What're You Feedin' Them?

Old August 5th 03, 10:09 PM
Sonnie B.

Default What're You Feedin' Them?

Hey again, just curious what people are feeding their kids for
breakfast these days.

And as a side note, I've found a successful way to get my DS & DD (2
eat lots of vegetables...

I take the veggies they usually never eat like peas, squash, zuccini,
even eggplant,
and toss it into the food processor. I process the heck out of it
until it turns into
a lumpy paste. Mix the paste into dishes like Mac n' Cheese, or
spaghetti with meatballs,
or even tuna casserole and my kids are literally asking for seconds.

The key is to make sure the dish is well flavored, well salted, and
the veggie taste is subtle.

So far, it's going very well.

Anyhow, what's on your kid's plates? ~ SB
Old August 5th 03, 11:02 PM
P. Tierney

"Sonnie B." wrote:

Hey again, just curious what people are feeding their kids for
breakfast these days.

Starts with a cereal snack, then usually sausage and rice.
19 months old, been a favorie for a long time.

P.
Tierney

Old August 6th 03, 01:51 AM
Sue

Around here breakfast consists of

Scrambled eggs with cheese, toast sometime sausage or bacon, but not always.
Cereal
Waffles or pancakes
Muffins and juice
Omelets if there is time (we don't always have time for an involved
breakfast once school starts).

And sometimes, by dd3 doesn't really like breakfast foods so she sometimes
eats leftovers, especially if it is pizza or spagetti.

My kids likes all veggies, so I don't have to hide them. I really can't
complain about my children's eating habits. I get frustrated at their
friends because they don't eat as well and it becomes tricky to feed them if
they are over, but mac-n-cheese seems to be a hit with most of them.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

om...

Old August 6th 03, 03:57 PM
user

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:46:30 GMT, 0tterbot wrote:
"Sonnie B." wrote in message
om...
Hey again, just curious what people are feeding their kids for
breakfast these days.

we are currently all hopelessly addicted to porridge (made with milk, not
water.) the cereal boxes are stacking up, unloved.
kylie

Send them our way, we'll give them a good home. ;-)

We go through boxes of raisin bran, cheerios, and
"Good Friends" cereal almost faster than we can get to the
store to replace them.

Old August 6th 03, 06:52 PM
Sue

Oh yeah, that reminds me, oatmeal is also something we have for breakfast
too.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

0tterbot wrote in message
om...

www.rdj.com.au

Old August 6th 03, 11:39 PM
llama mama

(Sonnie B.) wrote in
om:

Hey again, just curious what people are feeding their kids for
breakfast these days.

same thing i eat: leftovers. if we don't have leftovers, then i make
soup or quesadillas or grilled cheese. sometimes he eats some of daddy's
bacon or sausage (daddy eats eggs & some form of meat). toast. bagels
with cream cheese (he eats mostly the cream cheese & i get soggy bagel).
in the winter, oatmeal or cream of wheat.
we use dry cereal for snacking. i don't consider it a real food.

And as a side note, I've found a successful way to get my DS & DD (2
eat lots of vegetables...
I take the veggies they usually never eat like peas, squash, zuccini,
even eggplant,
and toss it into the food processor. I process the heck out of it
until it turns into
a lumpy paste. Mix the paste into dishes like Mac n' Cheese, or
spaghetti with meatballs,
or even tuna casserole and my kids are literally asking for seconds.

i'm lucky. my kid *loves* veggies. he demands broccoli, beets & chard
when we go to the greengrocer. he loves corn, squash of any type (pumpkin
included for you Aussies), shell beans, string beans, you name it & he
probably eats it. he does sometimes have food texture or temperature
issues, but that's a whole different problem than not liking something.

The key is to make sure the dish is well flavored, well salted, and
the veggie taste is subtle.

uh... watch the salt. most people eat *way* too much salt & kids need
even less than adults. i don't salt Boo's stuff at all. i tend not to
salt while cooking & let people add to thier taste at table. things taste
different without salt, but you get used to it.

Anyhow, what's on your kid's plates?

Boo also eats things i don't. seafood & fish mostly. seafood when we eat
out & fish if daddy can grill it outside. i'm so allergic i can't cook it
or have it cooked indoors.
oh, he doesn't drink cow's milk. doesn't like it.

lee
--
It is paradoxical that many educators and parents still differentiate
between a time for learning and a time for play without seeing the vital
Old August 7th 03, 05:53 PM
lynn

In article ,
user wrote:

We go through boxes of raisin bran, cheerios, and
"Good Friends" cereal almost faster than we can get to the
store to replace them.

That sounds like us. We try to keep cheerios (honey nut or multi-grain)
and raisin bran on hand, and DS (2.5) likes to eat "both" at breakfast,
mixed together, with as many extra raisins as I let him have.

FWIW, I ate raisin bran almost every single morning all through my
elementary years, growing up.

- Lynn