booster at what age?

Old August 7th 03, 01:27 AM
Jean

Default booster at what age?

hi, at what age do we transfer child to a booster instead of car seat.
thank you.

regards,
jean
Old August 7th 03, 11:16 AM
just me

"Jean" wrote in message
m...
hi, at what age do we transfer child to a booster instead of car seat.
thank you.

Essentially, when they no longer fit in their toddler car seat. I think we
switched DS, who has always been in the 90% in height/weight for his age, at
about age 3.5 or 4.

-Aula

---

Old August 7th 03, 04:52 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

Switching from a 5-point harness to a belt-positioning booster depends
upon just two things:

Is your child heavy enough to be safe in the booster? If not, the
automatics seatbelt won't lock in case of a suddent stop. (It won't
think there's anything in the seat to be saved.)

Is your child mature enough to NOT unlatch the seatbelt without
permission? (I'd say around 3-4 years of age for that, depending on the
individual child. Probably 3 1/2 years minimum.)

Remember that the belt-positioning booster should be used with a
SHOULDER belt. Also, the shoulder belt should go through the
shoulder-level positioner firmly, otherside the top of the booster
becomes a missile that can hit your child squarely in the head, or pull
the seatbelt in such a way as to cut hard against his neck (with
consequent serious damage to the child).

Do keep your kids in boosters until they are as close to 8 years and 80
pounds as you can manage. When sitting without the booster, they need
to be heavy enough to trigger the seatbelt's automatic lock, tall enough
that the shoulder belt doesn't cut across the neck, and long enough in
the leg that their knees naturally bend at the front edge of the seat,
and the lap belt passes over the hip.

--Beth Kevles

Old August 8th 03, 04:44 AM
Nikki

Jean wrote:
hi, at what age do we transfer child to a booster instead of car seat.
thank you.

regards,
jean

We moved Hunter at 2.5 but we had one that had a harness. The weight
requirements of the various boosters are on the box. Not all boosters have
harnesses.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old August 8th 03, 03:46 PM
Nikki

Beth Kevles wrote:

Is your child mature enough to NOT unlatch the seatbelt without
permission? (I'd say around 3-4 years of age for that, depending on
the individual child. Probably 3 1/2 years minimum.)

Hunter was fine a bit earlier, then tried it when he was about 4. He just
isn't the personality for it though. Luke on the other hand, I'm going to
be grey :-)

Remember that the belt-positioning booster should be used with a
SHOULDER belt. Also, the shoulder belt should go through the
shoulder-level positioner firmly, otherside the top of the booster
becomes a missile that can hit your child squarely in the head, or
pull the seatbelt in such a way as to cut hard against his neck (with
consequent serious damage to the child).

The shoulder belt should fit adequately of course but I just wanted to
mention that most boosters with seat backs are now made with tethers to keep
them in place.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)