an academic debate, she is not pregnant).
*I think that if the cats are house cats and are not allowed out of the
*house, then there is no way they can carry the bacteria, thus pose zero
*risk.

It's not a bacteria, it is a parasite. Housecats absolutely can shed
oocysts which become infectious - but the oocysts have to sporulate 24 hrs
to do so.

You are both wrong.

http://www.hillary.net/school/toxo.txt

Old June 3rd 04, 06:33 PM
Jamie Clark

Just offer to change the cat litter for her once she is pregnant. Don't
bother trying to WIN this argument. Just go for the bonus points. : )
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,