c-section fears

Old June 4th 04, 09:05 PM
tigger

Default c-section fears

I posted a couple of weeks ago about cloth diapers and got some great
advice. We decided to go with Chinese prefolds and whisper wrap
covers. Now I'm hoping for some more advice and reassurance.

We went to our 38-week appointment on Tuesday and they did an
ultrasound to check the weight since I've been measuring ahead for the
entire pregnancy. The ultrasound tech. confirmed (again) that it was a
girl and estimated her weight at 9 lbs! Our OB/GYN had been concerned
that she'd be a small baby because of all of my hyperemesis
gravardium...until my 37 week appointment when she decided to check
with the ultrasound. From what they could tell, she's healthy and BIG!

The bad part is that the baby decided to turn on Monday (at least we
think it was on Monday cause you could see her going crazy in
there!)so she's now in a breech position. Our OB/GYN is shocked that
she flipped because she's so big and "that's not supposed to happen at
this point." Because of her size and how far along I am, they won't do
a version and have scheduled me for a c-section this on Monday.

This isn't something we'd even considered before (unless, of course,
it was necessary because of problems in labor) and I'm completely
freaking out. All I can think of are the problems that are associated
with c-sections. I trust her decision that this is the best ting for
the baby, but I'm still worried. I'm hoping that someone out there
has something reassuring that they can tell me?

-Lesley
Old June 4th 04, 09:26 PM
Jacqui

tigger wibbled

This isn't something we'd even considered before (unless, of
course, it was necessary because of problems in labor) and I'm
completely freaking out. All I can think of are the problems that
are associated with c-sections. I trust her decision that this is
the best ting for the baby, but I'm still worried. I'm hoping
that someone out there has something reassuring that they can tell
me?

A planned section has fewer (but some different) risks than an
emergency one, although both have more risks than 'normal'
deliveries. You can go into it well-rested and fully prepared, which
is a big plus, and it won't happen at midnight, so you'll get some
sensible daylight time with the baby and your partner and any
visitors you want to see! ;-)

We had some problems but T's stay in SCBU would have happened no
matter what the method of delivery, and my infection was post-
operative care-related rather than surgery-related. Being prepared
in advance for a section you can make arrangements for more
assistance than you'd expected to need after the birth, make your
home section-recovery-friendly (place items where you will need
them, make yourself a daytime nest, clear obstacles if necessary,
etc) and so on, things that minimise risks of complications. Clear
your post-partum diary for a few weeks, make your home comfortable
and easy to manage, take up any offers of help, and don't stress!

If you get the chance to use some aromatherapy, frankincense works
beautifully for surgery IME.

Jac

Old June 4th 04, 09:39 PM
Elana Person

"tigger" wrote in message
om...
snip
The bad part is that the baby decided to turn on Monday (at least we
think it was on Monday cause you could see her going crazy in
there!)so she's now in a breech position. Our OB/GYN is shocked that
she flipped because she's so big and "that's not supposed to happen at
this point." Because of her size and how far along I am, they won't do
a version and have scheduled me for a c-section this on Monday.

This isn't something we'd even considered before (unless, of course,
it was necessary because of problems in labor) and I'm completely
freaking out. All I can think of are the problems that are associated
with c-sections. I trust her decision that this is the best ting for
the baby, but I'm still worried. I'm hoping that someone out there
has something reassuring that they can tell me?

-Lesley

Hi Lesley,

I am mostly lurker since my 2 DSs are 3.5 and almost 2. But I had scheduled
c-sections with both of them. DS #1 was also breech and DS#2 was a repeat.
I was a little freaked out, but everything went very well. In the hospital,
I did have DH changing diapers in the beginning because I was overweight and
had a hard time getting out of bed the first day. Otherwise, my attemts at
nursing were not affected by the section at all.

I had a fairly easy recovery from both. My only problem was with #1 and
that was because I didn't eat for 18 hours and then took a hot shower, so I
fainted.

Luckily I live in a ranch style home, so stairs were not an issue, but I had
everything where I needed it.

I'm not sure if I helped at all, but that's my story.

Elana
Mom to Timmy 1/5/01 and Sam 8/28/02

p.s. My sister's name is also Lesley

Old June 4th 04, 10:03 PM
Sophie

Can't help with the breech part, I'm sure others can, or the guessimation of
the weight.

I'll be having my 4th c-section soon. With a planned one you can get a lot
of stuff done at home before you go - clean, get laundry done, get meals
frozen, etc...Also you won't feel as bad physically cos you won't have gone
through hours of labor first, you won't be in the middle of the night in
pain, somehow in the daylight it's more manageable.

Just do things slowly, if it hurts or tires you out, stop. You'll be fine.

--
Sophie
#4 due July 7, 2004

Old June 5th 04, 02:32 AM
Kim E.

In article ,
says...
[...]

Did you ask your doc if s/he would try to turn the baby? If you'd
prefer not to have the c-section, maybe you could get a second opinion,
although for some reason it seems that these days OBs just like c-
sections for breeches. It didn't used to be that way as several of my
relatives had vaginal breech births say 15 or so yrs ago.

-kim
Old June 5th 04, 03:05 AM
HollyLewis

This isn't something we'd even considered before (unless, of course,
it was necessary because of problems in labor) and I'm completely
freaking out. All I can think of are the problems that are associated
with c-sections. I trust her decision that this is the best ting for
the baby, but I'm still worried. I'm hoping that someone out there
has something reassuring that they can tell me?

-Lesley

I just went through something very similar (baby was average size, but I had
low amniotic fluid levels), and although we *did* find a doctor willing to
attempt a version -- twice! -- both attempts failed and my baby was born by
C-section at 38w2d.

In my case, at least, I'd had a prior C-section -- unplanned because we didn't
*know* that the baby was breech until after I'd already been in labor all day
-- and at the same hospital, so I wasn't also dealing with just the fear of the
unknown. But it certainly wasn't the outcome I'd hoped for with this
pregnancy; I'd had every intention of a VBAC.

Yes, there are definitely a lot of risks associated with surgical birth, and
neither the procedure itself nor the recovery from it are loads of fun. (The
process of placing the epidural, in fact, was the most unpleasant experience
I've had in a very long time.) But still, the chances of a complication-free
surgery resulting in a healthy mama and a healthy baby are very high. You will
almost certainly be fine. Make sure you discuss the post-partum procedures
carefully with your doctors (you want mostly to ensure that you are reunited
with your baby ASAP), and line up lots of help at home for the first week or so
in case you are not able to move around easily.

Also: You might be able to find someone willing to try a version. It's worth
seeking out some other doctors who might have a different attitude toward your
situation. (Some of the perinatologists my doctor consulted totally freaked
out over the borderline fluid levels and wanted to perform a section pronto --
at 36 weeks! -- while others were much more relaxed about it, recommending
twice-a-week monitoring and otherwise proceeding basically the same as in any
other breech pregnancy. Ultrasound estimates of size are notoriously
inaccurate in late pregnancy, so it's quite possible that your baby is smaller
than they think, and even if it's not, it's very unlikely that you would NOT be
able to deliver even a 10-pounder normally -- if the baby weren't breech. And
babies who were vertex but flipped to breech at 38 weeks are fairly likely to
turn again before labor starts, so your chances of a successful version ought
to be pretty good. What they did with me was a "regular" version at 36 weeks,
and when that failed, a second attempt immediately before the C-section, after
the epidural was in. The idea was that the anaesthesia might loosen things up
just enough and allow them to push just enough harder that the baby would turn.
If it had, I would have simply waited for the epidural to wear off and gone
home to wait for labor to begin spontaneously. (I could also have chosen an
induction, but especially with a prior C-section that didn't seem like a very
good idea!) Since it didn't, they proceeded with the section.

My daughter is a week old now and we're both just fine. :-)

HTH
Holly
Mom to Camden, 3yo
and Laurel, 1 week
Old June 5th 04, 03:19 AM
Leslie

ing just a smidge under 8 pounds). The worst thing that could happen
is that the version attempt might necessitate a C-section (which is a *very*
rare complication), which is about what they're going to do anyway. By far
the
most likely thing is either that the version would work, or that it wouldn't
work and you'd be back with a planned section. I can see that if the breech
position had happened earlier, they might ideally have *planned* a version
for
37 weeks or so, but I don't see at all what you or they have to lose by
trying
one later.

ITA, Helen. To the OP, please ask your doctor to give version a try! And
also, if baby flipped once she might do it again--why not try some of the
midwife recs for getting baby to turn back naturally? I have some links if you
are interested.

Leslie
Old June 5th 04, 03:25 AM
Leslie

Lesley,

I can so sympathize with you because I have had three sections, two for breech,
one of which was a heartbreaking surprise when I was eight cm dilated and the
OB said, "That's not a head!" That baby had turned on his own since my last
appointment, and he weighed 11.5 lbs. So as I posted in agreement with Helen,
there's certainly a chance your baby might turn back again and if it were me I
would see what other options are out there before going straight to a section.

Another thing, why let her section you before your due date? Personally, I
think it's better for the baby to let her choose her own birthday and go
through a little labor before the section if you must have one.

Whatever happens, you're going to be okay! Like I said, I've had three and I'm
just fine. But my philosophy would be to try everything under the sun before
consenting to a section.

Leslie
Old June 5th 04, 04:03 AM
Ericka Kammerer

tigger wrote:

We went to our 38-week appointment on Tuesday and they did an
ultrasound to check the weight since I've been measuring ahead for the
entire pregnancy. The ultrasound tech. confirmed (again) that it was a
girl and estimated her weight at 9 lbs! Our OB/GYN had been concerned
that she'd be a small baby because of all of my hyperemesis
gravardium...until my 37 week appointment when she decided to check
with the ultrasound. From what they could tell, she's healthy and BIG!

Dear God, I wish they'd stop doing that. Please, Just
Say NO!!! to late term u/s to check size unless there's a
really good reason (e.g., measurements are significantly
outside normal, not just a bit ahead). Late term u/s
estimates of size can be off by POUNDS. Not only that,
but even if they're accurate, they don't say squat about
whether or not you can birth the baby vaginally. They
do, however, put you at higher risk of intervention just
because people think your baby's big. One study showed
that when doctors thought the baby was big, the mother
was significantly more likely to have a c-section than
other women WHO GAVE BIRTH TO THE SAME SIZE BABY where
they didn't suspect a large baby.

The bad part is that the baby decided to turn on Monday (at least we
think it was on Monday cause you could see her going crazy in
there!)so she's now in a breech position. Our OB/GYN is shocked that
she flipped because she's so big and "that's not supposed to happen at
this point." Because of her size and how far along I am, they won't do
a version and have scheduled me for a c-section this on Monday.

Get a second opinion, pronto. If she could flip
on her own, I don't see why it's unreasonable to try to
turn her back. Call around and find out who the version
guru in your area is and get in to see him or her immediately.

This isn't something we'd even considered before (unless, of course,
it was necessary because of problems in labor) and I'm completely
freaking out. All I can think of are the problems that are associated
with c-sections. I trust her decision that this is the best ting for
the baby, but I'm still worried. I'm hoping that someone out there
has something reassuring that they can tell me?

If the c-section turns out to be necessary, then
the good news is that they generally go very well, especially
for the baby. However, I wouldn't agree to one yet. I'd
be getting another opinion and pushing on the version front.
It doesn't have to be an all or nothing proposition. You're
full term, so the worst that can happen is that the version
precipitates a c-section! How are you any worse off in that
case? And they don't have to give it 110 percent on the
version. If gentle persuasion isn't enough, maybe they
stop trying and you stick with the planned c-section, rather
than ratcheting up the pressure until it maybe gets more
dangerous. I think you still have options to explore, with
the right caregiver.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Cesarean Section Booklet Jodi Pregnancy 2 April 16th 04 06:23 PM
Fears of Smothering While Co Sleeping Carol Ann Pregnancy 21 April 14th 04 05:23 PM
stats deja blues General 10 October 10th 03 06:55 PM
Hi all..introduction, questions, fears (misc. mentioned) Nancy Verzich Pregnancy 6 September 19th 03 08:16 PM
DRUGS-INDUCED/DRUGS CAN WORSEN RLS/PLMD: CAUTION! RLS/PLMD patients taking a medication prescribed by their qualified healthcare provider in this Section should not abruptly stop it. They should consult their qualified healthcare provider first. [email protected] Pregnancy 0 July 16th 03 05:58 AM