Boy or Girl?

Old July 23rd 03, 11:09 PM
Nick

Default Boy or Girl?

If my first child is a female is it probbable that my second one will be?
Old July 24th 03, 12:09 AM
Nina

"Nick" wrote in message
om...
If my first child is a female is it probbable that my second one will be?

Maybe. 50/50 chance

Old July 24th 03, 01:44 AM
Larry McMahan

Nick writes:
: If my first child is a female is it probbable that my second one will be?

Well, in the first place, there is usually not a connection between the
gender of your first child and the gender of your second.

In the second place, many people are saying that your chances are 50/50.
In general this is true, but Some people have a predisposition that favors
one or the other, and in some cases it is possible to skew the odds.

Why do you care? Are you trying to influence the outcome for a prenancy
yet to be consumated, or are you just trying to figure the odds on a
fait accompi?

Larry
Old July 24th 03, 12:37 PM
silvasurfa

"Nick" wrote in message
om...
If my first child is a female is it probbable that my second one will be?

Once you've had a child of one gender, your chances of getting another of
the same gender are *slighty* over 50% because there are some conditions out
there (men with Y predominating sperm, women with acidic cervical mucous)
that lead to families that tend strongly towards one gender or the other.
But this is only a slight increase in probability.

Old July 24th 03, 04:42 PM
lynn

In article ,
(H Schinske) wrote:

wrote:

Well, in the first place, there is usually not a connection between the
gender of your first child and the gender of your second.

I think it's interesting, though, that before you have any children at all,
and
assuming you will at some point have two and only two, the odds of having
children of different sexes are only one in three (about a third of folks
with
two children have two boys, about a third have two girls, about a third have
one of each). Whereas if you've already had one baby, of either sex, your
chance of having one of each after your next birth magically goes up to one
in
two :-)

(Yes, I know why this happens. I just think it's cute. Humor me.)

--Helen

Um. I'd like to humor you, but I like probability more. And your
statement doesn't make any sense.

The probability that a hypothetical couple (HC) who will have 2 kids
will have one of each is one in two.
The HC's children will either come out as: BB, BG, GB, GG. 4
possibilities, each equally likely, 2 of the 4 possibilities give you
one of each, 2/4 = 50% = 1/2.

Once they've already had one baby, then the probability of having one of
each after the next birth is still 1/2.

Maybe you're thinking of the old puzzle which goes like this - I have
two children, at least one of whom is a boy. What's the probability that
the other is a boy?

The probability of my having two boys would be 1/3, because you've
narrowed it down to either: BB, BG, or GB.

(Note: To some extent, this depends on how you interpret the puzzle. For
lots more discussion, see for example:
http://www.curiouser.co.uk/us/kids.htm
http://www.icdc.com/~samba/marlright/children.htm
)

- Lynn
Old July 24th 03, 06:51 PM
andrea

Default Boy or Girl? (for Lynn)

Whoops I mean Lynn!

--
Andrea mom of -
Peter 7, Ellie 5, Alden 3, Joseph 21 mths & little munchie man Kamron 6